Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
#576 Old 1st Sep 2012 at 3:37 PM
Quote: Originally posted by whiterider
Usually, crashing in CAS is caused by missing bone assignments.

I figured that out and did the whole thing again, but another problem appeared ;D
Advertisement
Test Subject
#577 Old 19th Sep 2012 at 4:10 AM
Hey guys, im sorry if this has been awnsered already, but I'd like to know what I'm doing wrong, I'm using a hair ripped form the game vindictus and using for personal use, but it's all black and weird ; 3; Help please? I'm also using an ugly default sim lol.

I'm completely sure i did the extra data correctly, but im not sure if i did the undersides correctly, since after aligning normal, the underside was still black.
thanks for awnsering!
Fus Ro Dah!
retired moderator
#578 Old 21st Sep 2012 at 9:25 PM
Quote: Originally posted by daedaesung
Hey guys, im sorry if this has been awnsered already, but I'd like to know what I'm doing wrong, I'm using a hair ripped form the game vindictus and using for personal use, but it's all black and weird ; 3; Help please? I'm also using an ugly default sim lol.

I'm completely sure i did the extra data correctly, but im not sure if i did the undersides correctly, since after aligning normal, the underside was still black.
thanks for awnsering!

It looks like Extra Data issue to me, but you should check the comments field to make sure if you used "7" in the first row, because any other number can cause distortions.

It also could be the normals, hairs from other games usually have their undersides in the same xyz coordinates as the good sides of the mesh, so using Align Normals will mess up the lighting badly. To fix this, you will need to select all undersides manually face by face and regroup them, only then you can apply Align Normals.

For more Sims 3 stuff by me - visit Ace Creators
My FB Fan page - Elexis's Sims Stuff
My Simblr - ElexisSims
Test Subject
#579 Old 23rd Sep 2012 at 2:00 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Elexis
It looks like Extra Data issue to me, but you should check the comments field to make sure if you used "7" in the first row, because any other number can cause distortions.

It also could be the normals, hairs from other games usually have their undersides in the same xyz coordinates as the good sides of the mesh, so using Align Normals will mess up the lighting badly. To fix this, you will need to select all undersides manually face by face and regroup them, only then you can apply Align Normals.

Thanks for the Reply, It seems to not be an extra data issue, i applied it correctly, and i also used 7 on the first row.

I don't think the hairs in vindictus have undersides... I'm not actually sure, but its already around 1600 polys, I dont think it has undersides o-o
what would happen if I aligned normals to the normal hair mesh? I think i did that, but im not actually sure.
I also put it into CTU, and it came out perfectly fine, but once in-game this would happen DX

Sorry, im so nooby ; 3;
Fus Ro Dah!
retired moderator
#580 Old 23rd Sep 2012 at 7:52 AM
Quote: Originally posted by daedaesung

I don't think the hairs in vindictus have undersides... I'm not actually sure, but its already around 1600 polys, I dont think it has undersides o-o
what would happen if I aligned normals to the normal hair mesh? I think i did that, but im not actually sure.
;

It seems like Vindictus models don't have undersides after all (I had to check).

Align Normals should smooth the way how lighting is applied on your mesh, every vertice has it's normals coordinates (xyz). Did you use it on this mesh before or after adding the undersides?

For more Sims 3 stuff by me - visit Ace Creators
My FB Fan page - Elexis's Sims Stuff
My Simblr - ElexisSims
Test Subject
#581 Old 23rd Sep 2012 at 9:20 AM
Hello! I think my problem is pretty much the same as daedaesung's. But I'm not sure. What can I do?
Screenshots
Test Subject
#582 Old 27th Sep 2012 at 12:53 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Elexis
It seems like Vindictus models don't have undersides after all (I had to check).

Align Normals should smooth the way how lighting is applied on your mesh, every vertice has it's normals coordinates (xyz). Did you use it on this mesh before or after adding the undersides?

I actually applied it to the undersides only, once again and put it to test in-game, it looks exactly the same as it did before.

I really dont understand what I'm doing wrong here, Is it just the hair that is causing problems? UGH this frustrates me ; 3;
Test Subject
#583 Old 11th Nov 2012 at 4:13 PM
Hi! I'm wondering, where could i find a complete idiot's guide for meshing hair? I've haven't done meshes for the sims 2, so i'm completely new for this stuff! However I've wanted to create stuff for the sims 3 for a long time, and i'm looking for good tuts to learn from! Help, anybody?
Test Subject
#584 Old 18th Nov 2012 at 7:56 PM Last edited by DarkWitchVampire : 20th Nov 2012 at 11:40 PM.
Excuse my ignorance but what is LOD1 used for in game? I mean, if it's shown in CAS, gameplay, etc. I'm trying to convert
a very long hair and DirectX Mesh Tool deforms a lot the upper part. LOD0 has 3700 vertex, so could I use it as LOD1 too
in the case that LOD1 appeared a lot in the game? I don't want my sims to go with borked hair
Test Subject
#585 Old 22nd Nov 2012 at 4:47 PM
I have a kinda stupid question! How do I extract hair meshes using S3PE??...
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#586 Old 22nd Nov 2012 at 5:28 PM
Open the file you want to extract the mesh from, find the resources tagged GEOM (you may have to tick the Tags box at the bottom of the window if you haven't used S3PE before), then right-click each of those resources and choose Export -> To file.

