Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
#26 Old 17th Jul 2009 at 5:18 AM
Oh... quick note for tutorial text. When I did the HEX replacements for the texture file for Lips there were only 4 replacements, not 7, so it might be worth mentioning that this varies depending on which painting you mod.
Advertisement
Alchemist
#27 Old 17th Jul 2009 at 5:21 AM
Ok, I'll give it a whirl and see what happens.

I was reversing with your FNV generator, which is how I reverse for the 'replacing the hex values' step, without issue. I only employed the same method here. -shrug- I can't copy/paste the reversed hashes from the stbl into my object file, so I need to just refer to the reversed code and type it in manually. I can't imagine that I typed it in wrong every single time I tried it. (I tried it a lot of times, with brain-aching concentration. hehe)
Alchemist
#28 Old 17th Jul 2009 at 6:20 AM Last edited by coltraz : 17th Jul 2009 at 7:15 AM.
OK, I tried again... and I'll try once more as I write this. here is explicitly what I'm doing:

I open Postal. I go to Plugins, and Open Console. File, open, new stbl. I copy
Quote:
stbl.strings.put(new Long(Checksum.fnv64("[STRING KEY]")), "[STRING VALUE]")
and paste it directly below it. In String Key I type: coltraz0917091:49.

In STRING VALUE I type the title of the painting, say, "Windmill Jess".

In the next STRING KEY I type coltraz0917091:50

In the VALUE, I type: "For best results, hang wall-hanging on wall".

So I have this:

All good?

Now I click Script/Run. I close without saving & am back in Postal with a String Table staring back at me. I double click this. A catalogue entry shows below that says,

0x09a604fc80db25bc For best results, hang wall-hanging on wall.
&
0x09a605fc80db2706 Windmill Jess

I go to Hex View and export it to the folder with my object file and .dds file that I'm working on.

Now, I open WinHex. I go File/Open, and open the object file I want to alter. I scroll down to the C in catalogue. I click the C. It turns blue. I click my left arrow 18 times. I click on the character that is now highlighted on the wider pane to the left of the narrower pane where the C in catalogue is. I refer to Postal to get the title's code.

CTRL+COPY. I paste it into Snaitf's FNV Generator's box on the lower left with the "Reverse" button next to it. I get rid of the text and the 0x so that I am left with 09a605fc80db2706.

I click "Reverse". I end up with: 0627db80fc05a609.

I go to WinHex and begin typing the reversed value in. It goes in. I check for errors.There are none.

I repeat process with the description value from Postal. From 09a604fc80db25bc I get bc25db80fc04a609. So now I manually type this value in, in WinHex, right where I left off. I check for errors. There are no errors.

I click Save.

In my work folder I rename the STBL with two 00's in the final set of numbers. I fire up Sim3PE. File/new/import. I select all three files from my work folder and import them. I save as a .package. I save as "coltest."

I drag this into my Packages folder. I clear my caches for good measure. I start Sims 3. I go into an empty lot and build a wall. I go into buy mode. There is my picture. I click it with bated breath and...

Title and Description are nothing but numbers.

Where in this process have I screwed up?

Sorry I'm being such a pain in the ass but honestly I am stumped.

(Attached the file below...)

ETA: This may all be irrelevant, because I just noticed that even snaitf's fixed file is showing up as numbers in my game. When I got rid of most all my package files aside from the fixed version and coltest, the fixed version showed up fine, coltest was still numbers. When I replaced all my packages Snaitf's fixed version went back to being numbers.

Total insanity.
Attached files:
File Type: zip  colttest.zip (31.4 KB, 14 downloads) - View custom content
Eminence Grise
Original Poster
#29 Old 17th Jul 2009 at 7:35 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Valencay
Oh... quick note for tutorial text. When I did the HEX replacements for the texture file for Lips there were only 4 replacements, not 7, so it might be worth mentioning that this varies depending on which painting you mod.

OK thanks for that was 7 on the couple that I tested, so I guess I overgeneralized.

Quote: Originally posted by coltraz
I just noticed that even snaitf's fixed file is showing up as numbers in my game. When I got rid of most all my package files aside from the fixed version and coltest, the fixed version showed up fine, coltest was still numbers. When I replaced all my packages Snaitf's fixed version went back to being numbers.

Total insanity.

Lol, you said it Hopefully somebody other than me would have a clue about that.
Lab Assistant
#30 Old 17th Jul 2009 at 4:34 PM
Okay, having made a little batch tonight after putting bub to bed, I believe I have the answer for you Coltraz....

I noticed that the stbl file exported from Postal always has the same name. The tutorial only mentions changing the language code not giving it a whole new ID. Testing it... If there are multiple packages with same STBL file name, 1 displays correctly and the rest show up as the weird numbers. Changing the STBLs to unique IDs for each package... everything done with the HEX will then display correctly in game.
Test Subject
#31 Old 17th Jul 2009 at 6:17 PM Last edited by SimsArtGallery : 17th Jul 2009 at 6:43 PM.
Okay, having made a little batch tonight after putting bub to bed, I believe I have the answer for you Coltraz....

