Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
A Sinful Sim
retired moderator
Original Poster
#1 Old 27th Jan 2006 at 1:58 PM Last edited by Hunter240x : 28th Jan 2006 at 5:10 AM.
Default (NEW QUESTION ASKED) Is there a trick to recatagorizing an object in SimPE?
I've been trying for the past half an hour to recatogrize an object with no success. Is there a trick? I go into Object Data and click the correct tabs in the two sort catagories (function... and room I think is what the second one is called.) And yet, when I go into the game the object isn't in the catagory I put it in (or in any catagory for that matter). What am I doing wrong?
Advertisement
Fluffy
retired moderator
#2 Old 27th Jan 2006 at 3:17 PM
Hunter,
what kind of object are you trying to recatagorize?
cause what you're doing usually works.
make sure you choose the correct function etc in the block list as well
and check that you're recatagorizing in the Master Object Data (for multi-tile objects)

build mode objects etc are a bit more complicated, these need to be checked in the raw data itself
put that on decimal, and you'll see 1's and 0's for the different categories
make sure there's a 1 at residential (I think it is) or build mode (for build objects)
A Sinful Sim
retired moderator
Original Poster
#3 Old 28th Jan 2006 at 2:06 AM Last edited by Hunter240x : 28th Jan 2006 at 3:12 AM.
the object was cloned from the urinal so that is a buy mode object. I tend to think my copy of SimPE is broken.

Everything I've tried to clone (just changing the GUID and catalog) and then put in the game, doesn't seem to work right. Like how I had to orginally fix the urinals because they ended up having a shoo function and the autonomosly didn't work. Obviously Maxis orginal object didn't have those problems so why would a clone have them? Then once I tried to clone the bonfire which worked fine except that there was no fire when you lit it. So I know it's not just one object that "breaks".

I think I'm going to redownload/install SimPE. Maybe something got messed up. I don't think everyone has these sort of problems.

EDIT: Well, I uninstalled/redownload/installed SimPE and still have the problem. The object just doesn't want to show up in any catagory. I tried removing it from the downloads folder and making the changes then placing it back in the downloads folder (why? I have no idea... just trying things) and well, that didn't work. I tried cloneing it while the changes were made, but the clone still didn't want to show up. I tried placing it in ever catagory (just to see if maybe something was wrong with just the one catagory I wanted to use) and that didn't work either.

I'm trying to place the object in General - Party. Here's what the raw data says in decimal....

Catalog Use Flags 0

Room Sort Flags 0000000001000000 (under the + everything is false except InMisc which is True)

Function Sort Flags 0000000001000000 (under the + everything is false except InGeneral which is True)

Build Mode Type 0
Build Mode Subsort 0
Function Subsort 8
Downtown Sort 0
Keep Buying False
Vacation Sort 0
Community Sort 3

Also, in the main plugin view the Object Type is Normal and has 0x0004 next to it.

Does anything look wrong in the raw data?
Retired Duck
retired moderator
#4 Old 28th Jan 2006 at 4:10 AM
Have you set a value here? (See attached picture)
Edit: My mistake, it looks like you've set it to General/Party. I assume you've confirmed that it's not there?
Screenshots
A Sinful Sim
retired moderator
Original Poster
#5 Old 28th Jan 2006 at 4:33 AM
Yes, I set it in that block thing to General/Party. When I go into the game, it's not there (or anywhere for that matter.) I'm assuming that since you didn't reply about the raw data I posted, that there isn't anything wrong with that information.
Retired Duck
retired moderator
#6 Old 28th Jan 2006 at 4:50 AM
Try changing Community Sort to 0x0.
A Sinful Sim
retired moderator
Original Poster
#7 Old 28th Jan 2006 at 5:09 AM
I did a workaround (wish I thought of it earlier) by importing the Object Data of another object that was listed in the General-Party section of the catalog. This worked fine (altho I still wish I knew why I couldn't do it the normal/easy way) but it also raises a question for me.

If that object data came from an object that was in an EP, does that mean that my object requires that EP? I think the object I extracted from was from the Orginal game. It was the party balloon thing. But just incase I have have to do this again, I'd like to know the answer.
Test Subject
#8 Old 30th Jan 2006 at 10:25 AM
In SimPE under the object data/raw data you have to change the community sort under catalog. I think 130 is default for community lots only. 128 will make your object available in both residential and community lots..... I forget what the number is for residential only. I'm sure if you pull up a resi object and check the catalog sort it will tell you.