Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Inventor
Original Poster
#1 Old 17th Apr 2016 at 8:25 AM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 3, World Adventures, Generations, Pets, Showtime, Seasons, University Life, Island Paradise, Into the Future
Default Trying to adopt stray cat but interactions vanish
My sim found a stray cat and made friends with it but making it stay has proven difficult...

Interactions would sometimes vanish quickly but they could be reassigned. But once he was finally able to get the cat inside the house, every interaction vanishes in a flash and never get done. He interacted with the cat on his own but that was it. And meanwhile the cat is very distressed because it can't go outside (nor can my sim pick it up), and even putting cat items in the house such as a food bowl and a litter pan don't seem to change its behavior (it peed on the floor and fell asleep in it).

So uh...any advice? I've tried resetting my sims and the cat but nothing happens (I think the sim doesn't reset because he's in the house already and the cat is just named Stray Cat...)
Advertisement
Inventor
Original Poster
#3 Old 18th Apr 2016 at 1:35 AM
Then why would it work outside? I can't even pick the cat up now to take it outside.

This is the first time I've ever tried to adopt a stray. Usually when interactions vanish like that it's because the thing they were trying to interact with isn't there any more (ie, if I tell two sims to take a plate of something but the first one finishes it, or if they try to interact with a person who's about to leave). But never on something that's stayed in one place and is constantly present.
Inventor
Original Poster
#5 Old 18th Apr 2016 at 3:11 AM
Quote: Originally posted by nitromon
Pets are really just like any other sim. What you're experiencing is a glitch, the question is where the glitch is coming from. Most likely it is a mod conflict, but there are other instances when they're not mod related.

Btw, you didn't mention, but did you actually adopt the pet? Or is it just an invited guest?

Anyhow, I've had glitches similar to this when my sim travels a couple of times. The sim refuses to do anything I ask him to do, everything just gets cancelled immediately. However, the sim can do its own autonomous things, basically his free will overwritten my commands. Perhaps it evolved beyond the programming? haha

There's only so much you can do. You can use MC to reset it and see if that helps (it didn't help in my case). Or you can try running a clean game with your current save to see if that resolves it. But this won't be a completely clean run, the glitch may be saved down in your savegame.

I've adopted a few strays in my sims game. Interactions are just the same as any other sim you interact with. Once you get enough friendly pts, you invite him in and then he acts like a guest sim. Then eventually you can adopt him (which would be sims equivalent of "ask to move in")

Alternatively, I think you can use testingcheats to simply "add to family."

I only have three mods, one for a yoga mat, one for a radio, and one for a maneki neko (ironically enough).

When the cat was scratching the couch the others got the "guest is behaving inappropriately" moodlet thing so I guess it's considered a guest. I'll try to add it to the family.
Inventor
Original Poster
#6 Old 18th Apr 2016 at 3:43 AM
Well that was a bust. I'm trying "add to active household" and the cheat window tells me repeatedly that "add" isn't a known command. And writing it all as one word doesn't work either. I've tried it with testingcheatsenabled both on and off. Move object doesn't work either, and none of my sims are selectable despite it saying specifically in the description that you can move sims with it.
Inventor
Original Poster
#8 Old 18th Apr 2016 at 8:50 AM
I did it in build mode too and it kept saying that the cat couldn't be moved. Neither could either of my sims on the lot, the one who had bonded with the cat or the other one.

"resetsim *" with the asterisk?

Wait, is the command "addtoactivefamily"? I was using "addtoactivehousehold". Well, as well as writing them as individual words since that's how the site here wrote it but it kept saying that "add" wasn't a recognized word.
Inventor
Original Poster
#10 Old 19th Apr 2016 at 3:13 AM
Huh. I guess I wasn't pushing shift. The cat is in the family now.

But that still doesn't tell me why the interactions were vanishing like that!