Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 5th Aug 2019 at 8:01 PM Last edited by sodaG123 : 10th Aug 2019 at 11:56 PM. Reason: Uploaded log/video cards/graphics rules/images files, Updated title

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default I've tried everything and can't get the game to work. Pink flashing textures and crashing. (Sims 2 Ultimate Collection)
I've tried everything to get this game to run. If I get to the neighborhood, the textures are pink and if I load in to a family (sims are pink t-poses), I usually crash before that. I've tried the 4gb patch as well as using graphics rules maker.

Both things have not solved the issues of pink flickering textures all over the place, and crashing constantly. Everything I've read online says these should generally fix the problem, but it just hasn't for me. Compatibility mode has done nothing for me either. This is all with the Ultimate Edition on Origin. Any ideas?

For reference, I have an RTX 2080ti, i9 9900k, and 32gb 3200mhz ram. Of course, this is running on Windows 10 which seems to be the source of all of these problems.

I have also tried disabling the shaders in game and while that does make some of the pink textures go away, not all of them do and the sims themselves are still completely pink t-poses.

Edit: Uploaded logs and images
Edit 2: My issues have seemingly been solved by citrusalex in this thread- http://www.leefish.nl/mybb/showthread.php?tid=8940
Screenshots
Attached files:
File Type: txt  DESKTOP-V08HR4M-config-log.txt (19.5 KB, 11 downloads)
File Type: txt  Graphics Rules.txt (33.6 KB, 3 downloads)
File Type: txt  Video Cards.txt (25.9 KB, 2 downloads)
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 5th Aug 2019 at 10:57 PM
Have a look at this video, and make sure you've done it all and that it's set up properly (if patch is applied, memory should say 4098), including the memory allocation fix: http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=610641, and if you've already done it all, check once more.

I have similar issues with a similar setup (but a 1070 card), my topic is here: https://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=627556 (you may find a few tips)

Win10 needs at least 50% of the functions turned off in the settings to be of any use, so fixing these things may be useful. I can't quite remember which video guide I followed for the optimizing, but it could have been this one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJTCwSX9Ym8
(The one I watched showed how to fix the VirtualMemory and a bunch of other things, and my game seemed to have less pink-flashing after, and Windows even worked a bit better. If you're unsure of any steps, skip over them but write down the time stamp so you can do them later - that's what I did, anyway).
Undead Molten Llama
#3 Old 5th Aug 2019 at 10:58 PM
Quote: Originally posted by sodaG123
For reference, I have an RTX 2080ti, i9 9900k, and 32gb 3200mhz ram. Of course, this is running on Windows 10 which seems to be the source of all of these problems.
t-poses.

While Windows 10 may or may not be problematic, I'm sorry to say that your problem is likely that video card. I've seen quite a few people now with that card who have the same problems you're having and, to date, none of them have reported being able to get the game to work. Frankly, I think the card is just too new for the game to work with and probably uses a driver that the game can't understand properly.

I do hope that someone else will come along and prove this wrong and is able to help you get your game to work, but.... In the end, if you really want to play the game, you might need to play it on a different, older system.

I'm mostly found on (and mostly upload to) Tumblr these days because, alas, there are only 24 hours in a day.
Muh Simblr! | An index of my downloads on Tumblr.
Mad Poster
#4 Old 5th Aug 2019 at 11:12 PM
The RTX cards seem to be a bit less willing to run TS2, and the newer the card the less willing it may be (why I went for the 1070 one, which I'm still having some isues with but I know it can run the game beautifully if I can just get rid of all the pink).

The problem may come from a Win10 update, and may not be directly caused by the graphics card. Some "creative suite" update from back in 2017 that some people may have more issues with than others, and for some unknown reason Windows haven't gotten their butts together to fix it yet, since it was not fixed in later updates for the same files/programs. It affected several 32-bit games, not just TS2 (and TS3?).
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 6th Aug 2019 at 12:15 AM Last edited by sodaG123 : 6th Aug 2019 at 12:40 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
Have a look at this video, and make sure you've done it all and that it's set up properly (if patch is applied, memory should say 4098), including the memory allocation fix: http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=610641, and if you've already done it all, check once more.

