Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Site Helper
#101 Old 15th Dec 2011 at 1:42 AM
Look at the last-modified date on your neighborhood files. If they have not been modified since you started fooling around with the unplayable characters, then you should be fine. Otherwise, I'd suggest that you restore from your latest backup.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#102 Old 15th Dec 2011 at 1:45 AM
Well that's not so bad, then. I hate having to reinstall, but that's not nearly as big a deal as having to ditch everything would be.

I appreciate your help, Maxon and Mootilda. Rotten as all this is to hear, I'd rather know than not, so thank you.
Site Helper
#103 Old 15th Dec 2011 at 1:46 AM
Sorry that we didn't manage to stop you before you decided to try it.
Mad Poster
#104 Old 15th Dec 2011 at 2:09 AM
That's okay. I know you'd have stopped me if you could have.

I'm just really really surprised I've never run across this information before, and rather in shock to be finding out that some of this stuff isn't safe to do even in a test 'hood!

Oh well. Live and learn!
Instructor
#105 Old 15th Dec 2011 at 10:13 AM
Oh, this is scary... Now I´m glad that I have reinstalled all my games since the last time I fooled around with Crubmlebottom. But I remember that she had family aspiration, no nice points (what a suprise ) 10 neat points and maxed body skill. After playing a bit with her I killed her and assumed that would get rid of her forever . Obviously this was before I knew anything about neighborhood corruption.
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#106 Old 15th Dec 2011 at 12:36 PM
D'oh - sorry Darby. If I'd realised what you were doing, I'd have said so before. For future information, these are the Universal NPCs:

Toddler New Year
Father Time
Santa Klaus
Hula Zombie
Pollination Technian
Grim Reaper
Therapist
Mrs Crumplebottom
Stinky Skunk
Witchdoctor
Bigfoot Bigfoot
Ideal Plantsim
Rod Humble
Genie
Spectral Assistant
Good Witch Cat

There are also a set of Unknowns but these wouldn't concern you, I guess. They are things like the penguin, radio-controlled car and the parrots - things that move but aren't sims.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Mad Poster
#107 Old 15th Dec 2011 at 3:43 PM Last edited by Darby : 15th Dec 2011 at 3:59 PM.
Thanks for that list, Maxon. Copy/pasted into a doc for future reference. "Universal" NPCs is a term I've not been aware of until now. Obviously.

Not your fault, either. I appreciate all your help!

ETA: Wait... some clarification on Bigfoot Bigfoot? Is that some kind of "master" Bigfoot from which the playable Bigfoots (Bigfeet?) are drawn? He/it wouldn't be accessible to screw around with even with cheats, would he/it? (eta: Oh, it shows up on the Tombstone, I bet, yes? Definitely good to know about it, then. And particularly nefarious, since there's a "safe" Bigfoot as well? Not that I'd recommend anyone use the Tombstone to get the playable Bigfoot anyway. Rather, the non-cheat befriend and move-in route should always be used.)
Mad Poster
#108 Old 15th Dec 2011 at 4:57 PM
are headmasters safe to use or to be made playable?
Mad Poster
#109 Old 15th Dec 2011 at 5:10 PM
Rule of thumb: NPCs that don't have names of their own and/or lack the normal friendship-building social interactions townies have should never be force-made playable with cheats or hacks.

I can't say for sure that the opposite is true in all cases, that any sim with a name and social interactions is "safe" (making such determinations being largely what this thread is about), but I'm pretty confident that the Headmaster, as a sim who can be befriended via normal, non-cheat means, is safe to move in or marry.
Mad Poster
#110 Old 15th Dec 2011 at 5:18 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Darby
I can't say for sure that the opposite is true in all cases, that any sim with a name and social interactions is "safe" (making such determinations being largely what this thread is about), but I'm pretty confident that the Headmaster, as a sim who can be befriended via normal, non-cheat means, is safe to move in or marry.

i remembered once that i invited the headmaster to get one of the kids in private school, after he left, i found him in the contact list in the phone.

anyways, this is the headmaster i was talking about in the previous post, he looks like one:

his name is BJ Ryan, im gonna get him to marry a matchmaker, Marie Ryan, unfortunately, they will be childless, since i coudnt find a child or anyone with the same last name as their.
Screenshots
Site Helper
#111 Old 15th Dec 2011 at 6:36 PM
some clarification on Bigfoot Bigfoot? Is that some kind of "master" Bigfoot from which the playable Bigfoots (Bigfeet?) are drawn? He/it wouldn't be accessible to screw around with even with cheats, would he/it? (eta: Oh, it shows up on the Tombstone, I bet, yes? Definitely good to know about it, then. And particularly nefarious, since there's a "safe" Bigfoot as well? Not that I'd recommend anyone use the Tombstone to get the playable Bigfoot anyway. Rather, the non-cheat befriend and move-in route should always be used.)
I was wondering about this as well. I believe that there is a "universal" Bigfoot who is cloned when you ask him to move in. The universal Bigfoot is unsafe, the clones are completely safe.

