Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 13th Jun 2019 at 9:26 AM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Game only lasts an hour
Hello

I’ve been playing my sims 2 UC on my computer for about a year but most recently it only loads and plays up to an hour and then it crashes. Before I used to play for long periods of time in game and now I can’t even get past an hour without it crashing.

Things I’ve tried:

-deleting cache
-removing CC
-repairing and updating game through origin

The problem still persists and I don’t know how to fix it.

Here are my general specs:
Alienware Aurora R6
CPU: Intel i7-7700 @ 3.6GHz
GPU: NVIDIA GTX 1070 16GB of memory
RAM: DDR4

Based off this does anyone have any suggestions? All help is appreciated
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 13th Jun 2019 at 10:29 AM
May be a memory problem combined with a newer nvidia card and win10. Have you tried the tricks in the "how to stop sims 2 from crashing" video? The memory allocation and 4gb fix may help (and be really happy if you don't have any pink flashing, usually a problem with shaders turned on). The video is the first link in the "sims 2 help" area.

I have similar specs on my laptop, and had crashing + pink flashing even without CC. The tricks in the video seem to have helped.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 14th Jun 2019 at 2:15 AM
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
May be a memory problem combined with a newer nvidia card and win10. Have you tried the tricks in the "how to stop sims 2 from crashing" video? The memory allocation and 4gb fix may help (and be really happy if you don't have any pink flashing, usually a problem with shaders turned on). The video is the first link in the "sims 2 help" area.

I have similar specs on my laptop, and had crashing + pink flashing even without CC. The tricks in the video seem to have helped.

Thank you! I didn’t see the video but I will try it and report back
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#4 Old 14th Jun 2019 at 5:45 AM
Could be 'stand by memory' and the video shows you how to deal with that. Basically, the computer memory gets eaten up and as soon as it gets full the game crashes.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#5 Old 14th Jun 2019 at 5:45 AM
I can't even get past the first step. No matter what I do the patch will not apply. I tried both by manually downloading and applying the 4gb patch to the sims 2 exe file and it still shows on my config it isw only loading 2gb of memory. I tried to use CFF installer to do it instead but still nothing. Any ideas?
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#6 Old 14th Jun 2019 at 5:46 AM
Maybe post some screenshots of what you tried to do.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#7 Old 14th Jun 2019 at 6:25 AM
I can't there no option on here to upload photos from my computer
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#8 Old 14th Jun 2019 at 6:39 AM Last edited by jvms20 : 14th Jun 2019 at 6:55 AM.

Here is my config before anythign is done

Here I downloaded and clicked on the 4GB.exe patch. When I open it up I go the the sims 2.exe file located in program files to apply the patch

It is applied.

But it is still only loading 2gb of memory.

So I moved the .exe file by cutting and pasting it from the TSBin folder to the CSBin folder just as the tutorial instructs. Still only 2GB of memory in the logs file instead of 4096MB as it should be.

So I downloaded CFF Explorer instead to fix the problem. I loaded the exe from there and the option "app can handle >2gb of address space" was already ticked. So the program is already supposed to be loading more than 2gb of memory but my logs are showing it is not.

Irregardless I clicked save and tried to see if it changed anythign but it didnt. Do I have to load the game up for the log to update?
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#9 Old 14th Jun 2019 at 6:39 AM
Yes there is. Click 'Go Advanced', scroll down, select upload file, either old method or new method. If you use the new method after selecting the file you also have to make sure to go down and click upload as well.

Edit: Okay you have already done that but it wasn't showing for me and now it is.

I have never used the other method, it's harder and trickier. The 4 gb patch is the way to go unless you are good with computers.

~Call me Jo~
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#10 Old 14th Jun 2019 at 6:40 AM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
Yes there is. Click 'Go Advanced', scroll down, select upload file, either old method or new method. If you use the new method after selecting the file you also have to make sure to go down and click upload as well.

Yeah I saw it after I posted that sorry about that. But now I've uploaded the photos hopefully they help
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#11 Old 14th Jun 2019 at 6:42 AM
You do post fast. The 4 gb patch must not be used in compatibility mode, perhaps you were doing that.

