Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 3rd Mar 2008 at 5:00 PM
Default For the first time ever...it actually worked!
In my entire history of sim expansion pack installs i have NEVER EVER EVER been able to back up my downloads and families, install the new pack, and then just transfer files over. But with Free Time, I DID and IT WORKED! It has always taken me AGES to check files - I have 6 gigs of downloads and I always lost stuff (after getting bored checking for so long I'd give up on some folders). But I was actually able to play Free Time the same day after installation! It is a lot of fun and I highly recommend it - with MATY hacks in there of course! ha ha ha. I am very pleased with the content so far. Just thought i would share.
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#2 Old 3rd Mar 2008 at 9:27 PM
That's great! I really am happy for you, because that's totally not what happened for me this time <3! I had around nine gigs of CC, and I had to get rid of just about everything, because something was making it so that my Sims couldn't serve meals or read books.

I'm not too upset about the loss of CC, I've taken it as a time to start fresh <3. But it's really cool that your installation and play time went smoothly! Congratulations!
Lab Assistant
#3 Old 3rd Mar 2008 at 9:31 PM
Yeah I was pretty happy with my install this time. With BV I had to install from scratch as I couldn't get my cc to show up, no matter how many times I enabled and restarted
Test Subject
#4 Old 4th Mar 2008 at 3:46 AM
Quote: Originally posted by chibspan
That's great! I really am happy for you, because that's totally not what happened for me this time <3! I had around nine gigs of CC, and I had to get rid of just about everything, because something was making it so that my Sims couldn't serve meals or read books.

I'm not too upset about the loss of CC, I've taken it as a time to start fresh <3. But it's really cool that your installation and play time went smoothly! Congratulations!

chibspan, I do believe you and I are having the exact same problem. I always back up everything, and never have a problem, but this this, I'm having mass CC issues. I usually take out every hack but the ones I've left in there since 2006 with no problems. Geeting bugs, so I took all my hack out. Still issues, so I took out every custom buy mode objects. I'm still having issues. I'm taking out my custom build mode objects next, and then clothing if I have to.
Lab Assistant
#5 Old 4th Mar 2008 at 11:31 AM
I've never had a single problem when installing expansion packs *shrugs*. I dont back up my game, downloads or anything and yet everything always works fine

Im glad yours worked out too!
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#6 Old 4th Mar 2008 at 11:37 AM
It's always a good idea to back up your Downloads and Neighborhoods folders at least though. If something goes wrong and you need to uninstall the EP (to reinstall, or if you get the bug where it says a previous EP is uninstalled and you need to uninstall/reinstall that EP) then you can be sure your stuff is safe and ready to be put back. There's also a very bad quirk that happens to some people... that it just deletes all your custom files when installing a new EP. Your downloads just POOF disappear as if you never had 'em.

It's great if you have no issues - and a bit of a hassle to do backups as it can take a while if you have a lot of stuff to copy... but the hassle is absolutely worth it when you're suddenly sitting there with a borked game or your files gone.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Theorist
#7 Old 4th Mar 2008 at 11:39 AM
Quote: Originally posted by quackers1226
In my entire history of sim expansion pack installs i have NEVER EVER EVER been able to back up my downloads and families, install the new pack, and then just transfer files over.

Uh, what do you mean by 'transfer the files over'? You're not supposed to transfer your back up files back to the TS2 folder. If you did that, no wonder you never succeed.
Instructor
#8 Old 4th Mar 2008 at 11:44 AM
I you mean transferring your backups out of the ts2 folder and MOVING it back after installation, well it defeats the purpose of backups.
Alchemist
#9 Old 4th Mar 2008 at 12:59 PM
Quote: Originally posted by kvsims2
I've never had a single problem when installing expansion packs *shrugs*. I dont back up my game, downloads or anything and yet everything always works fine

Im glad yours worked out too!

That makes two of us kv. When Uni came out and the whole backing up thing and moving download folder thing was announced, I said bump that. I'll install it and whatever happens happens. I've never had a problem doing it that way.
Forum Resident
#10 Old 4th Mar 2008 at 5:16 PM
Im glad it worked out for you.....I added my CC and after 2 hours playing and building a great house it crashed before i could save.....

I think i fixed it though...i just updated my graphics drivers and refreshed the user files in the sims 2 folder! But i havent tried with my downlaods in yet!
Field Researcher
#11 Old 4th Mar 2008 at 11:44 PM
Quote: Originally posted by APaiger
chibspan, I do believe you and I are having the exact same problem. I always back up everything, and never have a problem, but this this, I'm having mass CC issues. I usually take out every hack but the ones I've left in there since 2006 with no problems. Geeting bugs, so I took all my hack out. Still issues, so I took out every custom buy mode objects. I'm still having issues. I'm taking out my custom build mode objects next, and then clothing if I have to.

I backed everything up before I even went out to buy Free Time. I've got my entire Sims 2 folder zipped and stored away, for if I ever want to get rid of Free Time and go back to how everything was.

I hope your issues get resolved quickly!