Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
#101 Old 11th Feb 2005 at 4:47 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Xenos
Stephanie - Looks to me like you got the new version of SimPE, but you didn't delete the GDMC plugin in your plugins folder (the new version has this built in, so you need to delete that). If you got a new version of SimPE within the last 24 hours or so, delete the file from yoru plugin folder - instructions are at the SimPE site (cuz I forget the exact filename to delete - starts with "cc" I believe...) Give that a try and see if it helps.

X.

P.S. Now I just have to figure out what my own problems are. Definitely in the naming "fix integrity" dealio, but I'm going bald...

Thanks

Now I aready delete that GDMC plugin in my plugins folder

I can continue to edit my new mesh

Thank you very much :bump:
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#102 Old 11th Feb 2005 at 4:57 PM
Glad it helped.

X.
Lab Assistant
#103 Old 11th Feb 2005 at 7:25 PM
BriAnna,

I understand you also did a hair tutorial? Where can I find it? I am trying to do a new style and I can not manipulate the files like I want in bodyshop.
Lab Assistant
#104 Old 11th Feb 2005 at 7:27 PM
One more thing, how can I make them transparent too. Is there a tut for that? I have been trying and slip on making one item, but don't know how I did it, hehe
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#105 Old 11th Feb 2005 at 11:24 PM
I don't have a tutorial for hair, but will make one soon. This tool can't handle hair right now, but Wes's can, and the next version of this one should, too.

As for transparency, that's mostly just a matter of editing the alpha that bodyshop kicks out. Mess around with levels of gray, you'll see what I mean.
Lab Assistant
#106 Old 11th Feb 2005 at 11:41 PM
ok, that is probably how I got it transparent before because I was messing around with greying. Wes" ok, I know this a person, does he has a tool? Or does he take request, lol I just want to remove some hair or thin it out some. Can that be done. BTW Thank you for your response.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#107 Old 11th Feb 2005 at 11:44 PM
Yeah, it's in the "milkshape plugins" thread in this section.
Test Subject
#108 Old 12th Feb 2005 at 5:32 AM
Default Problem with Editing Slip Mesh
Hi BriAnna,

First, I want to thank you so much for providing this tutorial. Your directions were so clear, they were very easy to follow and I was sucessful importing meshing the first try. Wonderful pics too, Windkeeper!

Although, I have tried to edit the mesh for the slip found in PJs. It's the one that has the extra alpha and texture files. When I edit the mesh, everything looks about the same except there is a region of black on the lower portion of the skirt. I ignored it and edited anyway. Nothing big just made it a bit longer...no vertices clashed. Then when I imported it , it caused body shop to crash and dump three files (dump_object_1; dump_object_2.....) So, I was wondering if there are extra steps to edit this sort of mesh whether it would be in sims PE or milkshape. I tried to edit the slip twice and followed your directions perfectly and got the same crash.

Any suggestions?

Thanks again for providing a great tutorial!
Test Subject
#109 Old 12th Feb 2005 at 1:27 PM
:howdy: ... it works with hairstyles, too... i'm very happy...
thanks again...

this is my HP - cu there?
Lab Assistant
#110 Old 12th Feb 2005 at 1:27 PM Last edited by Xenos : 12th Feb 2005 at 1:29 PM.
Ugh - after two days of tinkering, three times of deleting everything and going back to step 1 to make sure I didn't miss anything, I finally managed to figure out where my problem is. (Thanks to the new preview feature in SimPE!! Nice work! Thanks, Thanks, Thanks!).

My problem appears to be in the Mesh Tool? Or maybe not.

Here's what I've got...

I get all the way up to step 33 (Open the mesh tool).

I load my edited OBJ file. Works fine. When I click "File->3D View" my modified mesh appears.

I load my "orgiginalGMDC.5gd". This file is the one I just extracted from my MESH_MyName.package in my downloads folder. Things say that they are fine and I save the file as "myNewGMDC.simpe".

Now, back in SimPE, I "replace" the GMDC file with "myNewGMDC", commit, and save - but when I preview it in SimPE - I see the old mesh and not the new one.

So, my error seems to be in how I'm working with the MeshTool.

Summary:

Modified Object is loaded (and appears properly in the 3D View from mesh tool).

Original GMDC is loaded in mesh tool and saved as a new GMDC.

Load that new GMDC in SimPE and it's still the old mesh showing.

For the life of me, I can't figure out how this is even possible....

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated.

X.
Test Subject
#111 Old 12th Feb 2005 at 2:57 PM
Finally, I made my first Sims2 Mesh ,yeah~:bump:

A silver ballgown

In Sims2 effect:
:D
Field Researcher
#112 Old 12th Feb 2005 at 6:10 PM
Ugh - after two days of tinkering, three times of deleting everything and going back to step 1 to make sure I didn't miss anything, I finally managed to figure out where my problem is. (Thanks to the new preview feature in SimPE!! Nice work! Thanks, Thanks, Thanks!).

