Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
#51 Old 20th Mar 2006 at 1:49 PM
Sorry ,where can i find Wes H's 2.16 plugin?
Advertisement
Admin of Randomness
retired moderator
#52 Old 21st Mar 2006 at 5:42 AM
You can't anymore, he just removed it. New hair tutorials are being written. Sorry.
Go take a look at the Unimesh Plugin thread.
Lab Assistant
#53 Old 21st Mar 2006 at 4:05 PM
If everyone is having problems with this tuturial, use shar's. I used hers and it worked.

Yay!!! I'm coming back to the sims!!
Admin of Randomness
retired moderator
#54 Old 29th Mar 2006 at 10:48 AM
Shar's tutorial isn't that much different than this one, and it uses *the same* old plugin which is *no longer available*.
Frankly the results with Unimesh are superior, although there are a few extra steps people need to take to get the results.

Between either of these two brief tutorials - the updated body mesh tutorials (that teach how to extract mesh parts and build a new mesh) and the information (several different topics) in the Faq/Infocenter (which includes a screenshot of how to find the right bits in the hair recolor file), people can still learn how to edit hair. Unfortunately we do not yet have a nice neat hand-holding tutorial for hair.

But you do have, at this point with the InfoCenter - MORE information at your disposal about hair files than SanMoo or DJ Mur or myself had when we edited our first hair files, and we managed somehow to get them working.
Instructor
#55 Old 19th May 2006 at 2:43 AM
Default I have a recurring hair mesh problem
Hi everyone. I'm new here. I've been following the tutorials and learning my programs and just working really hard over the last week on my first hair mesh and the same problem keeps showing up. The alterations are there, nothing fancy just a basic longer hair on the long and simple do, but the middle of her face is missing as though she were wearing an invisible lone ranger mask. I've gone over it for several hours a day on my own now for a week and I finally had to come ask for some help. I really appreciate the tutorials, that's how I've been learning, along with trial and error. Any thoughts on where I've gone wrong? thanks.
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#56 Old 19th May 2006 at 2:49 AM Last edited by HystericalParoxysm : 19th May 2006 at 3:04 AM.
obsessisim, I'll bet your result looks a lot like the last pic here, the straight blonde hair?: http://www.modthesims2.com/article.php?t=131417

That's generally due to vertices in your mesh still being assigned to the animation bones: try assigning all of your vertices to "head" using the Unimesh plugin and then use the auto-fix for underweight vertices (just in case - I always do it before exporting). Export your edited mesh and see if that fixes your weird transparency issues.

In order to get the mesh actually looking right in the game, you'll probably have to go back and assign the vertices at the back of the neck with some weight to the "neck" bone. Exactly how they're assigned depends on the age, gender, and the mesh, but generally something like 50% neck-50% head (in that order) is a good place to start. You can take a look at the original mesh you cloned from to get an idea of what the settings might be - sometimes the row of vertices above the back of the neck will have settings like 85% head-15% neck or something, too, which you may or may not need to replicate, but starting with everything assigned 100% to head should tell you whether it's your assignments causing your transparency problems.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Instructor
#57 Old 20th May 2006 at 1:05 AM
Default Success!
HystericalParoxysm: Just wanted to thank you. I followed your advice, I also went into the unimesh bone weight tool and followed Wes' advice leaving weight 100% and bone index head 7. I also left all the vertices selected when I save and exported but I have no idea if that was relevant. Anyway, I went back into bodyshop and there was my mesh, no holes. I just stared at it and said "oh". What a thrill. Anyway thanks ever so much, everyone have a great weekend, I'm off to mesh my little brains out. :D
Locked thread | Locked by: tiggerypum Reason: outdated tutorial
Page 3 of 3