Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 1st May 2011 at 1:55 AM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 3
"Could not find a valid directory to install to!"
Whenever i go to download certain things, i sometimes get just the file without having to extract it
like this:
vs this:

And whenever that happens, i always get the "could not find a valid directory to install to!" error message, like this:

Recently i found out there was a "new way" to download things, so i switched over to that way and followed the instructions on the guide, and everything worked perfectly fine. I didn't delete the helper monkey 'cause i didn't really think about it, but today i read that the HM should be deleted...

So my question being, is the helper monkey the cause of this problem, and will deleting the HM fix it? (or is there another cause...?)
Just wanted to know before i go uninstall it.
(oh, and i'm patched to 6.0.81.009001)

Sorry if my explanation was confusing!
Advertisement
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#2 Old 1st May 2011 at 1:59 AM
You're double-clicking the file, or opening it directly from your browser, so it's trying to open with the Helper Monkey which is failing. Download it to your computer and then copy it into Mods\Packages - you may need to go into your Chrome options (wrench icon, top left, under the X to close the window) and then into "Under the Hood" and tick "Ask where to save each file before downloading" or simply change the folder it saves to so you can more easily find your downloads to copy them over.

You don't -have- to uninstall the Helper Monkey though you certainly can at this point, since it's not necessary or useful to you anymore.