I have similar issues with a similar setup (but a 1070 card), my topic is here: http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=627556 (you may find a few tips)

Win10 needs at least 50% of the functions turned off in the settings to be of any use, so fixing these things may be useful. I can't quite remember which video guide I followed for the optimizing, but it could have been this one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJTCwSX9Ym8
(The one I watched showed how to fix the VirtualMemory and a bunch of other things, and my game seemed to have less pink-flashing after, and Windows even worked a bit better. If you're unsure of any steps, skip over them but write down the time stamp so you can do them later - that's what I did, anyway).

The memory in the log does indeed say 4098 and I'm pretty sure I've tried most of the potential fixes. Appreciate the advice though, I'll take a look at those links. I've also uploaded my log file.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 6th Aug 2019 at 12:19 AM Last edited by sodaG123 : 6th Aug 2019 at 12:40 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by iCad
While Windows 10 may or may not be problematic, I'm sorry to say that your problem is likely that video card. I've seen quite a few people now with that card who have the same problems you're having and, to date, none of them have reported being able to get the game to work. Frankly, I think the card is just too new for the game to work with and probably uses a driver that the game can't understand properly.

I do hope that someone else will come along and prove this wrong and is able to help you get your game to work, but.... In the end, if you really want to play the game, you might need to play it on a different, older system.

Dang, that's too bad. I'll keep trying for a bit but I'll keep my hopes minimal. I was afraid it had something to do with my system as I've done most of the things people have said fixed their game. Appreciate the advice though and I've uploaded my log file, I guess all I can realistically do is wait and hope for a fix eventually or just find an older system to use. Thanks, just a shame I can't play my favorite Sims game
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#7 Old 6th Aug 2019 at 4:19 AM
Is pink flashing the only issue? I am guessing you have used the no shaders cheat and are running with no CC?
have you gone over each step here: https://marasims.tumblr.com/post/17...flash-crash-fix

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Test Subject
Original Poster
#8 Old 6th Aug 2019 at 6:15 AM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
Is pink flashing the only issue? I am guessing you have used the no shaders cheat and are running with no CC?
have you gone over each step here: https://marasims.tumblr.com/post/17...flash-crash-fix

Pink flashing and pretty much constant crashing. Most of the time, I don't even make it in to a household before I get a crash. Essentially, the game is completely unplayable anyway as my sims are pink t-poses regardless of what I've tried so far. I have tried the no shaders cheat with no luck unfortunately and I'm not using CC. The only step I haven't tried on the post you linked is setting a custom amount of virtual memory but I've heard that's not necessary and can do more harm than good.
Mad Poster
#9 Old 6th Aug 2019 at 7:47 AM Last edited by simmer22 : 6th Aug 2019 at 8:07 AM.
I assume you have made sure that your game is running on the Nvidia card. If done properly it too should be listed in the log file. If it says Intel (or something else) you may want to fix that before you move on.

Have you tried the memory allocation fix (not the same as 4gb patch) from Jessa's video? When got it to work, it helped against the near-instant crashes. The virtual memory fix and Windows fixing from the other video also seemed to help a bit.

And if you are using a lot of CC, try without while getting rid of pink/crashes (or rather, keep only a small minimum, such as critical mods and fixes). If you use a lot of CC, that may be a direct cause. When/if you fix the initial issues, you can gradually add CC back. Low-poly with small textures no bigger than 1024*1024 and preferably below is always good to aim for no matter which system you are using.

You can also try moving out or deleting the contents of the Thumbnails folder (5 files, not the pictures in the screenshot folders). This may help. They are kind of cache files for ingame thumbnails.

I went from pink flashing and crashing from neighborhood view, to it only happening on lots, to no crashing and occasionally pink flashing starting with one item and spreading, to no pink at all the last time I played, but I still haven't tried with CC above 1 GB yet. I still have shaders on and reflections +smooth edges on, but turned off shadows. In theory it is possible to get rid of pink and crashing, just a lot of work. I play windowed because Printscreen doesn't like fullscreen, but not sure if that has something to say at all. I also play with Origin in offline mode so it doesn't decide to update anything without me knowing. The most recent Origin update did cause problems for some people.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#10 Old 6th Aug 2019 at 8:38 AM
The config-log attached shows their graphics card.

Did you say if you tried the thumbnails? I use to have to do that about every 2 weeks. Then I removed a high res ocean overlay about 6 weeks ago or more now and no pink flashing since. If you have no cc it can't be that though.