My problem appears to be in the Mesh Tool? Or maybe not.

Here's what I've got...

I get all the way up to step 33 (Open the mesh tool).

I load my edited OBJ file. Works fine. When I click "File->3D View" my modified mesh appears.

I load my "orgiginalGMDC.5gd". This file is the one I just extracted from my MESH_MyName.package in my downloads folder. Things say that they are fine and I save the file as "myNewGMDC.simpe".

Now, back in SimPE, I "replace" the GMDC file with "myNewGMDC", commit, and save - but when I preview it in SimPE - I see the old mesh and not the new one.

So, my error seems to be in how I'm working with the MeshTool.

Summary:

Modified Object is loaded (and appears properly in the 3D View from mesh tool).

Original GMDC is loaded in mesh tool and saved as a new GMDC.

Load that new GMDC in SimPE and it's still the old mesh showing.

For the life of me, I can't figure out how this is even possible....

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated.

X.

This is the exact same problem I'm having. It loads fine in the mesh tool in the 3d view but I still get the old mesh when I test it. Please someone tell me where we are going wrong... I've been trying for days over and over and I am going crazy!

~faeriegurl~
Sims 2 Creations - http://www.sims2creations.com

faerie's blog - http://spaces.msn.com/members/enchantedrealm/
Test Subject
#113 Old 12th Feb 2005 at 6:14 PM
why
hi
I have the new problem ..:banghead:

when i replace the new .simpe (editedgown.simpe),and save my mesh file.Everything seems ok..

but...when i open my bodyshop,and the new mesh is empty!!!OMG...why....please help~!:
banghead::banghead:

http://photoimg9.qq.com/cgi-bin/loa...%2FGxN0GA%3D%3D
Lab Assistant
#114 Old 12th Feb 2005 at 6:48 PM
Pegy - I'm not 100% sure, but that is what will usually happen if you don't do the "Fix Integrity" thing and then embed the updated files in your package file in the SavedSims folder. Bascially, the hash numbers aren't matching up with the hash numbers in your mesh. (I learned this as I was trying to solve my problem above and have a really good handle on this aspect of it).

To solve it, do the "Make A New Mesh" steps, followed by the "Pointing the temp skin at the new mesh package" steps followed by the "Putting the new mesh into your mesh package file." steps.

Doing these (as if you were doing them from scratch) should maybe fix it.

X.
Test Subject
#115 Old 12th Feb 2005 at 10:19 PM
Default I got an error....
When I was doing one of the steps where we click Export to....whatever...I get an error. I got a similar error before when we had to click Export to...and you said a pop-up would come up and to click ok so I thought you meant to click Continue so I continued on and I got the error again when I had to do this similar thing again so I clicked Continue but I cannot continue onto the next step in my MilkShape 3d thing. I try to search for the .obj file by going to import - Wavefront obj... but I cannot find the file anywhere you mentioned so I thought that this error is not right. What do I do? The error that says:
An unhandled exception has occurred in your application. If you click Continue, the application will ignore this error and attempt to continue. If you click Quit, the application will be shut down immediately.
Method not found: Byte[] SimPe.Plugin.GeometryDataContainerItem1.get_Data[].
Lab Assistant
#116 Old 13th Feb 2005 at 8:29 AM
Chriko,

Can you give some of us a little knowledge since it appears you have found a way to successful manipulate and change the styles.

I have been working for weeks and just came up with one style. I have many in mind.
Field Researcher
#117 Old 13th Feb 2005 at 8:33 AM
Love that hairstyle Chriko, I haven't gotten up the courage to try doing hair yet!

www.parsimonious.org
Artists - Get your own Studio! Always be featured!
Lab Assistant
#118 Old 13th Feb 2005 at 4:24 PM
I can not find GMDC Wrapper anywhere in my list of installed plugins, I downloaded the latest version of SimPE and everything someone want to help me out please?? Thanks
Lab Assistant
#119 Old 13th Feb 2005 at 4:26 PM
please disregard my post I read the thread about the obj extracter wrong >.<
Lab Assistant
#120 Old 13th Feb 2005 at 4:49 PM
ok I lied I have looked over the installed plugins list so many times it's not even funny I can not find anything that says GMDC I installed the files in the plugins folder and still nothing could someone help me out thanks
Lab Assistant
#121 Old 14th Feb 2005 at 1:15 AM Last edited by Bubbleberri : 14th Feb 2005 at 1:21 AM.
Thanks for the tutorial, I tried 4 times to get long straight hair but I stink at this. :dunce: Still came up with the old original skin. Maybe hair needs to be done differently. Thanks for the tutorial on clothes though. I might give that a go and see what I come up with.
Lab Assistant
#122 Old 14th Feb 2005 at 12:29 PM Last edited by Xenos : 14th Feb 2005 at 1:52 PM.
Okay - I FINALLY figured out what's up - well, sort of, anyway. In the way I was doing my model, it was taking the OBJ mesh, and then I was applying deformers to it. It looked fine when I loaded it in MeshTool's 3D View (so in that section of the program it does read the deformations from the OBJ file). But, upon converting it for the Sims, it seems to only look at absolute positions of each vertice and ignores the deformer information.

