Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
#626 Old 4th Apr 2012 at 5:16 PM
The Colony - The Harrowing True Story of the Exiles of Molokai by John Tayman.
Advertisement
Alchemist
#627 Old 4th Apr 2012 at 5:45 PM
Aye, Saturnfly, Dean Koontz used to be my favourite author when I was in junior high but something hit me the more of his material I read ...he just is a shit writer! I genuinely did enjoy "From the Corner of His Eye" and "False Memory". I think those were published somewhat close together. Maybe he was going through a phase with a certain style that did it for me. But I tried reading the couple novels that came next and just couldn't do it. They were awful! Almost as if they'd been written by different people, really.

I'm still reading A Dance With Dragons by George R. R. Martin. I do not want it to end since it's the 5th and last book so far in the series of 7. Martin takes so long to get these novels out...it really makes me sad to think I won't be able to read any more about these characters any time soon. I don't know what to read next. Anything that doesn't take place in Westeros is going to be disappointing.

Still though, I think I'll try "The Unconquered" by Scott Wallace next. The Amazon has always fascinated me. And the fact that there are/is an/some uncontacted tribe(s) still living there. http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat...conquered_.html
Test Subject
#628 Old 13th Apr 2012 at 5:02 PM
I'm currently reading The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman. I've never read his books before, but my sister bought this one for me. It's quite an easy read, but still enjoyable!
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#629 Old 13th Apr 2012 at 7:12 PM
Well, Amazon have finally decided to resend the book I ordered at Christmas that never arrived - the last of R. Scott Bakker's trilogy - so maybe I'll actually get to read that sometime this year...

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Lab Assistant
#630 Old 19th Apr 2012 at 4:14 PM
I'm currently reading A Game of Thrones (A Song of Ice and Fire) by George R.R. Martin, and given the number of pages, I'll be with it for quite a long time
Alchemist
#631 Old 19th Apr 2012 at 8:35 PM
Reading The Beach by Alex Garland. Very good so far. I was thinking about watching the film the other night and when I looked it up online I saw a lot of folks typically saying the book the movie's based on is much better than the movie, so I gave it a shot. Almost through it now...it was hard to put down and quite well written.
Field Researcher
#632 Old 20th Apr 2012 at 1:27 AM
Reading Brave new world by huxley... I just met this author when I was reading the topic "recommended readings" I thought I'll give it a try. Still on chapter two.

Hope, it is the only thing stronger than fear. A little hope is effective, alot of hope is dangerous.- President Snow
Test Subject
#633 Old 21st Apr 2012 at 5:26 AM
I'm currently reading The Name of the Star by Maureen Johnson, the first book in The Shades of London series.
Mad Poster
#634 Old 25th Apr 2012 at 3:59 AM
Wigfield by Amy Sedaris, Paul Dinello and Stephen Colbert. Funny.
Test Subject
#635 Old 26th Apr 2012 at 9:37 AM
None at the moment. (:
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#636 Old 26th Apr 2012 at 10:41 AM
I had to give up on The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova. Reading all those university scenes just makes me feel guilty about all the work I'm not doing...

I'll go back to it during the summer . Now onto Scarlett Thomas' PopCo!

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Theorist
#637 Old 27th Apr 2012 at 1:44 AM
Reading this book called Eona. Don't know what made me decide to start on that book because I don't usually like reading first person POV. But at least the main character is not so much of a whiny, angsty (wangsty?) character like many protagonists in first-person-POV stories.
Scholar
#638 Old 27th Apr 2012 at 2:50 AM
Eh, I'm reading books on Hitler for a book report in my history class...

THE CAT HAIR WIZARD
Mad Poster
#639 Old 5th Jun 2012 at 2:42 AM
In the Garden of Beasts by Erik Larson, subtitled Love, Terror, and an American Family in Hitler's Berlin. Erik Larson wrote The Devil in the White City about the serial killer at the Chicago World's Fair in 1893 which was also good.
It's about William Dodd, who was appointed U.S. ambassador to Germany in 1933, and his daughter, Martha. I can't recommend this book highly enough if you're interested in the history of the Third Reich or just history in general or if you enjoy a fascinating story.
Test Subject
#640 Old 5th Jun 2012 at 5:04 PM
I'm currently reading Speaking in Tongues by Jefferey Deaver. So far, so good.
Theorist
#641 Old 5th Jun 2012 at 9:25 PM
The Transparent Self by Sydney M. Gerard.

This book is good material for knowing who you are, if you don't know how to know who you are. That sounds pretentious and empty-witted, unfortunately that is my description of the first half of the book. Very good read leading to, through, and up to the conclusion of that topic all in the spirit of personal growth. The rest of the material is him trying to make you a hippie who hates the government, loathes society with venom for being itself, and who contrives to freak out all squares with your inspired, strong self.

There's no real inherent evil intent in it, but somehow I get the feeling it once found its way to Charles Manson's bookshelf.
Forum Resident
#642 Old 5th Jun 2012 at 9:31 PM
I'm currently re-reading White Witch, Black Curse by Kim Harrison.

The moon so bright shows me the way
Deep in the graveyard beside her I lay
Knowing she'll keep me safe from all harms
Though six feet apart, I lay in her arms...
Instructor
#643 Old 6th Jun 2012 at 3:53 AM
In the middle of re-reading the HG trilogy... I'm in Mockingjay, decided to take a break from it though because it got to a boring part.

♫ She's got sunset on her breath, I inhaled just a little bit now I got no fear of death ♫
Instructor
#644 Old 8th Jun 2012 at 12:17 PM
A Danish book called something that'd be translated to "The Great Devil War 4: The Angel of Evil". I'm a bit tired of it by now though. Being the 4th book and all. For some reason book series bore me at the moment.
Theorist
#645 Old 8th Jun 2012 at 2:16 PM
Finished The Name of Wind, The Wise Man's Fear, and The Night Circus this week. Now trying to read the novel version of Assassin's Creed: Renaissance
And all the maladies of the world burst forth from Pandora's cooch
#646 Old 9th Jun 2012 at 12:44 PM
The Silmarillion by Tolkien. I read it this time of year, every year for the last 15 years. And I still have to use the appendix, because everyone has at least three different names that are used depending on whether they are speaking to a Man, Elf, or Dwarf.
Theorist
#647 Old 9th Jun 2012 at 2:58 PM
A friend just lent me The Silmarillion, along with C.S. Lewis's Screwtape Letter. Gonna start reading them soon (in expense of AC:R, I guess)
Mad Poster
#648 Old 5th Jul 2012 at 2:33 PM Last edited by RoseCity : 17th Nov 2014 at 3:18 AM.
The Undead by Dick Teresi.

I saw it at the library and picked it up thinking it was about zombies, but the subtitle is 'Organ Harvesting, the Ice-Water Test, Beating-Heart Cadavers - How Medicine Is Blurring the Line Between Life and Death'.
The concept of brain death was created by a 13 man committee at Harvard in 1968 who laid out a criteria for declaring someone 'brain dead'. There were no experiments or studies undertaken prior to doing this and no data is cited, but it has since become the basis for most of the U.S. state laws regarding brain death. So that was disturbing.
It's a very good book that I recommend everybody read.
(Yeah, sure, you disagree - well, good luck with that)
Inventor
#649 Old 6th Jul 2012 at 4:10 AM
I'm rereading Gone With the Wind again.
Lab Assistant
#650 Old 6th Jul 2012 at 6:07 AM
Stone of Tears, by Terry Goodkind. He's good, but he makes his books so long that after a while I tend to just want it to be over with so I can get on with the next one.
Page 26 of 41