Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 23rd Mar 2014 at 11:31 PM
Default Stories That Just Wouldn't Be The Same Without The Soundtrack?
Movies and TV shows having accompanying music is a tradition almost as old as film itself, so much so that we as an audience often forget the role music can play in storytelling, beyond just being pretty background noise. Yet if you think about it, there are some stories that, without the soundtrack to go along with them, wouldn't have anywhere close to the same impact, where the music can be used to tell the story just as well as dialogue or set design can. What kinds of films or shows would you guys say best use music to add to the story itself? (I put this under movies just because it seems to me that movies tend to make better use of this than TV shows do, but feel free to suggest TV stories as well!)

For me, by far the most obvious choice is Howard Shore's score for the Lord of the Rings trilogy. He did a fantastic job using leitmotif to help give more character to the different races, nations, and people of Middle Earth, and especially for Rohan and Gondor, they just wouldn't have been the same without their individual musical themes.
Advertisement
Instructor
#2 Old 25th Mar 2014 at 11:53 AM
My favorite is this song from the movie "Matilda".
It makes me so happy

Me, me, me against them, me against enemies, me against friends, somehow they all seem to become one, a sea full of sharks and they all smell blood.
Field Researcher
#3 Old 20th Jun 2014 at 5:46 PM
kung fu panda

and the 2006 movie paprika. that movie is amazing - its what inception was based on but ill warn you its got some disturbing scenes you shouldn't watch if your under 18.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqg3Sw3s9Wg
Field Researcher
#4 Old 20th Jun 2014 at 5:47 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Gabrymato
My favorite is this song from the movie "Matilda".

i love matilda - i cry at the end of that movie - it makes me feel so happy that she got to be with miss honey!!!!
Lab Assistant
#5 Old 24th Jun 2014 at 9:17 AM
Probably Fullmetal Alchemist for me.

Though there are plenty of other examples that leap to mind. Just off the top of my head: Twin Peaks, Sherlock, Arrested Development ...

One of the bonus features for the movie Seven featured a pivotal scene but before the music got added in. Without the music, the scene was nowhere near as suspenseful. When my sister and I saw it, we started to think that the actors' abilities were overrated

Back to Sims after a 2-year hiatus!

Blogs, to be resurrected once I get a new graphics card load TS3 on my new computer:
STEALIE NICKS Klepto King Challenge (updated 9/16/14)
THE HOUSE OF MOODICI (the Altos' Renaissance in Riverview)

my EA forums page
Theorist
#6 Old 24th Jun 2014 at 1:57 PM
The original Conan the Barbarian soundtrack by Basil Poledouris, turning a terrible movie into an amazing one since 1982. Also, the Wizard of Oz - Harold Arlen and Edgar Harburg (who was among the artists blacklisted by Hollywood during the 1950s because of alleged "Communist sympathies.")
Scholar
#7 Old 20th Jul 2014 at 3:24 PM
Little Shop of Horrors!
Mad Poster
#8 Old 20th Jul 2014 at 5:06 PM
Most epic and romantic movies would not have enough emotional expression without the music. Think of Star Trek, Star Wars, Lord of The Rings, How to Train Your Dragon without the music. For all that it's hated, the Twilight series has some beautiful music that tells the story for it. Music is vital to story telling.

There was a movie that I wanted to see because the plot sounded cute, but five minutes into it, I couldn't watch it because of the music.

Addicted to The Sims since 2000.
Instructor
#9 Old 21st Jul 2014 at 1:38 PM
Quote: Originally posted by VerDeTerre
Most epic and romantic movies would not have enough emotional expression without the music. Think of Star Trek, Star Wars, Lord of The Rings, How to Train Your Dragon without the music. For all that it's hated, the Twilight series has some beautiful music that tells the story for it. Music is vital to story telling.

There was a movie that I wanted to see because the plot sounded cute, but five minutes into it, I couldn't watch it because of the music.

I totally agree about Twilight. One can like the story or not, but in my opinion the aerial views and nature shots of the northern Pacific Coast, combined with the amazing soundtrack, make the movie really worth seeing.
I'm talking about the first one though. The other four are just "meh".

Me, me, me against them, me against enemies, me against friends, somehow they all seem to become one, a sea full of sharks and they all smell blood.
Mad Poster
#10 Old 21st Jul 2014 at 10:54 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Gabrymato
I totally agree about Twilight. One can like the story or not, but in my opinion the aerial views and nature shots of the northern Pacific Coast, combined with the amazing soundtrack, make the movie really worth seeing.
I'm talking about the first one though. The other four are just "meh".
So nice to hear from someone who can appreciate the beauty in the films and overlook the, at times, thin plot. But only the first? Really? I loved the filming and the music throughout and especially the last one. There's that little tune that Edward plays on the piano, the one that he teaches his daughter, that haunts. I think the actor may have written it. They used some of his work in the films.

Addicted to The Sims since 2000.
Lab Assistant
#11 Old 1st Sep 2014 at 9:24 AM
The Wicker Man (1973). Good Halloween watching (perhaps not exactly family watching).
Though if you haven't seen it and plan to watch it, don't look up anything about it. Just watch it. There are loads of spoilers out there.

Back to Sims after a 2-year hiatus!

Blogs, to be resurrected once I get a new graphics card load TS3 on my new computer:
STEALIE NICKS Klepto King Challenge (updated 9/16/14)
THE HOUSE OF MOODICI (the Altos' Renaissance in Riverview)

my EA forums page
Inventor
#12 Old 1st Sep 2014 at 10:45 AM
Jaws.

Quote:
Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited to all we now know and understand, while imagination embraces the entire world, and all there ever will be to know and understand.

- poof gone -