Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 7th Apr 2016 at 7:08 PM
Default My friends got super mad at me for saying Melanie Marteniz is weird.
And now I'm confused because I love Melanie and I'm singing her songs all day. Can someone please explain to me why they are mad?
Advertisement
Theorist
#2 Old 7th Apr 2016 at 7:33 PM
Quote: Originally posted by PumpkinPatch501
And now I'm confused because I love Melanie and I'm singing her songs all day. Can someone please explain to me why they are mad?

I don't know who this is and a slight google search indicates that you shouldn't care, either about this singer or your friend's opinions of her.

Get out of the house, let this go, do something else, if you're stressing over this you need to stop.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 7th Apr 2016 at 7:40 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Mistermook
I don't know who this is and a slight google search indicates that you shouldn't care, either about this singer or your friend's opinions of her.

Get out of the house, let this go, do something else, if you're stressing over this you need to stop.

Sorry, I just have mild anxiety, i get stressed, scared, and all sorts of bad emotions over small things.
dodgy builder
#4 Old 7th Apr 2016 at 7:59 PM
Very artistic people can sometimes be wierd, and frankly if you want to make a mark in this big world, being slightly wierd might just be listed in the job assignment papers, or whatever it's called. You need something these days to attract the attention if you want to be famous.
Lab Assistant
#5 Old 7th Apr 2016 at 11:17 PM
Well,as a person in fandoms,I can pretty much assure you that people do overreact to others criticizing their idols,so don't really take what they said into consideration and don't stress yourself
Theorist
#6 Old 8th Apr 2016 at 3:19 PM
Quote: Originally posted by PumpkinPatch501

Because teenage girls? Dunno, I can't imagine why anyone older than a sophomore in HS would care.

My first impression of her was, "who?"
Then after a cursory Google search, my second thought is, "dayum, that girl's got some funky diastema."
We can thank a recent article on Letterman's beard for my knowledge of that dental term.

Resident wet blanket.
Field Researcher
#7 Old 8th Apr 2016 at 6:57 PM
Well, you should explain to your friend that she shouldn't identify herself with celebrities like that. Even if you criticize someone who's work she values, appreciates or admires, that doesn't mean that you're insulting her own personality. You two are friends, you care for each other, and that celebrity doesn't even know she exists, so that reason only makes it not worth fighting over, let alone worth ruining the friendship.

I remember my friend once slapping a boy who insulted her favorite actress. That was a long time ago and she is pretty ashamed of it now. Teen years are weird by default.

But even when you're mature enough, different opinions can shape your relationship with others. Only than, obstacles are slightly different. For example, political or religious views, which can have deeper influence on personality traits or moral values, and can actually be a base not only for your interests, but also for the type of critical thinking you cherish, as well as shape your behavior the certain way. Either way, a person should do his best to overcome such differences, avoid useless projections, and do his best to understand others, especially the ones who he shares personal and emotional bond with (like you and your friend probably do ).
Field Researcher
#8 Old 9th Apr 2016 at 4:03 AM
Some people get angry over the smallest things because, like others have said, they see it as a personal attack on them. However, you seem to like this singer, so I bet your friend is still at the stage where using the word "weird" means "lame". I didn't know who this singer was until I googled her, but, I mean, she *is* weird. So are most musicians.