Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 19th Aug 2015 at 12:44 AM
[HELP] How to add light to an object? +2 questions
1st So I got a few things to convert and one of them is an illuminated object (christmas lights and include many lamps), except I do not know how to make each of them shine and brighten the environment, can be like those Christmas lights own game (decoration) or real lights, but want to know how to make each of the separate lamps shine

2nd to create a new mesh (decoration) in object workshop, what are the boxes should I select? type in the picture ...

> <

3rd and create a new mesh, with animations, like a sofa, or cot, table ... these things that are "touchable" or have animations / features? what are the boxes that I mark in this case?

> <

Thanks in advance!!!
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 12th Sep 2015 at 12:06 AM
Hey!

1. The 'self illuminating' effect used by the decorative Christmas lights is set in the package's TMXT. Since that might be too complex for a beginner, I suggest you simply clone the Christmas lights for now. You'll have to make sure that your new mesh's bulbs are in their own separate group in Milkshape, and give that group the same name as the original bulbs' one. The self illumination should carry along if you replace the cloned object's mesh & texture properly.
(If you are interested in learning how to edit the TMXTs yourself, here are some useful guides explaining its structure.)

To have the object emit actual light (the kind that impacts its surroundings), you need to clone a lamp. Those will also often have groups that self illuminating, you'll just have to find & replace them same as with the decorative object.

2&3. The boxes shown in your pictures are the right ones in both cases. (However, you can uncheck "change description" as you can edit it in the package itself later.)

The key to correctly making objects that are animated (like a crib or a dresser) is to assign its bones to your new mesh. While it is dedicated to the creation of a particular type of object (a minor pet), the "Step 2: Creating a New Mesh for your Pet" section of this tutorial explains how that is done. The principle is the same for other animated objects.

(This answer was a bit rushed so if I need to expand on anything just ask.)
Former Hamster
retired moderator
#3 Old 12th Sep 2015 at 1:00 AM
I have a garland set here: www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=491853 They're lights and can be turned on/off. The fence garland is the master of the set and is the only one that can be cloned to make a new object. You're more than welcome to clone it to make your mesh. They're base game compatible, so you wouldn't have to worry about downloaders having to have a specific EP/SP to use yours. They're also set up to place without cheats (unless put under a window), will keep buying so the mesh doesn't have to be selected each time and can be shifted if you have AL. (And I *think* I made them placeable with the quarter tile cheat but I'm not 100% on that.) Also, the bulbs have a nice shine to them. SO- again, feel free to clone my fence garland if you'd like!!

My mesh doesn't have a wire "string", the greenery is one subset and the bulbs are the other. But that isn't a problem as all you'd have to do is replace the greenery with your wire "string". (I dunno what else to call it, lol.) If you do decide to clone my mesh and run into any problems, let me know and I'll walk you through the whole process!