So far, I haven't found a good way to remedy this, but am still working on it. For those who are having similar problems (i.e. It looks like the old model is being shown no matter what you do) be patient and I'll hopefully have something for us in a few hours.

X.
Nearly alive
#123 Old 14th Feb 2005 at 12:51 PM
Okay - I FINALLY figured out what's up - well, sort of, anyway. In the way I was doing my model, it was taking the OBJ mesh, and then I was applying deformers to it. It looked fine when I loaded it in MeshTool's 3D View (so in that section of the program it does read the deformations from the OBJ file). But, upon converting it for the Sims, it seems to only look at absolute positions of each vertice and ignores the deformer information.

So far, I haven't found a good way to remedy this, but am still working on it. For those who are having similar problems (i.e. It looks like the old model is being shown no matter what you do) be patient and I'll hopefully have something for us in a few hours.

X.

What do you mean by deformers ? the 3d view uses exactly the same information as what is put into the gmdc file. (it only uses vertice positions.)

can you post the obj file and gmdc file you are having the problems with.
Lab Assistant
#124 Old 14th Feb 2005 at 1:38 PM
Hi Miche. Am attaching them to this post. I've had a bit further success and am coming to realize that this is a problem with MeshTool more than it is a problem with me (though I suppose that I am making things difficult cuz I'm good like that).

:howdy:

Basically, we're looking at Steps 33-39 in the tutorial. I've attached my files, as follows:
7f56acd9_AnotherTest.package <- The package from the SavedSims folder.
MESH_XenosHoodedHeroineKnee.package <- The mesh from the downloads folder.
HoodedMesh.obj <- My edited OBJ file
Mesh_XenosHoodedHeroineKnee__afbodydressabovekneehooded_tslocator_gmdc.obj <- Original Mesh extracted using SimPE (For reference, really)
originalgmdc*.* <- the 5gd files used to load in MeshTool.

I think these are all you need (and more) to give this a lookthrough. I included a few extras. I'm also not sure which GDMC file is in the currently saved mesh - it's safe to assume that it isn't working, though.

And, before I leave you, let me elaborate on my findings that I just made...

I used the "Create a New Mesh" wizard in MeshTool just to see what was up. I used my "hoodedMesh.obj" This went through its steps and created a new SimPE file. I replaced the GMDC file with this file and WHAM - my modified mesh appeared in the preview. It also appeared in Bodyshop and the game! Of course, there was no animation/joint data, so the neck didn't line up with the head and the sim just had a floating head and a non moving body with in the create-a-sim room in the game.

So, my only conclusion can be that something in the MeshTool is overriding things and not taking my deformers (though every 3D program seems to display them - even the viewer in MeshTool). I've tried various combinations of the checkboxes in MeshTools settings too (though I'm not 100% certain that I've tried every combination, yet).

Anyway, thanks for offering to have a look at this - I really really appreciate the offer.

X.

P.S. Pay no attention to how ugly the mesh is - I hyper exaggerated things so it would be easier to spot whether it was taking the new mesh or not.
Attached files:
File Type: rar  XenosMesh.rar (575.5 KB, 27 downloads) - View custom content
Nearly alive
#125 Old 14th Feb 2005 at 3:16 PM
Xenos,

The problem is one what a number of other people have and I`ve repeatedly pointed out.

There is no name for the mesh/group in your edited obj file.
When a object is being treated as a modified mesh, the name of the object(s) in the obj file must match those in the gmdc file, this is the only way the mesh tool can match up the parts , so it knows what belongs to what.
So for a body mesh the name in the obj file must be "body" so it matches the name in the gmdc file.

The format in a obj file for giving a name to a mesh/group is : g [somename]
So this for a body mesh should be : g body

Your obj file has no name at all , just blank g lines (your file also has two g lines, where only one really is needed, but this shouldn`t of been a problem if it at least had the name "body")

The reason your object is displayed in the 3d view and works when you use the wizard feature is because they don`t take notice of the name, as they aren`t trying to match things up with existing objects.

So to solve your problem you need to name your mesh to "body". either in the 3d program you are using, or you could open up your obj file in notepad and search for lines starting with "g" (you should in your file find two next to each other, delete one of them and add "body" to the other).
Locked thread | Locked by: tiggerypum Reason: Outdated, replacement tutorial posted
Page 5 of 54