Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 1st Apr 2009 at 3:40 PM
Default ceilings - do YOU use them?
I'm just curious because at first when I got AL, I loved the ceilings feature. Now, although I don't hate it or anything, I find it really easy to forget about and I don't use it that much. Add to that the fact that I don't often play from views where you'd even see the ceiling, and this feature has kind of fallen by the wayside for me.

So now that the novelty's worn off, how many of you actually use the ceilings feature?

What about any other new features of the game that you were really psyched on when they came out, but now they don't turn your crank anymore? XD
Advertisement
#2 Old 1st Apr 2009 at 3:42 PM
I only ever use them when taking pictures
Lab Assistant
#3 Old 1st Apr 2009 at 3:53 PM
They do get in the way during regular gameplay, but I definitely use them when I'm taking pictures and when I'm building I keep it on. I do really like the feature.

Stuff I was psyched about before... the secret bookshelf. Until I played an apartment with it once and found out that your Sim cannot autonomously use the bookcase. So once they're in their secret room, they don't get out until you make them. :p
Forum Resident
#4 Old 1st Apr 2009 at 3:56 PM
I also only really use them when I take pictures. I find the little line that goes around the edge of the ceiling really annoying at times.

The entire expansion of Bon Voyage had me pretty excited, but now I never have my sims take vacations. I just keep it installed for everything else really =)

Another thing is Plant Sims. I would totally still dig them if it wasn't for that god awful hair they are forced to have!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#5 Old 1st Apr 2009 at 3:59 PM
I know what you mean about vacations! I don't dislike them but I never seem to do them - what I try to do now is always send Sims on honeymoons when they get married - that way I work at least a few more vacations in! Although weddings aren't really an every day thing in my game either hehe.
Scholar
#6 Old 1st Apr 2009 at 4:08 PM
Quote: Originally posted by blackdaisies
Stuff I was psyched about before... the secret bookshelf. Until I played an apartment with it once and found out that your Sim cannot autonomously use the bookcase. So once they're in their secret room, they don't get out until you make them. :p

If you're not hack-adverse: Auto-Secret Door by MATY. Non-playables will still not be able to use the door autonomously, something I discovered after trying to make a 'hidden' room in dorms.

EDIT: As for what I quickly lost interest in...pets. It's been a while since I played The Sims: Unleashed, but I do recall having more fun with that as opposed to Pets. Perhaps it's because I'm older :P
Lab Assistant
#7 Old 1st Apr 2009 at 4:12 PM
I only notice em when I start to take a screenshot. So, really only the houses I upload or give to people have different ceilings. All the ones that are just for me to use have the default.
Instructor
#8 Old 1st Apr 2009 at 8:09 PM
Sometimes, when I play with the walls up. Mostly for pictures though =)
Alchemist
#9 Old 1st Apr 2009 at 8:23 PM
Yes, I love ceilings, I couldn't play without them anymore. They make houses feel so much more realistic.

If wishes were fishes we'd all cast nets
Test Subject
#10 Old 1st Apr 2009 at 8:36 PM
I've never been able to use them. I haven't tried too hard but whenever I have they just never work for me. I've never been able to place a single ceiling tile. I would more than likely only use it for pics if I could though.
Inventor
#11 Old 1st Apr 2009 at 9:00 PM
Always!

They don't bother me/get in the way in the slightest. I usually play zoomed in pretty close and at eye level.

The Grumpy Old Gamer's Blog

~Life is like a box of chocolates, just when you're enjoying it, you choke on it.
#12 Old 1st Apr 2009 at 9:09 PM
I always use them, they are a great feature and the houses look much better with them.
Lab Assistant
#13 Old 2nd Apr 2009 at 5:09 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Katya Stevens
If you're not hack-adverse: Auto-Secret Door by MATY. Non-playables will still not be able to use the door autonomously, something I discovered after trying to make a 'hidden' room in dorms.

