Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 25th Aug 2013 at 10:25 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 3, World Adventures, Ambitions, Late Night, Generations, Pets
Default Sims 3 Mods using Ubuntu 12.04 (Wine) (PlayOnLinux)
I have successfully installed the Sims 3 and launched it without error on both Wine and PlayOnLinux on my new machine running Ubuntu 12.04.

I have not had the same luxury with mod support. I followed this dated tutorial with no luck. Unfortunately for me that is the only modding tutorial I've found for Linux. Is anyone here running on Linux? Or does anyone know how to use mods in Linux?
Advertisement
Test Subject
#2 Old 5th Sep 2013 at 3:02 AM Last edited by Ruedii : 5th Sep 2013 at 3:05 AM. Reason: It seems the code modifier provides it's own blockquote.
Are you trying to install a mod, or create one?

I've installed quite a few mods under Wine (Don't tell J. M. Pescado but AwesomeMod works fine installed the new way without the hack framework. He'd probably bite my head off for even trying.)

The most common mistake to install mods in the binary directory instead of the user data directory. You need to run Sims 3 at least once in order for this data directory structure to be created. (It is not created on install.)

When using Wine, the Sims 3 user data directory should be either in ~/Electronic Arts/The Sims 3/ or ~/Documents/Electronic Arts/The Sims 3/. This depends on where you point the My Documents folder.

It can always be found in wine bottle at $WINEPREFIX/drive_c/Users/$USERNAME/My Documents/Electronic Arts/The Sims 3/

For the where the My Documents folder is a link to, Ubuntu's Wine and WineTricks default to ~/, Crossover Wine defaults to ~/Documents. If you are using a sandboxed wine bottle, it will not be a link, and instead be in the wine bottle. (I don't recommend this. It doesn't provide any real security anyways.)

As a note some artifacts may appear on transparency, glow and fur textures some graphics drivers. You might also experience some slowness and jittering. To fix these add the following lines to your GraphicsRules.sgr file.
Code:
    setProp $ConfigGroup DontUsePerlinNoise 1
    setProp $ConfigGroup DisallowL16RTT 1

It generally should be added just above:
Code:
seti gpumemLevelUber         4
seti gpumemLevelHigh         3
seti gpumemLevelMedium       2
seti gpumemLevelLow          1

You may also need to add your video memory and video device ID to the registry, if PlayOnLinux didn't do it for you.
Test Subject
#3 Old 21st Oct 2014 at 3:36 PM
hello, could you explain to me how to install mods under wine? i don-t understand very well your explanation

I created a new thread about this couple of days ago it-s here http://www.modthesims.info/showthre...d=1#post4576196

I would really appreciate your help