Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
#26 Old 28th Jun 2009 at 8:17 PM
If it's the same thing that happened to mine, it should load in-game without a hitch.
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#27 Old 28th Jun 2009 at 11:41 PM
It wasn't a problem with the save file, just with how I was reading it. There was a type coding in there I hadn't seen before, for a construct I've never seen before even outside of TS3. Apparently the .NET 2.0 feature "yield" looks so innocent but that single little keyword in a program causes an entire class to be created just for it. And the game was coding the type for that class differently than other types. Version 1.3, now up, should fix that.

I'm also amused by the fact that, now that I can open the save, the "triplet" ghosts were born under three different signs. One is Sagittarius, one is Aquarius, and the third is Capricorn. I pity the mother who is in labor long enough to have triplets born under three different signs.
Lab Assistant
#28 Old 29th Jun 2009 at 12:14 AM
Quote: Originally posted by TigerM
It wasn't a problem with the save file, just with how I was reading it. There was a type coding in there I hadn't seen before, for a construct I've never seen before even outside of TS3. Apparently the .NET 2.0 feature "yield" looks so innocent but that single little keyword in a program causes an entire class to be created just for it. And the game was coding the type for that class differently than other types. Version 1.3, now up, should fix that.

Good job finding the problem so quickly haha

I'm also amused by the fact that, now that I can open the save, the "triplet" ghosts were born under three different signs. One is Sagittarius, one is Aquarius, and the third is Capricorn. I pity the mother who is in labor long enough to have triplets born under three different signs.

That is so strange. I didn't even know that sims still had astrological signs before I found the information through the Editor. Judging by that, I'm going to guess it's random what sign they get?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#29 Old 29th Jun 2009 at 12:41 AM
It's easy to find a problem when I can make it happen every time. It's the problem that happens once a week.. maybe... if you catch it right as the clock hits 3:27 and 9 seconds.. those are the hard ones to fix.

As for the sign, I'm not sure if they are actually used for anything but they do seem at least partly random... But all the starting sims (CAS or world residents) seem to be Aries.
Lab Assistant
#30 Old 29th Jun 2009 at 2:26 AM
Haha very true, and yeah - I don't think that they're even displayed anywhere. That's really strange though, one, that'd they'd include it just to have it serve no purpose, and two, that they'd make everyone default to Aries. Meh, it's EAxis, what can you expect?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#31 Old 13th Jul 2009 at 4:16 AM
New version available for download. At this point, if you know what you are doing, you can do quite a bit with your save game. Some of the things I've done with this now...
  • Made unrelated sims into sisters
  • Gave two women a baby together
  • Changed sims into ghosts (Minus the effect other sims get around ghosts when seeing them - though their ghost babies included the effect)
  • Modified friendships between sims

And that's just on the surface of what can be done. I plan to expand the capabilities by adding easier to use interfaces down the road.

Also, at this point I have a working interface for plugins. A plugin can be written to do pretty much anything to a save game that can be done by hand with a package editor and this tool. The entire editing interface is, at this point, implemented completely in terms of the plugin API. The UI of a plugin can be hosted as a view within the program (As the existing editor is) or as a dialog box. I plan to provide at least a few options for common tasks, but if anyone wishes to try jumping in and making plugins as well, let me know.
Lab Assistant
#32 Old 13th Jul 2009 at 11:43 AM Last edited by chaosme : 13th Jul 2009 at 2:35 PM. Reason: Avoid double posting
New version available for download. At this point, if you know what you are doing, you can do quite a bit with your save game. Some of the things I've done with this now...
  • Made unrelated sims into sisters
  • Gave two women a baby together
  • Changed sims into ghosts (Minus the effect other sims get around ghosts when seeing them - though their ghost babies included the effect)
  • Modified friendships between sims

And that's just on the surface of what can be done. I plan to expand the capabilities by adding easier to use interfaces down the road.

Thanks for the update! Been waiting for this to fix my child's relationship with his father. Took a while to realise that I need to right click to change the values but it was a smooth trip following that. Thanks once again!