LOD0 is used in CAS. LOD0 and LOD1 are used in-game when you're zoomed in. LOD2 is used when you're zoomed out about 20 feet (depending on how strong your graphics card is), and LOD3 when you're very zoomed-out. Using a 3700 poly LOD0 for LOD1 should be ok.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Test Subject
#587 Old 22nd Nov 2012 at 9:04 PM Last edited by AintNothingButAMistake : 22nd Nov 2012 at 9:31 PM.
Ah thanks! I wanna try editing a mesh in milkshape, even though I doubt I'll be successful. :/

Edit: How do I import a skulp?
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#588 Old 22nd Nov 2012 at 9:33 PM
D'you mean a scalp?

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Test Subject
#589 Old 29th Nov 2012 at 2:07 PM
Ok, I'm trying to convert a hair for males from females. It is already convert to TS3 but the mesh is not included. I got the mesh from Peggy for TS2 and now I'm trying to convert it to TS3 for males. When I get to the 'Getting Started in Milkshape' step in the tutorial, I imported the LOD0 file but when it gets in Milkshape it's this messy blob of blue. Am I doing something wrong?

Mad Poster
#590 Old 29th Nov 2012 at 3:07 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Iomai
Ok, I'm trying to convert a hair for males from females. It is already convert to TS3 but the mesh is not included. I got the mesh from Peggy for TS2 and now I'm trying to convert it to TS3 for males. When I get to the 'Getting Started in Milkshape' step in the tutorial, I imported the LOD0 file but when it gets in Milkshape it's this messy blob of blue. Am I doing something wrong?

Go to the Joints tab and turn off the 'Show Skeleton' option - that should get rid of it!
Test Subject
#591 Old 29th Nov 2012 at 6:36 PM
Quote: Originally posted by EsmeraldaF
Go to the Joints tab and turn off the 'Show Skeleton' option - that should get rid of it!

When I do nothing is there except a floating yellow square, is that normal or should the LOD0 file (which is a shaved hair since CTU loaded only that) be there?
Mad Poster
#592 Old 30th Nov 2012 at 12:10 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Iomai
When I do nothing is there except a floating yellow square, is that normal or should the LOD0 file (which is a shaved hair since CTU loaded only that) be there?

Yes, a shaved/bald 'hair' would display as a floating small square or a single polygon or similar (its position will be inside a sim's head). It's a null 'placeholder' mesh that indicates to the game that the sim has no hair. You need to clone a hairdo that has hair.
Test Subject
#593 Old 2nd Dec 2012 at 2:25 PM
Hey there!
The tutorial is great and helped me a lot with getting into making hair for sims. Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!
I wanted to learn with a conversion first and later on make my very own styles, but I got stuck...
I hope that someone can help me

My problem is the UV-mapping, the texture. I know it isn´t described in the tutorial, so I searched for other tutorials, but none of them shows Uv-mapping with hair.

I tried to convert a hairstyle from TS2 to TS3, to start off and getting to know everything.
But:
I don´t understand, how I can force all the textures from TS2 into ONE single file for TS3. And this leads me to the question: how am I supposed to know this later on, when making hair myself?
I mean: how do I find out, where I have to place each strand, so it will be displayed correctly.
Here you see, that if I assign the material/textures from TS2 to every single group, it works out well and the hair looks liek I want it to look.

I tried to regroup all the different layers, but then it messes up the Materials:

I couldn´t find out, how to "regroup" all the textures, so it would be using only one map...

I feel so stupid for not understanding this and I am sorry, if this was already explained, I have gone through the whole thread and searched the internet, but I couldn´t find an answer.
Please help me, I don´t want to annoy anyone, but I tried to figure this out for two days now and it just starts to get frustrating...
Test Subject
#594 Old 18th Dec 2012 at 9:01 AM
Hello I shadowomega137

I am completley confused to this hair tutorial like moving files all over the programs
I am so interested doing sims 3 hair into anime's stuff I have programs like milkshape and 3DS Max, will these programs 3DS Max and milkshape will work for the sims 3?,
like all I am doing is adding stuff that going be anime like cloud strife for example then mesh them all and export it back into milkshape first the object file then into file geom whatever that is called and do other programs stuff that was on the tutorial? thx for the advance plus so new on programs
Test Subject
#595 Old 10th Jan 2013 at 7:44 PM
This'll probably be deleted... but I don't know where to post it... Where do I post about asking for content to be made? I have a certian hair style I want and I don't know how to do it myself. Will someone please help me?
Test Subject
#596 Old 15th Jul 2013 at 1:10 AM
Default problem with milkshape
before i start, my english its not so good, anyway,
i download the milkshape 1.8.5 but when i see in file>import doesn't appear "Q-Mesh Sims 3 GEOM Importer." what i can do?? its something wrong in milkshape??
Mad Poster
#597 Old 15th Jul 2013 at 8:06 PM
You have to download and install the GEOM plugins seperately. They don't come with Milkshape.

My deviantART, MTS Yearbook Origin ID = Alistu
Test Subject
#598 Old 16th Jul 2013 at 3:03 AM
Where i can find that??? (sorry, im beginner) XP
Mad Poster
#599 Old 16th Jul 2013 at 7:32 PM
Here, in the meshing forum> http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=357403

My deviantART, MTS Yearbook Origin ID = Alistu
Test Subject
#600 Old 17th Jul 2013 at 1:56 AM
Thank you so much... =D
Page 24 of 25