Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Alchemist
Original Poster
#1 Old 10th Jun 2016 at 11:36 AM
Default Do you sleep with white noise?
Yeah, white noise.
When trying to sleep yesterday I thought of this question.

I have a small fan near my bed. I have to cool down a little, and the quiet monotone sound helps me falling asleep very well.
It also keeps possible mosquitoes or flies away from me, which is also a great advantage.

So, do you listen to white noise to sleep?

I come in peace
#2 Old 10th Jun 2016 at 11:55 AM
Not intentionally, no. I find sounds distracting when I'm trying to sleep. There's of course some low sounds around from electric devices and the like, but those don't bother me.
Former Hamster
retired moderator
#3 Old 10th Jun 2016 at 12:12 PM
I always have a fan on, not only because of the noise but because I seriously need one.. even in the winter. (For some reason I get hot when I'm sleeping instead of getting cooler like I should. I've been known to wake up and walk outside in shorts and a tank top in the winter to cool down.)
For other noises, anything too loud - loud to me, not necessarily others - bothers me. I can fall asleep with the TV if the volume is so low you'd need captions on to follow what's going on. The radio? Nope. Anything else? Probably not.
Wait! There's one other noise that, well, I wouldn't consider it a white noise but it's something I'm used to and if it's *not* there I notice it - trains. I've lived near train tracks for about 20 years (for the last 15, by tracks that are very busy) and if there aren't any trains it's TOO quiet and I have a hard time falling asleep.
Mad Poster
#4 Old 10th Jun 2016 at 1:30 PM
I don't. Maybe it would help, I haven't tried. If I really really can't sleep, i listen to sleep hypnosis videos, but lately I've been waking up at the end of them.

~Your friendly neighborhood ginge
Theorist
#5 Old 10th Jun 2016 at 2:55 PM
No. Generally, I haven't had insomnia since age 25 so I don't need sleep aids. I usually fall asleep within 5-minutes of going to bed. I can sleep in broad daylight with TV at moderate volume if I'm tired enough. It was a different story age 24 and below. Spent many nights laying awake in my childhood, teens, and early 20s (and entire nights not sleeping at all), but nothing was helpful those times, not even counting sheep as I could do that till dawn broke.

I do feel oddly comforted when laying down and the central heat/AC kicks on (it's just a low whisper) or when it's raining.
Window or under-window HVAC units such as in some hotels I find to be loud and annoying, but usually don't bother me enough to disturb my sleep.

Resident wet blanket.
Field Researcher
#6 Old 10th Jun 2016 at 8:16 PM
I always sleep with a fan- I honestly can't fall asleep if I don't hear some form of white noise. I've slept with one on since I was a toddler (My mom needs a fan, too.) I remember sleeping over at a friend's house and the horror I felt when I realized they didn't need a fan. I laid awake for HOURS until finally their air conditioning kicked on and I could listen to the whir of the vents.
Field Researcher
#7 Old 10th Jun 2016 at 8:24 PM
My husband snores and that actually helps me fall asleep. I'm also a very light sleeper. Dogs barking, tv on, things like that wake me up. They don't keep me from falling asleep, but they wake me up. And I always have to have a fan on too. I get way too hot when I sleep and my husband is a sweaty sleeper.
Scholar
#8 Old 10th Jun 2016 at 8:26 PM
I can't sleep without a fan or something going either. If I don't have that steady noise I can't sleep at all. I also can't sleep if there's too much light in the room, it pretty much has to be pitch black with a fan going in order for me to sleep.
dodgy builder
#9 Old 10th Jun 2016 at 10:20 PM
White noice? Isn't this racisme?

I have windows open and live in the city center. I don' t have to pay for entertainment, but I need a fan if it's warm.
Scholar
#10 Old 10th Jun 2016 at 11:32 PM
I have to have white noise all of the time, not just when I sleep!

♫ Keeping this here until EA gives us a proper playable woodwind/brass instrument ♫
For now, though, my decorative Bassoon conversion for TS4. =)
Scholar
#11 Old 11th Jun 2016 at 4:14 AM
A fan on, but I gots the ~~tinnitus~~.
Scholar
#12 Old 12th Jun 2016 at 3:02 PM
Yeah, I do. The tap in my ensuite is constantly leaking, which helps me fall asleep.
Top Secret Researcher
#13 Old 13th Jun 2016 at 4:31 PM
I sometimes accidentally fall asleep to the sound of my fan heater although If my parents catch me asleep with the heater on I get told off because I'm not allowed to sleep while it's on as my dad thinks it'll get to hot and burn the house down.

I once fell asleep with the heater on at it's highest setting around 11 BIG MISTAKE and as my parents were already asleep they didn't know i had it turned on so as a result I didn't wake up again until 3 am, sweating cobs in my winter pyjamas as my room was like as oven making it not so easy to fall back asleep

Life is like a rollercoaster. It has its ups and downs. But it's your choice to scream or enjoy the ride
Cottage feedback- would be greatly appreciated
Simple Holiday House - great for parties and relaxation
Alchemist
Original Poster
#14 Old 13th Jun 2016 at 6:03 PM
Quote: Originally posted by coolsim22
sweating cobs in my winter pyjamas as my room was like as oven making it not so easy to fall back asleep

I've had this problem in my old room. Not because of a heater or anything but because the room appearently is isolated so well, that the summer heat rising from below stays in the room. 35+ Celcius wasn't abnormal in the summer, and that's when I started to use a fan. I have my brother's old room downstairs for almost 3 years now, but I still need it.

I come in peace
#15 Old 13th Jun 2016 at 7:31 PM
White noise is the sound you get when searching for radio stations, right? If so that makes me cringe so hard. I'm not good with sounds. It doesn't need to be so silent though, there are just certain sounds that I don't like. Hence not having a clock in my room, and having the wardrobe against the wall that is shared with the boiler room. Last summer was so hot and humid, opening windows would have been silly, so we kept the fan on. It was horrible. I could hear a faint noise, but couldn't place where it was coming from.
Field Researcher
#16 Old 13th Jun 2016 at 10:17 PM
I sleep with music going not that loud, still, I don't sleep much anyway

I am MOHAAPlayer on Discord
Instructor
#17 Old 15th Jun 2016 at 6:27 AM
I need total silence to sleep, noise just distracts me and keeps me awake. It makes it really hard to sleep over at my boyfriend's house because he leaves the TV and fan on to go to sleep, so I end up laying there until 3AM listening to Adventure Time over a fan and he's been asleep for 4 hours already.
Alchemist
#18 Old 16th Jun 2016 at 12:55 PM
Yep. Can't sleep if it's too quiet or I end up staying awake over stupid little one-time sounds that trigger my OH MY GOD IS THAT AN AXE MURDERER?! reflex.
Be it the hum of the computer staying on or actually listening to YouTube videos of people talking (Not ASMR or anything, just video game playthroughs or storytelling), I need it to lull my brain into not-thinky-times.

Note: It's never an axe murderer. Shut up, brain.

"The more you know, the sadder you get."~ Stephen Colbert
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." ~ Jon Stewart
Versigtig, ek's nog steeds fokken giftig
Test Subject
#19 Old 26th Jun 2016 at 4:29 PM
the sound of air conditioner anyone?