EDIT: Just wanted to add that editing genealogy in the save game editor can create entire family trees, including associating complete strangers as married and other stuff of that sort. It can also fix the broken marriage line for couples who die in-game (but the relationship between the couples will be ex-wife/husband if you click them and hover over their partner).
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#33 Old 13th Jul 2009 at 8:58 PM
For some things it may not be so obvious how to do them, as I have not put a lot of thought into usability for this part of it. I figured I would focus the usability worries on the parts that are meant to be more user friendly. But that is good feedback on having to figure out to right click, I might look into putting contextual buttons next to values that right now you need to right click to edit.
Test Subject
#34 Old 14th Jul 2009 at 4:11 PM
Ok, please forgive the incredible noobishness of my question, but how do you edit family trees? I have been fiddling around with this, but I haven't gotten the hang of it. I'm trying to reconnect two dead parents on the family tree. Thanks
Lab Assistant
#35 Old 14th Jul 2009 at 5:00 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Slt10T
Ok, please forgive the incredible noobishness of my question, but how do you edit family trees? I have been fiddling around with this, but I haven't gotten the hang of it. I'm trying to reconnect two dead parents on the family tree. Thanks

There are two approaches to getting this done.

One way to do it is as follows:
Assuming the child of the parents are part of your active household, load up the save in edit mode (it defaults to current household - which is your active household - on loading) and expand the mMembers then mSimDescriptions tree. After which, expand the number that corresponds with the child of the parents that you are trying to edit.

Next, expand the mGenealogy then mNaturalParents tree. Expand the tree for the first parent and right click the mSpouse value and select the "Set to..." option. Go into Sims3, Gameplay, Socializing, Genealogy and choose the name of the spouse. After which you can do the same for the mSpouse value of the other parent. I also went into the mSim value for the dead parents and set their mPartner value to their spouse just in case - but I'm not sure if this step is necessary or not.

Alternatively, select Genealogy from the top left drop down menu, then the name of the dead parent in the top right drop down menu. Edit the mSpouse value as previously mentioned for both parents and the mPartner value under mSim.

Do let me know if you can't understand what I've written and I'll try to explain it again. Hope it's been of help!
Field Researcher
#36 Old 14th Jul 2009 at 7:44 PM
I would love to be able to check the census of the save, as in counting number of sims, and also, sort sims with different attributes, see how many male/female, sort all sims in one profession and so on.. useful especially for those homeless families you can't visit. And the NPC:s.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#37 Old 14th Jul 2009 at 9:56 PM
Counting the number of sims is easy. Just select the "Sims" option on the left and at the bottom left it will tell you how many it found.

I have in mind an export tool like that, but it's got a few ideas ahead of it first, so for now I'm just letting it bounce around in my head so I can think of what sort of things would be included in such a report.

For the curious, right now my plan is to implement painting alterations (Putting in custom pictures for painted art), followed by genealogy modification, then after that whatever else seems in demand.
Field Researcher
#38 Old 14th Jul 2009 at 10:01 PM
Custom pictures - what a great thing :D. And I have mentioned it before - a program to extract and export info on the sims, like name, age, pics, bios, ect and get it in a form that can be imported to a database, for use on web pages or otherwise, would be a DREAM Thanks for all the work you do!
Lab Assistant
#39 Old 17th Jul 2009 at 1:33 AM
Thanks a lot, it works great. You saved my sim!
Great work.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#40 Old 17th Jul 2009 at 4:33 AM
Glad to hear it!

And another new release, with a significant change to the interface. To reflect the focus, I'm also renaming the project to Neighborhood Workshop.
Eminence Grise
#41 Old 17th Jul 2009 at 8:43 AM
Works great My sim painted the Simma Lisa.

For anybody that wants a step by step on painting replacement, it goes like this:

1. Start Neighborhood Workshop (TS3NWS)
2. Choose Modify Neighborhood (pen icon)
3. Double-click the game you want to modify (the active family portrait is displayed)
4. Click Still Life Studio
5. Use the Previous and Next buttons to select a painting. All the Sim-painted paintings in that game are initially in the list. You can filter the list by Artist and Location using the dropdowns.
6. Select File | Export Painting. The painting will be saved as a .png in the location you specify.
7. Modify the painting in your image editor of choice. (Note that the painting as it displays in-game and in the painting list is cropped, and the replacement image will be cropped the same way.)
8. Select File | Import Painting to import your modified painting.
9. Select File | Save, and save your modified savegame as a save file in My Documents/Electronic Arts/The Sims 3/Saves.
10. Start the Sims, select your new savegame, and enjoy your new masterpiece
Site Helper
#42 Old 17th Jul 2009 at 4:30 PM
Have you considered submitting this for upload as a modding tool? It might be easier for people to find that way.
Test Subject
#43 Old 17th Jul 2009 at 9:40 PM
This is really fantastic!!! Although with my knack for screwing things up I will probably only use this to change still life paintings, which by the way I couldn't figure out how to do untill I read Srikandi post, thank you for that little tutorial, you saved me many headaches.