However, I would love confirmation from someone who actually has multiple Bigfoots (Bigfeet?) in their neighborhood.

If you don't know how to check, you could zip up your neighborhood and share it with us. We really only need the neighborhood package and your Characters subfolder; we don't need your Lots, Storytelling, or Thumbnails folders, or the neighborhood PNG or REIA. Sharing only what we need should (hopefully) make the shared file much smaller.
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#112 Old 15th Dec 2011 at 6:49 PM
Thanks for that list, Maxon. Copy/pasted into a doc for future reference. "Universal" NPCs is a term I've not been aware of until now. Obviously.

Well, given it's a term I made up for them, there's no reason you would particularly but it is known that, as a group, they are problematic should you mess with them.

ETA: Wait... some clarification on Bigfoot Bigfoot? Is that some kind of "master" Bigfoot from which the playable Bigfoots (Bigfeet?) are drawn? He/it wouldn't be accessible to screw around with even with cheats, would he/it? (eta: Oh, it shows up on the Tombstone, I bet, yes? Definitely good to know about it, then. And particularly nefarious, since there's a "safe" Bigfoot as well? Not that I'd recommend anyone use the Tombstone to get the playable Bigfoot anyway. Rather, the non-cheat befriend and move-in route should always be used.)

Yes - master bigfoot would cover it. What the game does, I understand, is use that version of Bigfoot as a template to build the playable ones (in other words, it copies the appearance and some other bits and pieces over into a new sim file). The playable Bigfeet have a proper name. The one in Little Carping is called Frank, Frank Bigfoot. 'How nice', I thought. Same with the plantsim, BTW - the game uses the universal one to change the appearance of your sim when they convert to plantsimism - in that case, I think it's just the outer skin and maybe the characteristics (like the changed needs) that get copied over.

Quote: Originally posted by M.M.A.A.
are headmasters safe to use or to be made playable?

Yes, Vince Walter is making Winifred Crumplebottom's life hell as we speak ... type, read, whatever.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Mad Poster
#113 Old 15th Dec 2011 at 7:55 PM
Quote: Originally posted by maxon
The playable Bigfeet have a proper name.

Yes, and that definitely supports my rule of thumb about who's safe and who's not.

Thanks for the clarifications! I really don't plan to do any more experimenting myself, but I like to be as clear on the facts as possible when passing information on to others. I very much value and appreciate trustworthy sources.
Field Researcher
#114 Old 15th Dec 2011 at 8:12 PM
Did we ever figure out if streakers are safe or not? I married one into a household a while back and saw no ill effects from it, except that she kept wandering around naked, which was more funny than annoying. But someone posted earlier that streakers may not be safe because their character files get borked when they are moved into a household. I don't know how to check that on my own computer -- anyone have tips?

"Demons were like genies or philosophy professors — if you didn't word things exactly right, they delighted in giving you absolutely accurate and completely misleading answers."
--Terry Pratchett
Mad Poster
#115 Old 15th Dec 2011 at 11:14 PM
are burglars safe to use or to be made playable?
Meet Me In My Next Life
#116 Old 16th Dec 2011 at 1:35 AM
are burglars safe to use or to be made playable?

@ >> M.M. A. A. The burglar comes to Sims homes on a random ( to steal ) they may not seem like marriage or friendship material, but you never know.

The only way to begin a relationship with him or her, is to engage in a bit of lawlessness. Otherwise follow these steps :

1. After the Burglar is apprehended they are put into the police car. While the police go inside to talk to the Sims. Click on the police car door to find the "Open Rear Door" interaction and release the burglar. You then can interact with him or her before they run off.
2. The burglar is also added to the relationship panel (after his crime) so he then become like any other acquaintance that you can invite over or befriend and even marry.

Once the burglar is brought into the family his days of crimes and lawlessness is over.

My question is who would want to be friends with them after they rip- off your home ? Or who would want them to be the father of their childrens ? With their past wrong doing ? But all and all yes they are selectable Sims.