I would also try moving your cheat file out and just testing without it in case one of those is contributing. Also try making a new sims 2 folder. Rename your current one and run the game, what does that one do?

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Test Subject
Original Poster
#11 Old 6th Aug 2019 at 5:49 PM Last edited by sodaG123 : 6th Aug 2019 at 6:12 PM.
The config-log attached shows their graphics card.

Did you say if you tried the thumbnails? I use to have to do that about every 2 weeks. Then I removed a high res ocean overlay about 6 weeks ago or more now and no pink flashing since. If you have no cc it can't be that though.

I would also try moving your cheat file out and just testing without it in case one of those is contributing. Also try making a new sims 2 folder. Rename your current one and run the game, what does that one do?

I have tried deleting the thumbnails folder, unfortunately no luck. But yeah, I'm not using any CC either. I tried renaming the Sims 2 folder but unfortunately, Origin doesn't recognize it as installed if I do that though maybe I'm doing something wrong. I've also uploaded both my video cards file and graphics rules files as txts as well as some images if that helps.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#12 Old 6th Aug 2019 at 5:51 PM Last edited by sodaG123 : 6th Aug 2019 at 6:13 PM.
I assume you have made sure that your game is running on the Nvidia card. If done properly it too should be listed in the log file. If it says Intel (or something else) you may want to fix that before you move on.

Have you tried the memory allocation fix (not the same as 4gb patch) from Jessa's video? When got it to work, it helped against the near-instant crashes. The virtual memory fix and Windows fixing from the other video also seemed to help a bit.

And if you are using a lot of CC, try without while getting rid of pink/crashes (or rather, keep only a small minimum, such as critical mods and fixes). If you use a lot of CC, that may be a direct cause. When/if you fix the initial issues, you can gradually add CC back. Low-poly with small textures no bigger than 1024*1024 and preferably below is always good to aim for no matter which system you are using.

You can also try moving out or deleting the contents of the Thumbnails folder (5 files, not the pictures in the screenshot folders). This may help. They are kind of cache files for ingame thumbnails.

I went from pink flashing and crashing from neighborhood view, to it only happening on lots, to no crashing and occasionally pink flashing starting with one item and spreading, to no pink at all the last time I played, but I still haven't tried with CC above 1 GB yet. I still have shaders on and reflections +smooth edges on, but turned off shadows. In theory it is possible to get rid of pink and crashing, just a lot of work. I play windowed because Printscreen doesn't like fullscreen, but not sure if that has something to say at all. I also play with Origin in offline mode so it doesn't decide to update anything without me knowing. The most recent Origin update did cause problems for some people.

The card says it's recognized in my log folder and the video cards file. I've also uploaded both my video card file and my graphics rules file as txt files along with some images. I have tried the memory fixes but it hasn't seemed to work for me. As for CC, I'm not using any of that so I'm just running it vanilla. Perhaps there really is no solution to get it running on my system
Undead Molten Llama
#13 Old 6th Aug 2019 at 7:05 PM
Is the RTX card the system's only video card? I mean, I'm assuming it's a desktop because I don't think there's a mobile version of that card, and I don't think desktops generally have multiple video devices, but I thought it might be worth it to ask. If by chance it does have another video device, like maybe an integrated chip, the game would probably run fine on that, and modern integrated chips will run the game fine. But, like I said, I'm pretty sure the game isn't going to work with that card. I mean, even with my GTX 1050Ti I use an older driver to make the game really happy, but I doubt the RTX cards are going to have any old drivers that the game would like, since it's a new series.

I will continue to hope that someone offers up a solution that will work for you, but you might want to think about looking into a cheap/used/refurbished machine that you can use just for TS2, if you really want to play it. The machine I play on cost $100. I upgraded it from there for better graphics, but it would have run the game OK as it came, too.

I'm mostly found on (and mostly upload to) Tumblr these days because, alas, there are only 24 hours in a day.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#14 Old 6th Aug 2019 at 8:05 PM
Quote: Originally posted by iCad
Is the RTX card the system's only video card? I mean, I'm assuming it's a desktop because I don't think there's a mobile version of that card, and I don't think desktops generally have multiple video devices, but I thought it might be worth it to ask. If by chance it does have another video device, like maybe an integrated chip, the game would probably run fine on that, and modern integrated chips will run the game fine. But, like I said, I'm pretty sure the game isn't going to work with that card. I mean, even with my GTX 1050Ti I use an older driver to make the game really happy, but I doubt the RTX cards are going to have any old drivers that the game would like, since it's a new series.

