Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
#51 Old 25th Jul 2008 at 11:36 AM
I usually don't like this kind of film, and to be honest, if it wasn't for Heath Ledger and his fantastic perfermance as the joker, it wouldn't have been half as good.

my opinion.
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#52 Old 25th Jul 2008 at 11:38 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Neveah
I usually don't like this kind of film, and to be honest, if it wasn't for Heath Ledger and his fantastic perfermance as the joker, it wouldn't have been half as good.

my opinion.

I completely agree. Heath definitely set a new high standard for 'comic book' villains. It's funny. When you watch this movie, you almost forget it's based off a comic book b/c of the darkness of the film.
Field Researcher
#53 Old 26th Jul 2008 at 2:00 PM
I'm seeing it tonight now finally! Can't wait!
#54 Old 29th Jul 2008 at 10:02 PM
I can't wait to finally see it..I'm so behind! haha
Original Poster
#55 Old 30th Jul 2008 at 10:51 AM
I was screen checking last night and one part of the film really made me jump.

It's when the judge looks up! Arrgghh lol.
Top Secret Researcher
#56 Old 30th Jul 2008 at 11:10 AM
Gosh, THAT WAS A GREAT MOVIE.

And a very good last role for Heath Ledger. I love his laugh. It actually scared me out of my wits.
Field Researcher
#57 Old 31st Jul 2008 at 12:32 PM
Heath Ledger was amazing as Joker, but I was actually more drawn to Aaron Eckheart's Two-Face; I love the fact The Joker melded him into this new villian and I wanted more of Two-Face then we saw.

I also cried when Gordon got shot - he's one of my favourite characters of the comic; he's as much as a hero as Batman but suffers far much more for it then Batman I think (especially with the horror he has to go through in 'The Killing Joke').
#58 Old 31st Jul 2008 at 12:41 PM
Have to admit, I didn't enjoy Batman Begins because I thought it was just too cheesy. Katie Holmes ruined that movie for me. But I loved, loved, LOVED The Dark Knight! What an awesome movie! Superb acting by the entire cast and especially Heath Ledger. He was just tops in this movie!
Field Researcher
#59 Old 31st Jul 2008 at 12:49 PM
A part of me almost wished they had brought back Katie Holmes just so I could see get get blown up. :nyah:
Field Researcher
#60 Old 31st Jul 2008 at 12:51 PM
Evil, humblebumble
#61 Old 31st Jul 2008 at 1:18 PM
I saw it lastnight and OMG! it was a great movie. Heath Ledger was excellent as the joker and in my opinion did the best performance out of the whole cast. I also loved seeing Edward Woodward in it too as i've always liked him (The Equalizer rocks!!! lol)

And how much do I want the batmobile!!??!! especially the bike!!!
Field Researcher
#62 Old 1st Aug 2008 at 9:32 PM
i loved the film! I really tried to look at ledger's performance from an objective viewpoint, not from the 'oh it's his last full performance' but from the 'ok, lets see what he can do with it'....and WOW! i mean, i wouldn't be suprised if he got nominiated for an academy, it was just so errie, and evil from a pschological perspective not from a corny comic book one you know?

maggie gyllenhaul (or however you spell her name) was amazing too i think she tapped into the character more, gave her depth; i agree katie holmes pretty much ruined the first film, but that's kind of what she does isn't it?

christian bale was good too, but honestly there's not much you can say about a performance that was hidden by a huge bat mask for 95% of the film, i love him as bruce wayne...but i think i need to see a bit more of him to really praise him for giving a new dimension to the character as the other actors did...
Alchemist
#63 Old 1st Aug 2008 at 9:52 PM
Quote: Originally posted by staciew1
maggie gyllenhaul (or however you spell her name) was amazing too i think she tapped into the character more, gave her depth; i agree katie holmes pretty much ruined the first film, but that's kind of what she does isn't it?

My problem with her is that she kept being referred to as beautiful, when... yuck! She wasn't near beauty! IMO she looks pretty awful.
How did KH ruin the first film? Just curious. I thought she was fine. Slightly boring, but fine.
Field Researcher
#64 Old 4th Aug 2008 at 5:15 PM
Heh, bring on the media's 'Curse of the Dark Knight' theory; Morgan Freeman has been involved in a car crash and is in a serious condition: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7541667.stm
Field Researcher
#65 Old 4th Aug 2008 at 5:25 PM
Katie Holmes had fuck-all chemistry with Bale. That's obviously not wholly her fault, but it sure is easier to replace Rachel than Batman. She was also annoying and judgmental in a Joey Potter kind of way. There is nothing likeable about her character, and half of it was writing and half was her acting.

I agree that Gyllenhaal isn't exactly a knockout, but she has a sexy way about her (and her voice! Yum) that makes up for it.
#66 Old 5th Aug 2008 at 12:56 PM
I liked the movie it was filled with action and had a great storyline. Not what you expect from a film based on a comic book but I think that’s a good thing. Heath was amazing as the Joker but he didn’t scare me or creep me out that much. The Jokers actually one of my favorite characters in the batman series. This joker was darker than the one in the original Batman movie and the Joker’s makeup took me a bit of time to get used to. I think Christian Bale did a great job as batman but in no way was he better than Heath. Overall, I think it was one of the best movies I've seen in a long time.
#67 Old 5th Aug 2008 at 4:18 PM
I loved the movie and I usually don't like action films.
Heath Ledger was amazing of course..I loved his Joker!
I like Christian Bale...I liked Maggie but I agree, the way they kept calling her beautiful was just weird.
Alchemist
#68 Old 5th Aug 2008 at 7:56 PM
Yeah, when someone would say how pretty she was me and my boyfriend would look at each other and shrug. lol
#69 Old 7th Aug 2008 at 7:22 AM
I really don't understand why everyone keeps saying Maggie's not attractive... She's really far from ugly.

