Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Alchemist
Original Poster
#1 Old 12th Jul 2014 at 2:31 AM
Default Sims2 building tools used for actual floor plan?
My brother is buying a vacant lot to build a home on. He described what he wants in a house and I built it in Sims2. He actually likes the house and asked me how much one grid of Sims2 space would be in actual square footage. I told him that if anyone knew, it would be someone here. Any idea? Thanks so much!

[I]Pet loving children will love my new book, "My Talking Dachshund", available at Amazon.com[/I
]
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 12th Jul 2014 at 3:34 AM
Whenever I've tried to create something from real life into Sims building, I've realized that Sims squares exist in a reality of their own. It's not proportional, I don't believe, to anything we recognize. A refrigerator is one square, so is a small table, each counter, a sink, a toilet, a dish washer. A twin bed is one x three squares. That doesn't match reality. The squares in a bed don't match the squares in kitchen appliances, so it doesn't quite work. I guess you could come up with a rough thought using a dish washer or a counter. In that case, one square would have the dimentions of about 20 to 24 inches x 20 to 24 inches. But if you're talking about a single bed, a mattress alone is typically 39" x 72 to 80", so one square would be 39x39 in the Sim's world.

I wish it were easier.

Addicted to The Sims since 2000.
Scholar
#3 Old 12th Jul 2014 at 3:35 AM
One square is generally considered 3x3 feet (or 1m x 1m ) in real life. It can actually vary from 2 1/2 feet to 3 feet if you try to apply real-life dimensions to sim objects.

Sarcasm is a body's natural defense against stupid.
Alchemist
Original Poster
#4 Old 12th Jul 2014 at 5:11 AM
Thank you both so much for the feedback!

[I]Pet loving children will love my new book, "My Talking Dachshund", available at Amazon.com[/I
]
Theorist
#5 Old 12th Jul 2014 at 7:00 PM
You'd be a lot better off just sketching out the basic floor plan flow and the facade, then taking it to an architect who's probably used to getting a lot weirder requests, and who will ignore the weird vagaries of the game for something absolutely reasonable in real life.
Mad Poster
#6 Old 12th Jul 2014 at 7:34 PM
triciamanly, any plans to upload your new creation?

Addicted to The Sims since 2000.
*shrugs*
retired moderator
#7 Old 12th Jul 2014 at 7:44 PM
I would definitely second getting an architect or some other such professional person to review the house plans and design/build according to their expertise, even if that means deviating from the build plans from the game. Remember, just because you can build something in-game doesn't necessarily mean it will translate well into the real-world. This goes beyond simply dimensions...it applies to entire realm of physics. Weight-bearing walls, what a particular floor can support, proper drainage off the roof, and so forth are typically not a major issue in-game. They are very much so in real life.

I don't mind if you call me "MSD" or something for short.
Tumblr
Perhaps someday I'll have leisure time back...
Mad Poster
#8 Old 13th Jul 2014 at 2:38 AM
To add on to MSD's comments, plumbing in particular can be a lot trickier IRL than you'd ever expect from the game. Think about the layout of houses you've lived in vs. Sim houses you've built- for your Sims, chances are you just plop bathrooms down where you have space leftover that's too small for anything else- for a real-world house though, you're going to want the plumbing as concentrated as you can, if for no other reason than that pipes are expensive and a pain in the neck to deal with!

Welcome to the Dark Side...
We lied about having cookies.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#9 Old 13th Jul 2014 at 2:43 AM
Plumbing works best when it's on the same side or make sense for how far the pipes need to go. Also real houses usually come with a laundry area. My inlaws wanted to add a toilet to an inside bathroom but even though it seemed like a great idea, due to where the pipes were from the other toilet it would have cost them an arm and a leg.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~