Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 13th Dec 2008 at 5:38 AM
Question about installing Sims2Pack files

I apologize if the answer to this question would go to is listed somewhere and I missed it somehow. I actually did look on the website and a bunch of posts in this forum but didn't find the answer

First question, why do the LOTS install to the "teleport" folder instead of download folder? This isn't really important, I was actually just curious.

My main question was about installing the Sims2Pack files. I can't seem to find information on what these two settings mean. I'm talking about the settings in the small window that opens up when you are installing a Sims2Pack file (After you click install).

1. The "Select File Extension" option. What are the differences in the two choices, "Packages" or "Sim2Tmp"? Does it matter which one I choose? Does it affect my game or the way the content shows up? I'm just not sure which one to choose.

2. The other thing is a checkbox that says "Generate Sims2Import file". I'm not sure what this is for either. Do I need to generate this kind of file for just installing my Sims2Pack files?

I don't even know if these things are important but I just like to know what everything does.
I have Windows XP and Sims 2 DD (which includes Base, NightLife and the Celebrations pack) and manually installed all the other expansion packs up to the latest one ,,"Mansions" and Gardens".
My download folder is organized by subfolders for my custom content.
I should also probably mention that I am only using this program (S2PCI) to install the occasional Sims2Pack file I come across and nothing else, because I usually just manually drag package files to the Downloads folder and I don't need to view or manage my CC files as of yet.

I also want to say that I love this program and I think it is really helpful! Thank you for creating such a helpful tool.
As for my questions, I would appreciate any responses or even being pointed in the right direction on where to look for the answers myself. On S2PCI site, I Looked at the installation instructions, the FAQ, the manual and a few other places but I just couldn't seem to find the answers.
Thanks in advance for any help!
Advertisement
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#2 Old 13th Dec 2008 at 1:13 PM
Lots install to the Teleport folder because that's where they're supposed to go.

Leave the settings the way they are by default. You don't need to mess with them at all. Let it install where it wants to, with the settings it wants to, and it'll work just fine.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 16th Dec 2008 at 9:26 PM
So I guess nobody knows the answer to what exactly those things mean?

I only asked about the lots being installed in the teleport folder because everywhere I read, they tell you to install in the download folder and that's what I have been doing. They seem to work fine from the download folder so I don't know. I will let the program install them to teleport from now on though.

As for the other custom content, letting the program install where it wants to would defeat the whole purpose of me installing S2PCI to begin with. I only really wanted it so I could control where everything I install gets downloaded to.

Anyway, it's strange that nobody knows what those two things I asked about mean. It just seems odd to me not to document it somewhere for the users but I guess it's no big deal because everything seems to be going okay with all the stuff I've installed with the program.

Thanks again for the great program!
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#4 Old 16th Dec 2008 at 9:40 PM
Installing lots to the Teleport folder with the default settings -is- the right way to do it. Any other way is NOT the right way. Other files can go in Downloads and be subfoldered how you want them, but don't mess with lots. I don't know what said to install lots to the Downloads folder but that's not right.

Lots are meant to go in Teleport to start with, with the sims2tmp extension. Once you run the game once they are moved to the LotCatalog folder, renamed in sequence with the cx_###.package files in there, and changed to the .package file type.

Most everything else with the exception of collections (which won't be in sims2pack files) are meant to go in Downloads as .package files.

Clean Installer's defaults will automatically give you the above.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#5 Old 17th Dec 2008 at 1:40 PM
Packaged sims are okay to go in the Downloads folder as .package files, but as HP says, import files in the teleport folder are essential to getting lots installed correctly.
Field Researcher
#6 Old 12th Jan 2009 at 7:22 PM
Quote: Originally posted by HystericalParoxysm
Once you run the game once they are moved to the LotCatalog folder, renamed in sequence with the cx_###.package files in there, and changed to the .package file type.

What if they don't?

I check my LotCatalog folder & see 62 (all Maxian) files.
I create & package a lot in the game.
I open up the package file with Clean Installer.
I select only the Lot Segment, to keep the file "clean".
I let Clean Installer do it's thing.
I check & see that 2 files with really long names are in the Teleport folder.
I boot up the game & see my packaged lot in the Lot Bin....

....but when I exit the game, I find I still only have the same 62 files in my LotCatclog folder that I had before installing my new lot.

This is very frustrating! I just want to know where my lot "is" in my game files! (The frustrating part is I never had this "invisible" lot problem before on my up-to-Seasons install.)

I have all EPs including AL & all SPs including M&G.

Any help would be wonderful!

**** Leader of the MoonBats! ****
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#7 Old 13th Jan 2009 at 3:15 PM
If it is in the lotbin and it was installed from a Sims 2 Pack, it is definitely in the Lot Catalog folder. It May not be numbered consecutively- for example, if you had CX_00001, CX_00002 and CX_00004, a newly installed lot may be numbered CX_00003 instead of CX_00005.