Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 7th Feb 2016 at 3:28 AM
Default Population cap
Getting back into Sims 3 after a long hiatus now with a new comp, but I want to do a long, multigenerational type thing. I'm installing awesomemod and I actually sat down and read through the config page this time and noticed there is an option for population cap. Do you all do this? I've never done it before, but it seems like it'd be a good idea to help prevent save bloat. I read somewhere that it's good to set it at 100, but I wanted a bit more input. What should I set it to to keep my pops under control, keep performance good through multiple generations, and not have a barebones town? What is the default for EA Story progression, or is there not one?
The only other mods I'm using are Overwatch and ErrorTrap.
Advertisement
dodgy builder
#3 Old 7th Feb 2016 at 10:09 AM
That is kind of interesting. In ts3 the poplulation almost vanish after some time, while in ts4 they have to cull them to keep a potato of a game running.
Mad Poster
#4 Old 7th Feb 2016 at 1:03 PM Last edited by igazor : 8th Feb 2016 at 12:48 PM.
From what I understand, the default cap for EA story progression is around 180, but it depends on the world and such factors as how many 2+ bedroom houses are in town and possibly other things. I've never been clear if the +/- 180 was meant to be residents only or if it includes the homeless and ghosts. The problem, or one problem, is that it never works for most players as intended anyway after a couple of generations -- seems to get stuck in "emigrate everyone out" and no one can have any babies modes far too easily.

The default for NRaas StoryProgression is 150, but that means resident humans (non-pets) only. Each animal species has its own cap. The homeless and other sims in town don't count and they are soft caps in the sense that inactive sims will not be able to adopt or become pregnant on their own, and there will be no immigration until the resident population falls below the cap again or it is raised. User-directed activities such as adopting, directing sims to try for babies, and manually moving sims into houses as newly arriving households can still take place.

I usually set my soft caps at around 180-250, depending on the world. Some of them a bit lower just because there really isn't room in town for that many without having an average household size that's too high.