I noticed that the stbl file exported from Postal always has the same name. The tutorial only mentions changing the language code not giving it a whole new ID. Testing it... If there are multiple packages with same STBL file name, 1 displays correctly and the rest show up as the weird numbers. Changing the STBLs to unique IDs for each package... everything done with the HEX will then display correctly in game.

I'm having the exact same problem as coltraz. So are you telling us that we need to generate a new hash number for the stbl and change that number as we do with the img and obj files? Just trying to be clear here. Nothing I tried worked to solve the problem last night.

Errg. No you weren't because I just tried it and it doesn't work. Doing that still shows up numbers.
Sir Not Appearing In This Film
#32 Old 17th Jul 2009 at 6:46 PM
Ah yes, Valencay is correct.

In the tutorial, in the last section, #1 should should tell you to generate a new FNV64 hash and rename the STBL with that, THEN change the first two characters to "00".

If you have two objects with a STBL of the exact same instance, you will get a conflict.
Test Subject
#33 Old 17th Jul 2009 at 7:12 PM Last edited by SimsArtGallery : 17th Jul 2009 at 7:26 PM.
Ok, I finally got the name of the painting showing doing it again. But now the description is still numbers....

I'm wondering if you have to make all 16 language changes for that to show up correctly. I know it may not make sense, but not changing the the first two hex numbers to 00 results in numbers.

Nope, I just checked it and it still works out that I have a name but the description is still numbers.
Alchemist
#34 Old 17th Jul 2009 at 8:25 PM Last edited by coltraz : 17th Jul 2009 at 8:44 PM.
Oh thank zombie jesus!! I was really beginning to think I had gone mentally sub-normal. All titles and descriptions now WORKING. -Coltraz does the title and descriptions now working mumbo jumbo dance-
Eminence Grise
Original Poster
#35 Old 17th Jul 2009 at 10:00 PM
Ahhh ok -- my error, thanks for working that out >< And I'm sorry about the confusion! Apparently I did it right but wrote it down wrong Fixed now.
Alchemist
#36 Old 18th Jul 2009 at 2:57 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Srikandi
Ahhh ok -- my error, thanks for working that out >< And I'm sorry about the confusion! Apparently I did it right but wrote it down wrong Fixed now.

Psh! Don't feel bad! It's not like we're paying you for results. Your tutorial is still the awesome, and thank you for writing it. This was and is one of the most important things I wanted for modding TS3.
Lab Assistant
#37 Old 18th Jul 2009 at 2:06 PM
I agree with Coltraz. Absolutely awesome. I have never, ever edited a Sims object before and your tutorial broke everything down so well that I now have a much greater understanding of how it all works. All you get is huge thanks and no complaints from me.
Test Subject
#38 Old 18th Jul 2009 at 7:04 PM
Ok, I got this working. It seems that you CANNOT copy and paste in postal the section on [STRING KEY]. I was copying and pasting then changing only one thing to make it different from the first one. It seems you have to actually type out both lines for the name and description part to come out correctly. If I actually typed it, everything was fine. If I C&P'd I got numbers.
Alchemist
#39 Old 18th Jul 2009 at 7:19 PM
Has anyone had any luck altering the goth poster, or the car picture? Neither of these seem to last past the replacing hex values bit, in which case you get a message saying that the value has been replaced 0 times.
Eminence Grise
Original Poster
#40 Old 19th Jul 2009 at 2:23 AM Last edited by Srikandi : 19th Jul 2009 at 3:10 AM.
Peter's Object Cloner is out today, so folks still having issues may want to try with the method Xanathon suggests here: http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=356694
Test Subject
#41 Old 19th Jul 2009 at 5:58 AM
Coltraz,

I've recolored the car painting and it was fine. When I've come across a painting that replaces 0 instances, it's because I've mixed up a byte in either the original painting's hex number or the second hex number that is going to do the replacing. Recheck your hex numbers when that happens.
Test Subject
#42 Old 26th Jul 2009 at 5:46 PM Last edited by sooperacorn : 26th Jul 2009 at 7:53 PM. Reason: Figured it out myself eventually
I must start by saying that this tutorial is AMAZING! I don't even know what a Hex IS let alone how to edit one, but i've managed to make Picasso's "Weeping Woman" and it's in my game!! (I cannot stress how needlessly excited this small accomplishment has made me. ROFL)

That being said, here are the few places I got hung up and had to use trial and error. Thought you might like to know where a complete N00b got lost.

Place #1
Find and extract the .dds file for the picture you want to clone, and modify it
9. Flatten the file, and save it. We used DXT5 compression, but DXT1 gives a smaller filesize and is probably fine for most images.

When I click save, a box called NVIDIA dds Format v8.23 comes up and there are 2 DXT1 formats available to chose:

1. DXT1 RGB 4bpp no alpha
2. DXT1 ARGB 4 bpp 1 bit alpha

I guessed and chose #1 and since my painting now shows up perfectly in-game I'm assuming I chose correctly?