"Nothing in life is a Surprise it just happen to come your way at the time".
Mad Poster
#117 Old 16th Dec 2011 at 4:52 PM
Dustin Broke is friends with Gordon King, the burglar, right?
Instructor
#118 Old 16th Dec 2011 at 7:13 PM
Yes, that´s right. Some players even pair them up, lol. I once had one of my sim marry one fo the female burglars. I only remember that she was a very sweet sim and that it never caused any problems with my game (or at least nothing that I noticed).
Mad Poster
#119 Old 16th Dec 2011 at 7:44 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Simonut
My question is who would want to be friends with them after they rip- off your home ? Or who would want them to be the father of their childrens ? With their past wrong doing ? But all and all yes they are selectable Sims.

well, my Burglar didnt steel anything from anyone.

and hes in the Law Enforcement Career right now.
Meet Me In My Next Life
#120 Old 16th Dec 2011 at 8:15 PM
Dustin Broke is friends with Gordon King, the burglar, right?

Yes Dustin is friends with the burglar Gordon King, but Dustin is no better off himself he also had a part time job in the crime career that why they are friends, the game already had him in that career. In my game I made him clean his act up, I took him out of that career and made him do better in his home work, and get a better part time job. In my game Dustin is ready for College. But I have not play the household in a while. ( too busy building lots for my custom hood. )

"Nothing in life is a Surprise it just happen to come your way at the time".
Undead Molten Llama
#121 Old 16th Dec 2011 at 8:49 PM
Someone was asking about Grand Vamps. I just wanted to say that in my oldest living 'hood (which is at Generation 30something), one of the Contessas is the Grand Matriarch, all the way back to "Generation 0," of the Massive Vampire Clan that is pretty much the entirety of that 'hood's playable population. I did change her aspiration, but other than that, she's "as-is," so to speak. She's still alive and well, and so is the neighborhood, which I don't play often anymore, but keep around mostly for nostalgia. So I'd say that if Grand Vamps were unsafe, that 'hood probably would've gone bye-bye generations ago.

I'm mostly found on (and mostly upload to) Tumblr these days because, alas, there are only 24 hours in a day.
Muh Simblr! | An index of my downloads on Tumblr.
Mad Poster
#122 Old 17th Dec 2011 at 8:35 PM Last edited by Darby : 18th Dec 2011 at 4:57 PM.
Just going to throw this out there... Seeing as how my game is totally borked right now anyway, is there any testing of "unsafe" behavior I can do to help with this project of determining what NPCs are safe to make playable while it's still in this state?

ETA: No? In that case, commencing with the pesky reinstall.
Scholar
#123 Old 23rd Dec 2011 at 3:50 AM
I can't remember reading this in earlier posts (only have 5min to write this before heading out the door to work) but what about the 'random' sims assigned to be hairdressers in the community lot in Bluewater? Some serious good looking sims that a few of my playables seem to crushing on (no pink hearts in relationship panel...yet) they often seem to have 3bolters & good genes...they don't have 'normal' interactions, but if I boolproped to make one selectable, would be safe to invite them to move in ?
Mad Poster
#124 Old 23rd Dec 2011 at 4:03 AM
Quote: Originally posted by sweetbaby160
...they don't have 'normal' interactions, but if I boolproped to make one selectable, would be safe to invite them to move in ?

I don't know what NPCs you're talking about, but I think you're treading dangerous ground if you think it's okay to make a questionable NPC selectable, as long as you don't actually invite it to move in. The dangerous NPCs aren't only dangerous when moved in. They cause damage simply from being made selectable! Making a sim selectable is basically making that sim playable, even if only temporarily. Don't do this with NPCs you're not POSITIVE are safe.

If I had to guess, I'd guess these NPCs you're talking about are probably innocuous, but I wouldn't bet my game on it. Lack of normal interactions calls for caution until you know more.
Scholar
#125 Old 23rd Dec 2011 at 5:58 PM
Thank you Darby

I don't know what NPCs you're talking about...

The "Bluewater Baths & Salon" is what I think it's called, there are four hairdressing chairs in the front room (three hottubs in back of lot), each time a playable visits there, there is usually sims standing beside the chairs to do makeovers. I am assuming that they would be classified as NPC's only due to them having the same interactions available as the maid & crew.

Quote:
...but I think you're treading dangerous ground if you think it's okay to make a questionable NPC selectable, as long as you don't actually invite it to move in. The dangerous NPCs aren't only dangerous when moved in. They cause damage simply from being made selectable! Making a sim selectable is basically making that sim playable, even if only temporarily. Don't do this with NPCs you're not POSITIVE are safe. If I had to guess, I'd guess these NPCs you're talking about are probably innocuous, but I wouldn't bet my game on it. Lack of normal interactions calls for caution until you know more.

thank you, I wasn't aware of that, now I know (& knowing is half the battle)
What would be the best way to find out if they do end up safe? Or borking the game?
Page 5 of 18