So heres to TigerM for the program and Srikandi for making it simple to understand for someone like me.
Test Subject
#44 Old 18th Jul 2009 at 6:36 AM
would it be possible to edit a sim's height with it?
as i saw that "mHeight" value, edited it but nothing has changed.
Lab Assistant
#45 Old 18th Jul 2009 at 10:23 AM
Hi! I like this utility.

Umm, does anyone know how the relationships are stored? I've looked, but I can't see anything like that. I'm not really wanting to change them, since I can do that easily with testingcheats, if I need. But I'm curious about it nonetheless. I would have thought each Sim would carry around an array of people they know, but like I said, I haven't seen even a hint of this...
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#46 Old 18th Jul 2009 at 11:17 AM
I'm afraid I don't know about height. There's lots of data in there and I haven't seen what makes a difference in what.

However for the relationships, check the "Static Values" (On the left drop down) for "sAllRelationships" (On the right drop down) and you'll find a list of all the sims in your neighborhood. If you expand a sim you'll get a list of all their relationships.
Lab Assistant
#47 Old 19th Jul 2009 at 8:36 AM
How does the cut and paste works in the NHWS? Can I copy/paste subtree of values?

Most of the TS3 game data are tree of values. I'd like to copy some entry node in dictionary (the entry itself is tree of values) and paste it into anther dictionary.

It would be nice that I can export selected subtree node of whole data as XML file ( attributes: 'name', 'value', 'type' ) and edit it and import it back to the node. Direct tree editing is good for small changes, but XML editing is safer with less error and more versatile.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#48 Old 19th Jul 2009 at 8:50 AM
Right now you can cut/paste part of a tree in some circumstances. You'll know it worked because it will change to "null" when you do. Elements of a dictionary you can, yes. (However only the value, not the key.) You will need to use the context menu to remove the entry after you cut, and add a new entry before you paste, but it should work fine. It only works within the application though. (Well you CAN paste it outside the application, but the resulting value will be meaningless out of context.)

The idea of importing/exporting XML is intriguing actually. It had never occurred to me to do something like that but it shouldn't be difficult. I had planned on taking a little break from coding things for this tool to avoid severe burn-out, but that should be simple and useful enough to do that I may take a stab at it sometime soon.
Test Subject
#49 Old 20th Jul 2009 at 9:36 AM Last edited by Westin : 20th Jul 2009 at 10:55 AM.
Thanks for a great tool. I've had a couple issues however:

1. In my sims home he's got about 4 or 5 paintings all hanging on the walls, however only one of them shows up in your editor.

2. See error report below, upon closing the tool I got the following error report:

Code:
See the end of this message for details on invoking 
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
   at SaveGameEditor.PluginManager.DataChanged(Boolean skipactive)
   at StillLife.StillLifeEditor.textBoxTitle_Leave(Object sender, EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnLeave(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ContainerControl.UpdateFocusedControl()

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
    Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.4016 (NetFxQFE.050727-4000)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework64/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll
----------------------------------------
TS3NWS
    Assembly Version: 1.3.0.0
    Win32 Version: 1.3.0.0
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/Tyger%20Stripe%20Software/The%20Sims%203%20Neighborhood%20Workshop/TS3NWS.exe
System.Windows.Forms
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
System
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
System.Drawing
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
System.Xml
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll
System.Configuration
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Configuration/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Configuration.dll
yslathxq
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
7q_jvcvv
Aga.Controls.TreeViewAdv
    Assembly Version: 1.6.1.999
    Win32 Version: 1.6.1.999
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/Tyger%20Stripe%20Software/The%20Sims%203%20Neighborhood%20Workshop/Aga.Controls.TreeViewAdv.DLL
SGEIface
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/Tyger%20Stripe%20Software/The%20Sims%203%20Neighborhood%20Workshop/SGEIface.DLL
AdvancedEditor
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/Tyger%20Stripe%20Software/The%20Sims%203%20Neighborhood%20Workshop/Plugins/AdvancedEditor.dll
StillLife
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/Tyger%20Stripe%20Software/The%20Sims%203%20Neighborhood%20Workshop/Plugins/StillLife.dll
82vypjyc

************** JIT Debugging **************
To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
application or computer (machine.config) must have the
jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
The application must also be compiled with debugging
enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
    <system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
</configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
rather than be handled by this dialog box.

If I hit continue, it closed as it should.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#50 Old 20th Jul 2009 at 10:58 AM
Thanks for the error report!

As far as paintings not showing up, were they still lifes (Where you had to take a screen grab) or just regular run of the mill paintings? Only the latter are shown and editable.
Page 2 of 5