My two cents on the movie?
I didn't like Batman Begins - although I enjoyed it more than the other Batman movies. Batman Begins had gaping plotholes and really wasn't explained very well. Through most of it I wasn't exactly sure what was going on throughout and didn't until I read about it later, maybe I'm just stupid but I didn't get a lot of it.
I sort of felt that The Dark Knight was the same. Things that were unimportant were explain in very clear detail whereas events that I thought were a major part of the storyline were completely glossed over.
I want to cite some examples but don't want to spoil it for anyone who might read this.
In any case, the only thing that got me through the whole movie was of course Heath Ledger. He pretty much completely out shined all of his co-stars. I'd always liked him as an actor and to see him do something completely different just really makes me sad that he's not around to do anything more.
#70 Old 7th Aug 2008 at 8:29 AM
I loved the movie.
Seen it 3 times now. With my friends. With my Sister. Then with my whole family.
However I love how wthe Curse of DC/Dark Knight is back with Morgan Freeman's accident and that the whole of England (and possibly the US? I don't know) is going crazy over the fact is was rated a 12A and parents are taking their 7yr olds to see it.
Wasn't the life changing experience some people were making it out to be but it was awesome.
*rant over*
#71 Old 7th Aug 2008 at 11:56 AM
I saw the movie... I thought it was brilliant... I didn't find him disturbing, if anything I found him extremely funny with some mildly creepy moments.... I can't explain why, but I found Jack Nicholson creepier -- but Ledger's Joker was more likeable... the nurses outfit cracked us up so bad... with the wig and everything.

What I DID find creepy about the joker was the way he kept licking his mouth and sucking spit... it made me want to cover my eyes each time he did it.

Shame about Harvey's face... I thought he was good looking up until that whole acid incident. and I still can't quite believe what happened to Rachel... I kept expecting her to come back! Maggie Gyllenhall was much more likeable than Katie Holmes...

My gripes? Christian Bale. He was OK as Bruce Wayne ... but as soon as he became Batman his lisp became unbearable and it was like he didnt open his mouth to speak. His Batman voice was even more put on than in Batman begins... To the point I found it irritating... I hope they get a new Batman for the next movie, I really can't stand Christian Bale.... but thankfully it didnt effect how I felt about the movie
Field Researcher
#72 Old 7th Aug 2008 at 6:50 PM
Yeah, I love Christian Bale... but the whole batman voice, it about made me crack up laughing everytime he did it in the movie! I understand he needed to change his voice so people wouldn't 'guess' he was Bruce Wayne, but come on!!!!!
Alchemist
#73 Old 7th Aug 2008 at 7:55 PM
I think they should have picked a different batman from the beginning. I don't think he's all that strong of an actor in this role. Sorry, I just don't find him spectacular, not even in a subtle "bones of the whole story" kinda way. BUT, I don't really like when characters suddenly change shape and we're expected to pretend it's the same person. So I'd be pleased if they stuck with him. Definitely he should tone down that voice though. It's pretty laughable at times.
Test Subject
#74 Old 7th Aug 2008 at 8:32 PM
Very entertaining movie. I'd have to agree with everyone praising Heath Ledger because he really was the best part of the movie.

And all the men in the theatre would snicker every time Maggie Gyllenhaal was referred to as "beautiful"...
Lab Assistant
#75 Old 23rd Aug 2008 at 2:36 PM
I finally saw the film at the London IMAX and it was well worth the wait.

I was very lukewarm about Batman Begins. I wasn't 100% sold with Michael Caine as Alfred, Katie Holmes doesn't do much for me anyway, Gary Oldman just seemed a bit embarrassed by the whole thing and neither Liam Neeson nor Cillian Murphy were given adequate time to be the real villian or threat in the movie.

The Dark Knight dealt with all that. Gordon was a much more rounded character which Oldman seemed much more comfortable playing, I preferred the new rapport between Alfred and Bruce - that of close friends, rather than Master and Doting Servant. Maggie Gyllenhall far succeeded Katie Holmes in her role, although, as humblebumble said....seeing her blown up would have been satisfying!

Heath Ledger undoutedly stole the whole film though. Before the Dark Knight, Ceasar Romero was my favourite Joker. Romero's joker was camp in a very sinister way. Everything to him was a pun and a joke, and he revelled in disorder and madness I did not rate Jack Nicholson's performace at all. He didn't play The Joker, he took The Joker and made it Jack Nicholson. Ledger's joker

The film was much more threateningly dark than Burton's vision of Batman. At times, it was truley uncomfortable to watch - a deformed mind in a deformed body. I also like the way that they stayed truer to the comics, with Batman and the authorities genuinely frustrated by the Joker's motives, and Batman consumed with trying to discover why the Joker does what he does.

I have a theory about the next film

There is a scene early on in the film wher Lucius is showing Bruce his new Batman armour. Bruce asks Lucius:

Quote:
How will this hold up against a dog attack?

To which Lucias replies:

Quote:
Well, it'll work well against cats!

Could this be seen as a hint that the villian of the next film will be Catwoman?
Page 3 of 4