I'm not a fan of hacking my game. I know it'll probably make my life a lot easier but I'm stubborn that way.
Test Subject
#14 Old 3rd Apr 2009 at 8:49 AM
I can't have houses without ceilings. I hate it when I can see the sky from the ground floor :-)

Currently playing HP's Uber Megahood - check out http://simstate.wordpress.com
Mad Poster
#15 Old 3rd Apr 2009 at 9:13 AM
Quote: Originally posted by ktbcca
I also only really use them when I take pictures. I find the little line that goes around the edge of the ceiling really annoying at times.

The same reason I keep them off, and only have them when taking pics.

Quote: Originally posted by ktbcca
Another thing is Plant Sims. I would totally still dig them if it wasn't for that god awful hair they are forced to have!

It's not compulsary any more, but I still hate plantsims.
Forum Resident
#16 Old 3rd Apr 2009 at 9:25 AM
Quote:
It's not compulsary any more, but I still hate plantsims.

Oh thank you for the link! I don't quite understand exactly what it does, but I may have to test it out =)
Mad Poster
#17 Old 3rd Apr 2009 at 9:48 AM
I always use the ceilings, even though I only bother to paint them in rooms that look weird with white ceilings like barns and such. I think the houses look much nicer now, I no longer see the sky through the roof, and I love the doll-house look that the houses have when the ceilings are on.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#18 Old 3rd Apr 2009 at 3:33 PM
I do like ceilings but only for pics... I never play from an angle where I'd see them anyways, but I love taking pictures from a Sim's eye view so that's when they go on! I just kind of forget about them otherwise, until it's time for a picture and I'm like, "Oh yeah, ceilings!"
Lab Assistant
#19 Old 4th Apr 2009 at 4:35 PM
Until yesterday, I'd never bothered with ceilings. I guess they just didn't seem worth the effort until I started taking pictures...something I wasn't doing until I decided I wanted to join in the Real Estate and WZMA challenges. Now not only am I using them, I've also added 95 more mb of cc (AFTER compression!), the massive set of angled/shiftable OMSPs, and am trying to learn about poses. Sheesh...you people are a bad influence!

As for the other annoyances...the bookshelf has actually put me in mind of an Anne Frank lot. I tried it once in Sims 1, but it just didn't work right. The new AL bookshelf might make it possible.

I totally agree about the plant hair, though! I want my plantsims to be able to have ANY hair. Of course, it would probably be more productive of me to figure out a way to do it, rather than just complain about it, but I've not really ever created anything. My biggest accomplishments thus far are editing an age hack to my liking and making a "zombie" recolor of a Celebrations wedding dress.
Test Subject
#20 Old 13th Apr 2009 at 11:11 PM
Like most people I only use the ceiling during photos but other than that I don't notice it. Sometimes I forget it is still on when I play :D
Top Secret Researcher
#21 Old 13th Apr 2009 at 11:14 PM
well if you have a two story home, when you set the upper floor with tiles/carpet/wood the bottom floor automaticly sets a ceiling, so usually thats only what i have, regulary i forget to do it, unless im doing photos for somthing which i very rare.

Previously known as 'simcharley1990'
Lab Assistant
#22 Old 18th Apr 2009 at 10:28 AM
I would like to use the ceilings but I can't get them to show up in photos. I've been in contests and used photos with ceilings but they just don't show up. I'm probably not using the correct angle or something. I never took photos before my first contest this year, so I'm really good at photos yet anyway. OOPS, I think I'm rambling on a bit here... sorry everyone.:rant:

I'm going there...but I like it here wherever it is
#23 Old 27th Apr 2009 at 2:46 AM
Yes I use them. Just finally figured out how, after reading the gaming tip section for AL *facepalm* So far I ♥ em
Lab Assistant
#24 Old 27th Apr 2009 at 10:28 PM
I always play with no ceiling and no walls, unless I'm taking a picture and then I do walls up and ceiling on.
Field Researcher
#25 Old 6th May 2009 at 11:29 AM
I usually play without ceiling but I use it all the time when I'm taking pictures. I really love this feature.

LJ
Page 1 of 2