Place #2
Find and modify the corresponding object file to point to your image
7. "In Windows, I rename the .object file I just hex edited, replacing the old id part of the filename with the one I just generated."

S3_319E4F1D_00000000_00000000000006E7_PaintingAnimalGiraffe%%+OBJD.object is the full file name for my .object file I hex edited in steps 1-6. I guessed that I was supposed to replace the "00000000000006E7" part..

Later in the tutorial ("Make your object file point to the new STBL, and set a price" section) you have a screen shot of the "renamed Object file" that has been opened with the hex editor, but even there I couldn't see how you inserted this new ID. The file name that appears to be open in the
screenie is exactly the same as the one I have above. (Pre-replacement, just the vanilla .object filename after hex editing.)

Again, since it's working in my game i'm assuming what i did was correct?

~E
Screenshots
Attached files:
File Type: rar  Sooperacorn_Weeping_Woman_Picasso.rar (41.8 KB, 12 downloads) - View custom content

Greater Pittsburgh Paranormal Society
"Orbs Don't Count!"
Investigator-In-Training
Eminence Grise
Original Poster
#43 Old 27th Jul 2009 at 1:28 AM
Quote: Originally posted by sooperacorn
Again, since it's working in my game i'm assuming what i did was correct?

I guess so, lol.

Thanks, I'll look at the tut and see if I can sort out the issue with the number... I may have just taken the screen at a different point in the process than where I pasted it.

As for the compression type in the DDS dialog -- basically, in general, you want the highest compression that supports the image you're doing, to save texture memory in-game. What that is depends on the image. The DXT1 no-alpha version is going to generally be fine for pictures, because they don't have transparency, but somebody else reported they had to go up to DXT5 (which includes alpha) to get their image to work... not sure why But it seems there's no one-size-fits-all answer.
Top Secret Researcher
#44 Old 27th Jul 2009 at 1:50 AM
Srikandi, Thanks for the tutorial. Do you know if there is a tutorial for making paintings with the object cloner? I am dying to try it but I need something written like your tutorial in order to follow all the steps.
Eminence Grise
Original Poster
#45 Old 27th Jul 2009 at 6:37 AM Last edited by Srikandi : 27th Jul 2009 at 11:16 PM.
Heh -- a lot of people are asking for it I've been postponing it because the object cloner has had a new version every single day pretty much since release, so it's a moving target.

It's probably close to feature-complete though, so I'll have a go in the next few days. In the meantime, though, this thread lays out the process: http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=356694
Scholar
#46 Old 29th Jul 2009 at 6:54 PM
Apologies up front if this was resolved, but, I don't see it.

Everything works fine for me except the price. I have gone thru the Tut step x step twice and both times it came up as $0.

I moved 1 byte to the right, changed the 8 digit code, and $0 both times?
Screenshots
Lab Assistant
#47 Old 29th Jul 2009 at 9:25 PM
Link to Snaitf's tool still not working for me but I found a hash generator online that did FNV64 and... Success! I now have a custom painting in game. (The frame is white because I just jammed something in and didn't bother with editing properly.)

The only hiccup I had following your tutorial was with Postal, because I had an older version. Updating to the current one fixed that. And the price came up as $0 so I must just have put that in the wrong place because the catalog title and descriptiuon were fine.

Thanks again. Just wanted to let you know the tutorial was very effective, even for someone like me to whom hexes and hashes etc are gobbledygook.

Could you possibly put that painting up for download? I'm really bad at makeing objects, clothes or hair....i even sucked at doing things in the sims 2...Its really cool! Thanks
Eminence Grise
Original Poster
#48 Old 29th Jul 2009 at 10:34 PM Last edited by Srikandi : 29th Jul 2009 at 11:34 PM.
Xanathon's tut gives a much better and less error-prone way of doing this: http://www.modthesims.info/showthre...831#post2750831

Just make sure you get the latest version of the Object Cloner and keep it up to date. Keep an eye out for new features too, it has a lot more functionality than just making paintings.

Quote: Originally posted by cameranutz2
Everything works fine for me except the price. I have gone thru the Tut step x step twice and both times it came up as $0.

I moved 1 byte to the right, changed the 8 digit code, and $0 both times?

It sounds like you're doing the steps correctly, so perhaps you are inputting the wrong value? What price did you want, and what hexadecimal conversion did you get for it?
Scholar
#49 Old 30th Jul 2009 at 2:47 PM
I wanted $100 and the conversion came up as 42C80000.

I entered it as 00 00 8C 24.

Appreciate your help Srikandi, and the tutorial, thank you!
Lab Assistant
#50 Old 30th Jul 2009 at 3:37 PM
Quote: Originally posted by cameranutz2
I wanted $100 and the conversion came up as 42C80000.

I entered it as 00 00 8C 24.

You have to type 00 00 C8 42.
Locked thread | Locked by: HugeLunatic Reason: Outdated ... Please see wiki for more up-to-date tutorial
Page 2 of 3