Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 23rd Sep 2014 at 9:17 PM
Default Meshing/ Texturing issue...please help.
Problem: New mesh appears dark in game. Also the icon in the buy mode menu is black >.<

Method: Wings 3D -> Export as obj file -> Milkshape -> apply texture -> save as Sims 2 file

Clone item in SimPE -> Add mesh.

Tried;

Messing with the material textures text. Null result
Using hardness in Wings 3D. Null result
Using autosmooth in Milkshape. Null result
Not using autosmooth in Milkshape. Null result
Also tried variations of all the above. no change.

I am experienced in meshing for other games but not Sims 2. This only came about because the wife wanted a washing machine in the game!! Now I really, really need to do it lol

Please help

P.S. Explain slowly, I'm old.
Advertisement
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#2 Old 23rd Sep 2014 at 9:23 PM
Are you following a tutorial or just winging it? When you say apply a texture in Milkshape, what do you mean?

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 24th Sep 2014 at 11:31 AM
Hi Maxon

Um winging it no, tutorial no. Been meshing since Morrowind came out....Sims 2 is a breeze towards a lot of games for adding new objects but this "dark" texture business has me stumped.

Applying a texture/ UV mapping/ co-ordinate wrapping. Is what I mean the term seems to change depending on the game you mesh for and the community.
In Skyrim for instance the community would look at you mental if you said "re-colour" but would readily understand if you wrote "re-texture".

Just had a brain wave as I type this... going to try UV mapping in Wings and see if that carries over to Milkshape. I made 2 cubes in wings side by side to test the hardness theory (1 using hardness, 1 not) and mapped them both. It appears that using the hardness in Wings does make the object brighter in game BUT it also creates a crazy shading appearance that allows you to spot the triangulation through the texture
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#4 Old 24th Sep 2014 at 12:36 PM
The hardness thing sounds like a problem with the normals - or rather, it sounds like Wings doing something to the normals that doesn't have the expected effect in TS2. It might be helpful if you attached a few pictures - of stuff like the map, textures, the problem ingame - so readers can get a better idea of what's going on.

I've also moved this to the creation forums.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 15th Oct 2014 at 1:11 PM
Ok solved the problem and thank you for moving it to the right place

The problem is I was using loop cut command in Wings which seems to turn around the faces. Best advice. Don't use loop cut for the Sims rofl

Worked fine with Skyrim/ Morrowind/ Half Life etc but the Sims..... nope.

Hope it helps someone if they ever get the same issue.

Note: Hardness does not effect this issue as each face is separated and hardness only appears to work on single shape objects,