Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 8th Nov 2014 at 2:59 AM Last edited by Aligeth : 8th Nov 2014 at 10:54 PM. Reason: typo
Default Combining Two Meshes in One Package
Hello,

This issue isn't one I've been able to solve with scrutinizing my package work, so hopeful there will be an easy solution.

I created my original package, which worked nicely and as expected in game. I then realized I wanted an additional version of this mesh which looked slightly different but is the same in all other respects. It is a nice tall kitchen pantry shelving/cabinet to match a set I've been working on since 2007

What I then did was clone my original package, do all of my mesh work, import my new mesh using the SimPE object importer, give my new object unique GUID, and all of the standard things one does. I then exported each necessary part of this package (GMDC, GMND, SHAPE, CRES) and then re-imported them back into my original package containing the other similar mesh.

The previewer showed each mesh perfectly, the Scenegrapher looks fine, unique GUID's have been checked for 100 times, linkage, naming, numbering, everything I can think to check has been checked....BUT....

In game there are the two objects and they do not show up as different but only as the same original mesh shape.

Additionally, even though the package has information in the catalogue description to distinguish the difference between the two (a "with rails" and a "no rails" version), ONLY one (the original) catalogue description shows up in game. Huh.

The recolours for these are slaved to another package, so there won't be textures per se, without that file, but thats not an issue.

Can someone have a look-see please?

I currently have them listed under Surfaces, Cabinets.
Attached files:
File Type: rar  OBJ-MESH_KitchenPantry.rar (14.6 KB, 13 downloads) - View custom content
Advertisement
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
#2 Old 8th Nov 2014 at 2:50 PM
Instructor
Original Poster
#3 Old 8th Nov 2014 at 7:42 PM
Quote: Originally posted by HugeLunatic
In the OBJD, line 0x0029 - Catalog Strings ID. Change the value to the new CTSS Instance (0x07D1).

Thanks, that corrected the catalogue description issue.

Any ideas on the two different meshes appearing identical in game, but previewing correctly in SimPE?

I'll keep looking in the meantime.
Instructor
Original Poster
#4 Old 8th Nov 2014 at 8:02 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Aligeth
Thanks, that corrected the catalogue description issue.

Any ideas on the two different meshes appearing identical in game, but previewing correctly in SimPE?

I'll keep looking in the meantime.

Wooo! I found it after all, by reading this SimsWiki article on OBJD http://modthesims.info/wiki.php?tit...urce_cross-refs. RAW Data - Resource Cross-Refs, paragraph 3:

"If your object contains more than one mesh, you can indicate which one is is to be used by default. Generally when you have more than one mesh you have specific code to switch between the two meshes, but it can be helpful to set the default graphic (0x0048) for the mesh to be used for catalog icons and the like. The number you put in here indicates the line in the STR resource that holds the mesh names (often called 'Model Names'). These strings are taken from Text List (STR#) resource 0x00000085 (see String Resources for all the different Text List usages). In some earlier versions of SimPE I believe this field was labeled as 'object model guid 1 - Read-Only' - the number 0x0048 is the way you will know you have the correct field for sure."

I had missed changing 0X0048!

Thanks!