I will continue to hope that someone offers up a solution that will work for you, but you might want to think about looking into a cheap/used/refurbished machine that you can use just for TS2, if you really want to play it. The machine I play on cost $100. I upgraded it from there for better graphics, but it would have run the game OK as it came, too.

Yeah, thanks for the advice. That's probably what I'll need to end up doing unfortunately as it is the only video device available for my desktop. Hopefully someone can eventually figure out a way to make it work, but until then I'll probably need to look in to finding an older system. Thanks
Undead Molten Llama
#15 Old 6th Aug 2019 at 11:55 PM
Quote: Originally posted by sodaG123
Yeah, thanks for the advice. That's probably what I'll need to end up doing unfortunately as it is the only video device available for my desktop. Hopefully someone can eventually figure out a way to make it work, but until then I'll probably need to look in to finding an older system. Thanks

You might try bringing the issue to NVIDIA's attention (or to the manufacturer of your particular card). I mean, I'm not sure how willing they'd be to do anything on behalf of a 15-year-old game, but if it'd be a relatively simple fix, it might be possible for them to address the issue in a driver update. Maybe if they get enough messages about it, it'll give them more motivation to look into it. It doesn't hurt to try anyway.

Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#16 Old 7th Aug 2019 at 12:31 AM
There is a way to rename it, only I don't use the UC so I can't tell you how, sorry. What is the folder called?

Mine is My Documents> EA Games> The Sims 2.

~Call me Jo~
Test Subject
Original Poster
#17 Old 7th Aug 2019 at 2:37 AM
There is a way to rename it, only I don't use the UC so I can't tell you how, sorry. What is the folder called?

Mine is My Documents> EA Games> The Sims 2.

Ah, mine was just called The Sims™ 2 Ultimate Collection. I renamed it and ran the game, so all my settings reset and such. Unfortunately doing that and trying to load a new neighborhood resulted in a crash while it was generating everything.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#18 Old 7th Aug 2019 at 3:00 AM
So it's called that under Documents? Just wanted to be sure you weren't looking at where it's installed, but where your neighbourhoods, cc etc go. I know it is possible to make a new folder with the UC as I have seen it mentioned. Maybe try making another post with UC in the title to grab a UC users attention.

Did you mention a cheat file? Also settings, is anything on high? I am wondering if you should even try running the game on the chip just to see how it handles things.

~Call me Jo~
Test Subject
Original Poster
#19 Old 7th Aug 2019 at 4:15 AM
So it's called that under Documents? Just wanted to be sure you weren't looking at where it's installed, but where your neighbourhoods, cc etc go. I know it is possible to make a new folder with the UC as I have seen it mentioned. Maybe try making another post with UC in the title to grab a UC users attention.

Did you mention a cheat file? Also settings, is anything on high? I am wondering if you should even try running the game on the chip just to see how it handles things.

It is the one under documents and I tried letting it create a new folder, but I still had the same results unfortunately. I don't think I have a cheat file either, but I have tried running the game from high to medium to low with the same issues. To try getting the game to run on my chip, would that be done through Nvidia control panel if it's possible? I know I've looked in to that and my GPU was the only option listed.
Mad Poster
#20 Old 7th Aug 2019 at 10:03 AM
I know I did some tinkering on my graphicrules file after running it through the GRMaker, and posted it in the topic where I had issues. Maybe try comparing them. Over at Leefish one comment mentioned that a few lines may interfere and tries running with 32 mb instead of 4048 or more. I think I saved the link so I'll post it if I can find it. In one line you can also allow it to use more texture memory, I set mine to 32 GB (but in kb, can't remember the actual number)
Test Subject
Original Poster
#21 Old 7th Aug 2019 at 7:15 PM
I know I did some tinkering on my graphicrules file after running it through the GRMaker, and posted it in the topic where I had issues. Maybe try comparing them. Over at Leefish one comment mentioned that a few lines may interfere and tries running with 32 mb instead of 4048 or more. I think I saved the link so I'll post it if I can find it. In one line you can also allow it to use more texture memory, I set mine to 32 GB (but in kb, can't remember the actual number)