With your pictures, can you crop them? That is too far for my bad eyes to read.

Load your game after applying then check, the log updates each time you run the game.

~Call me Jo~
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#12 Old 14th Jun 2019 at 6:47 AM
@joandsarah77 ditto. Yeah I'll crop them and reupload. And I figured I'll try doing that and report back
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#13 Old 14th Jun 2019 at 6:50 AM
So one good thing, I can make out that your graphic card is showing. But you want memory and free memory to read the same as mine.

I still think the sudden crashing after an hour could be standby memory, which is another thing to set.
Screenshots

~Call me Jo~
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#14 Old 14th Jun 2019 at 6:56 AM
Yes it is definetley a memory issue I just don't know how to permenatley adjust it so my game uses ALL the memory it needs to use not just 2GB.

I edited my first post btw hopefulyl that's easier on your eyes
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#15 Old 14th Jun 2019 at 6:58 AM
uh oh.

So now when I try to load up the game it gives me a new error message.

And also no the 4gb patch exe file is not in compatibility mode
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#16 Old 14th Jun 2019 at 7:02 AM
Is this from the 4 Gb patch or did you do CFF Explorer? if it's the second, this is why I wouldn't try it. If you follow the video on the 4 gb patch it should work. make sure also your anti-virus isn't doing anything and is told to not check sims 2 files.

https://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical...ll/td-p/3443029

~Call me Jo~
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#17 Old 14th Jun 2019 at 7:04 AM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
Is this from the 4 Gb patch or did you do CFF Explorer?

https://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical...ll/td-p/3443029

I did both. I tried the 4gb patch and it didnt seem to do the trick. So I tried CFF route and this is all that's happened so far. But even so, nothing in the exe file was changed with CFF program because the program was already set to run to allow more than 2 gb of memory even if it isnt doing so. So no options were utilized in the CFF program
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#18 Old 14th Jun 2019 at 7:06 AM
So you applied the 4gbpatch, run the game, exited and the log file did not update? Did you make a desktop shortcut using the 4 gb patch and run it from there?

I'm worried the above is from trying the CFF program.

~Call me Jo~
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#19 Old 14th Jun 2019 at 7:08 AM
Yes I made a desktop shortcut from the new adjusted exe file. But no before I didn;t run the game....also now origin doesn't recognize the game is installed. It gives me the option to download the game from the game library again.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#20 Old 14th Jun 2019 at 7:12 AM
:/ I would start fresh. Make sure all files are gone and redownload it. Hopefully, someone who uses the UC will be along. I am on original disks. It does work the same way though, disks or UC. But unless you are pretty confident with computers I would not do the CFF program.

After applying the 4 gb patch you want to run and exit the game, it updates the file.

~Call me Jo~
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#21 Old 14th Jun 2019 at 7:17 AM
Darn :/ okay. so just reinstall?

Just kidding...its now showing its running in 4096 MB Okay i will proceed with the video and come back if i have anymore issues
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#22 Old 14th Jun 2019 at 10:28 AM
*confused*

Glad to hear it's running through.

~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#23 Old 14th Jun 2019 at 10:37 AM
If you later struggle with the 4gb fix, have you tried to copy the simsep9.exe file to your desktop, apply the patch to this, replace the file, and seen if it will apply the patch then? Edits to files in Program files often have to be done to copies of the files outside the folder, because the computer thinks direct edits are dangerous viruses messing around or some such, and often won't allow it. This may also apply to the graphicrules files.

The copy/paste file to csbin is for the graphicrules file when you've edited it, not the simsep9.exe file.

The video shows mainly 3 things - graphicrules, 4gb fix, and the memory allocation fix. If your game looks fine and doesn't flash pink, the graphicrules step may not be needed, but the two others help with memory handling.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#24 Old 14th Jun 2019 at 9:35 PM

For some reason, the resource manager is still showing its reserving 2GB of memory....is this normal? Cause shouldn't it be utilizing the whole amount according to the tutorial?
Mad Poster
#25 Old 14th Jun 2019 at 10:22 PM
Have you done the memory allocation fix (not the same as the 4GB fix)? You need to follow all the steps and tick the same boxes as in the video.
Page 1 of 2