Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 12th Jun 2011 at 12:17 AM Last edited by AdamMLover : 13th Jun 2011 at 3:23 AM.

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 3, World Adventures, Ambitions, Late Night
Default Crashes solved, but new problems with CAST and CC not showing up
New problem: In CAST sometimes no swatches load for misc. and then it won't let me exit CAST or do anything other than leave CAS. Also, I think that some of my CC isn't showing up. There is some showing, but I think there is some missing (although I may just be going crazy).

For starters, I have the base game, WA, Ambitions, and Late Night.
So, I patched the game yesterday after having not played for a few months. Then I added some custom content to the game and tried to start playing. When I tried to load the neighborhood the game crashed and my entire computer turned completely off. I tried again with no CC and it worked. Then I tried without the CC I had just downloaded (so my old CC was in the Mods folder)+deleting the cache files and it worked. I used the 50/50 method to try and find the problem CC. The first time instead of actually doing half and half, I did objects+patterns as one half and skins as another. I found some objects that were creating that problem so I took those out to be deleted later. When I tried the entire batch of clothing though, it too caused a crash, so I did a 50/50 thing on that and none of the batches caused problems. Then I took all of the CC I had proven was "clean" (this is still all from the new downloads, I still to this moment have not re-added the old CC because it should work) and put all of it in the game and it still crashed. It couldn't have been because there were too many files for it to handle because the new downloads are a fraction of the size of my normal mods folder. Plus, I can't tell if any of the CC is actually corrupted or incompatible, especially because I don't know how a piece of hair or other non-hack CC could cause my entire computer to shut down. So I guess this narrows it down to the patch and my computer, although as I said, this load is less demanding than my normal one so I have no reason to believe my computer doesn't have enough power (also it greatly surpasses the system requirements). I'm just confused as to why it works without CC and with small batches of CC (and with a GIANT batch that I've had for a while) but not with just my new downloads from yesterday. I even deleted the cache files again and tried again with this same batch of downloads that I had already cleaned out with the 50/50 method.

I'm stumped by this. I guess the next step is to uninstall, but I didn't want to spend all of that time doing that if I was just misinterpreting my previous results. I feel like it is just randomly crashing (as in completely independent of the CC files), but what could be causing it? Is uninstalling and reinstalling really my next step?

I just don't even understand how a game can cause my computer to turn all of the way off. Sorry for the really long description, but I just find this problem so baffling.
Advertisement
In the Arena
retired moderator
#2 Old 12th Jun 2011 at 6:12 AM
Default MTS2 Staff Reply
  • General - Post System Specs
    We need more information before we can help with your issue.
    • Please post a Quick summary of your System Specs
      Instructions on finding them are here: Game Help:System Specswiki.
    Please Do NOT post your complete DxDiag report in your thread.

• Sims 3 - Game Problems
    For generic game related issues, please see this FAQ:Try each of the steps listed to either solve the problem or rule out Custom Content as the cause.

Did you verify the CC did not need updating, that how you know they would/should work?
You've pinpointed the cause to just .package CC? Sims3Packs installs can get borked too, you know.

Applied the DEP changes to ts3w.exe and using that to start the game instead of Launcher? Guide in Game Problem FAQ's Related pages, Crash Workaround -> DEP -> Change DEP settings.

Need to do all 3 of the steps to be completely sure. On a new game.
After step#2 works: means .package CC is the cause.
After step#3 works: means .Sims3Pack CC, or other user folders is the cause (like Saves, Library, etc)

Mind if we verify System Specs, just to be thorough?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 12th Jun 2011 at 5:45 PM Last edited by AdamMLover : 13th Jun 2011 at 2:24 AM.
Well it worked with just removing the new .package CC so I figured the sims3packs were fine. I realized that I don't really care too much about the CC that was not working so I decided to just leave it out. I don't see any reason it would be technical related because it has nothing to do with the volume of CC (it worked with my old almost 2GB of downloads, but not with less than 100MB), but I'll post specs anyways.

==System==

Operating System: Windows Vista Home Premium
System Manufacturer: Gateway
System Model: FX6800-01e
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU (and then to the right it says) 920 @ 2.67GGz (8 CPUS), ~2.7GHz
Memory: 3062 RAM (the one downfall of this computer, I think I'll upgrade it soon)
Page File: 2992MB used, 3347MB available
DirectX Version: DirectX 10

==Display==

Name: ATI Radeon HD 4850
Manufacturer: ATI Technologies Inc.
Chip Type: ATI Radeon Graphics Processor (0x9442)
Approx. Total Memory: 1782 MB
Main Driver: atidxx32,atidxx64.dll,atiumdag,atiumdva,atiumd64.dll,atiumd6a.dat,atitmm64.dll
Version: 7.15.0010.0127 (English)
Driver Date: 7/3/2008 08:27:10 (eeek, I should probably update this)

(I'm assuming we don't need sound or DVD drive info). Anyways, I played last night with my old CC and it worked almost perfectly, except sometimes no swatches will load under misc. in CAST and it won't let me leave CAST without it loading. I don't know what that could be now.

Edit: Well, I updated my driver so I guess I'll post that below, but I'm leaving the old one up too considering that is what I was using when I was playing the game. I'm going to play right now and see if there is any any more glitchiness, but hopefully there isn't anything too bad. I'm just worried about the CAST thing. Anyways...........

Name: ATI Radeon HD 4850
Manufacturer: ATI Technologies Inc.
Chip Type: ATI Radeon Graphics Processor (0x9442)
Approx. Total Memory: 1782 MB
Main Driver: aticfx64.dll,aticfx64.dll,aticfx64.dll,aticfx32,aticfx32,aticfx32,atiumd64.dll,atidxx64.dll,atidxx64.dll,atiumdag,atidxx32,atidxx32,atiumdva,atiumd6a.cap,atitmm64.dll
Version: 8.17.0010.1077 (English)
Driver Date: 4/19/2011 19:07:46

Also I'm fairly sure that some portion of my CC isn't showing up at all.
In the Arena
retired moderator
#4 Old 13th Jun 2011 at 6:09 AM