Thanks, I appreciate the tip!
Mad Poster
#22 Old 7th Aug 2019 at 7:54 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 7th Aug 2019 at 8:10 PM.
^ i don't know if it actually worked, though - I still had some pink-flashing. But the Virtual Memory fix may have been what helped (involved deleting the VM files and creating new ones). Since I did the fixes I dared do in the "set up Win10 for gaming" video, I've ran the game once, and didn't see even a hint of pink-flashing - but I haven't done any extended testing (other than it being on the same lot I've used for testing, with shaders turned on and a pool + an aquarium on the lot to test if it actually did work, and around 700 MB of CC, including skin defaults). I did some tinkering with the VM files previous to following the video, and noticed a small positive change - but someone mentioned it wasn't a good move with an SSD so I set it back to what I thought was the original settings, and the pink got a bit worse again. So I do think the VM may play a role in this.

It seems each step I did helped a little bit, so I have hope I'll manage to get rid of most of the pink-flashing. I'm planning to do more testing once I've done some more backuping on my old laptop (I'm planning to set up a cleaner version of my old story hood, which in reality was just a Pleasantview copy from 2007 with a lot of clutter - it needs some serious refurbishing, preferably as few townies/NPCs as possible so I can use only sims I make, and less neighborhood water).

Back with my ancient laptop which had XP, it would often switch to virtual memory when I played the game (I got a message). It only had 512 mb memory, so it didn't have too much to work with. May also be because I had around 14 GB of CC with a loading time of 3 hours, and a lot of lag so I never installed anything more than up to FT on it. I'm still surprised it ran for as long as it did, because I drove that thing really hard and played almost daily I started the story hood on this laptop - my staionary ran it fine, but my old laptop refused to open it up, so I don't have too high hopes it'll be able to run on the new one)
Test Subject
Original Poster
#23 Old 8th Aug 2019 at 2:06 AM
^ i don't know if it actually worked, though - I still had some pink-flashing. But the Virtual Memory fix may have been what helped (involved deleting the VM files and creating new ones). Since I did the fixes I dared do in the "set up Win10 for gaming" video, I've ran the game once, and didn't see even a hint of pink-flashing - but I haven't done any extended testing (other than it being on the same lot I've used for testing, with shaders turned on and a pool + an aquarium on the lot to test if it actually did work, and around 700 MB of CC, including skin defaults). I did some tinkering with the VM files previous to following the video, and noticed a small positive change - but someone mentioned it wasn't a good move with an SSD so I set it back to what I thought was the original settings, and the pink got a bit worse again. So I do think the VM may play a role in this.

It seems each step I did helped a little bit, so I have hope I'll manage to get rid of most of the pink-flashing. I'm planning to do more testing once I've done some more backuping on my old laptop (I'm planning to set up a cleaner version of my old story hood, which in reality was just a Pleasantview copy from 2007 with a lot of clutter - it needs some serious refurbishing, preferably as few townies/NPCs as possible so I can use only sims I make, and less neighborhood water).

Back with my ancient laptop which had XP, it would often switch to virtual memory when I played the game (I got a message). It only had 512 mb memory, so it didn't have too much to work with. May also be because I had around 14 GB of CC with a loading time of 3 hours, and a lot of lag so I never installed anything more than up to FT on it. I'm still surprised it ran for as long as it did, because I drove that thing really hard and played almost daily I started the story hood on this laptop - my staionary ran it fine, but my old laptop refused to open it up, so I don't have too high hopes it'll be able to run on the new one)

Yeah, unfortunately I think I'm coming to the realization that I just might not be able to play the Sims 2 on my current system
Test Subject
Original Poster
#24 Old 9th Aug 2019 at 4:47 AM
A little update, very strange. Occasionally but not always, alt tabbing and tabbing back in to the game results in the pink textures either going away for a bit, or some go away and some don't. Also, sometimes with the shaders disabled the textures will be pink, and enabling shaders will make the pink disappear. Sometimes, it's the other way around. I'm very confused why this is the case as well as alt tabbing having any affect.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#25 Old 10th Aug 2019 at 11:56 PM
I think I have finally solved the issue! I posted on the Leefish forum and I got a recommendation that worked for me by Citrusalex. It's worth a shot for anybody who's having problems with similar cards. Thanks! http://www.leefish.nl/mybb/showthread.php?tid=8940
Page 1 of 2