Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 23rd Nov 2015 at 8:33 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 3, World Adventures, Ambitions, Late Night, Generations, Pets, Showtime, Supernatural, Seasons, University Life, Island Paradise, Into the Future
Default CC Pattern overwrites other patterns and spreads like a virus?!
Hey Guys!

I have a really weird problem. I've been searching for a solution everywhere and can't even seem to find anyone else with the same problem.
Or maybe I'm just not searching for the right keywords, because it's kinda hard to describe.
In my fully patched game, all EPs, but no SPs installed, I seem to have a pattern "virus".

When I started up the game again after about a year of not playing it (and without installing any new CC, and I'm pretty sure it ran just fine before), I noticed that I seemed to have a custom pattern that appeared multiple times. And in every bin.
The next time I started the game, It had spread - now there were even more copies of that pattern.
THEN I noticed that other patterns were missing, and had been replaced by that first pattern.
So I uninstalled the pattern.
The next time I started it, it was still there.
So I tried the Dashboard, then I tried taking out all CC, renaming the folder, and started a clean game.
It was still there. I gave up, put my mod folder back in and decided to live with it.

THEN, the next time, the virus had spread and replaced almost all of the CC patterns - but it was another pattern!?
So it's not even the pattern that's the problem?

The only thing left to fix this seems to be a complete reinstall of the game - but before I do that, I thought I'd try one last time: Has anyone ever heard of that problem?
Does anyone have an idea what could have caused it? Or what I could try to get rid of it?!
I mean, it's just about the weirdest glitch I've ever had...! What's wrong with that game?
Advertisement
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#2 Old 23rd Nov 2015 at 9:35 PM
Is this actually affecting the patterns themselves, or just the thumbnails? Try deleting Documents\ Electronic Arts\ The Sims 3\ Thumbnails to see if that helps.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 23rd Nov 2015 at 10:48 PM
Nope, it's actually affecting the patterns. They all show up as the "virus" pattern when I use them.

Edit: And I also deleted the whole folder once, including Thumbnails.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#4 Old 23rd Nov 2015 at 10:55 PM
Well, the easiest thing to try first is to clear all of the compositor caches in case that helps.

When you said that you renamed the folder, do you mean your Mods folder or the DCCache folder, or the entire sims3 folder? Is your CC installed as package files or Sims3Packs?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 23rd Nov 2015 at 11:14 PM
Thanks for the help! I renames the entire sims3 folder, clearing Mods, Saves and Caches.
I also deinstalled the sims3packs I had, and haven't reinstallled them yet.
Then I started the game with a new, clean folder, completely without CC, and created a new family.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#6 Old 24th Nov 2015 at 12:15 AM
Where do you have your game installed to (i.e, Program Files folder or elsewhere?). If you are installed to the default location and you're running Vista or above then you could try emptying your Virtual Store.
http://simswiki.info/wiki.php?title...ws_7.2FVista.29
Also, if you modded anything in your gamedata files, revert those changes back.

After that, all that's left is to repair or reinstall. Be careful of that new patch if you're running digital, though!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 24th Nov 2015 at 8:32 AM
Hmm, that virtual store folder doesn't even exist on my PC... I guess I'll have to reinstall then. Thanks anyway!
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#8 Old 25th Nov 2015 at 11:13 AM
Let us know if that fixes it; I've never encountered this before!