Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Scholar
Original Poster
#1 Old 26th Jun 2014 at 1:54 PM
Default Do you ever 'hide' from facebook?
Hello!

Recently I've been 'hiding' from facebook. I don't think I've logged in for over 2 weeks. I don't know if it's due to my depression, but I have a love/hate relationship with facebook. I love it for keeping up to date with Blood on the Dance Floor and my fellow SGTC, and I have a couple of games that I enjoy. I often find funny pictures on there.

But I get sick of the amount of time it takes just to scroll through my newsfeed and stay up to date with everyone's happenings. It feels like an obligation, especially when people say things like "How could you not have known about ____________, I put it on facebook!"

Also some people's posts get on my nerves. I don't want to hear about your baby's nappy disasters thankyou! One of my friends kept posting about her boyfriend's bodily functions, so I unfollowed her for a while. I also don't like the feeling I get from facebook that I'm inadequate.

Does anyone else feel like this sometimes, or is it just me? Do you keep up to date with it all the time, or do you take breaks? What gets on your nerves about facebook?
Advertisement
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#2 Old 26th Jun 2014 at 2:05 PM
I'm not on it and refuse to join. *grabs walking stick and yells at em to get the heck off my lawn*

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Inventor
#3 Old 26th Jun 2014 at 2:10 PM
I deleted it a few months ago after reading a "lol im soo late for work"-post.
Former Hamster
retired moderator
#4 Old 26th Jun 2014 at 2:19 PM
Facebook. I loathe Facebook. But- there are people I'd never hear from if I wasn't on it, so I do have an account. There's a whopping 19 friends in my list and almost all of them are family. A few of them are friends of my kids who sent me a friend request. Those I accepted because it comes in handy sometimes, lol. (We don't chat or post on each others walls, but it's nice to know I can shoot a quick "Hey, tell _____ it's time to come home" if I need to.) The remaining few are other simmers that I've known for years.
Mad Poster
#5 Old 26th Jun 2014 at 2:46 PM
Facebook is a bit overwhelming at times when it only posts news about the people you've last interacted with. But there's a lot I love about it. I love it for it's ability to share photos and connect with the groups of people I'm involved with in various parts of this country and across the pond (as well as Asia). I love that I can keep informed of upcoming events that interest me and that I can follow all the latest at the company where my son works. I love that I can group message lots of different types of people in my life (my family, my boyfriend's family, coworkers who are friends, old neighbors, and the dance/folk community) and set up get-togethers. I love that FB reminds me who has a birthday each day. I love that I can keep up with people I care about and with others that I would probably loose touch with if it weren't for FB. I love getting a closer look into some of my acquaintance's minds, finding that I appreciate what they concern themselves with or their sense of humor. I love that when I lost people who mattered, I had a means of contacting other people who shared my grief and that we could express it to each other and make sense of our loss. I love that my friends post interesting and informative articles and fun stuff as well. I've gotten some professional reading as well as other interesting material from FB.

.So that I don't miss important posts from family, I've added them to my "close friend" list and get notices on one side of the page so I can keep up with them. Even so, I feel that I often miss news from friends that aren't my closest, but whom I friended in the first place because I want to know what they're up to and keep in touch. I don't like how the permissions and privacy rules change without notice. I'm not enjoying the ads, but I guess that's the price for enjoying the service.

I've been really lucky with my friends and have had few instances that have led to loss of friendship. One was a coworker whose politics were opposite mine. While he isn't my only friend like that, he challenged me in a thread and I stood up to him and he decided to unfriend me on FB. No biggie. In real time/life we still chat, share personal stories, and even hugged each other when we said goodbye for the summer. I've blocked a couple of younger people so that I wouldn't see their inappropriate posts and have blocked an ex for the same reason. One friend I lost, but I felt dubious about him to begin with and he didn't like it when I warned him about his posts and removed them from my threads. He decided to unfriend me and if he wants it to be that way, I can live with it. I've also made friends with people on FB because we've discovered that we had friends in common and many similar interests and the same outlook.

Overall, I try not to let FB take over my life. I log on a couple times a day and spend between 5 to 10 minutes, unless someone has posted a really interesting article.

Addicted to The Sims since 2000.
Mad Poster
#6 Old 26th Jun 2014 at 3:38 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 28th Jun 2014 at 8:20 PM.
I use facebook to keep tabs on my family's doings (a lot of them are family members I hardly ever see), and my friends (but they're not very active on FB). I also play a few games and have a few pages that occasionally pops up with an interesting article. I usually check everyday, mostly because of a game I really like to play, and to keep track of birthdays.

I don't have any friends on FB that I've never met. It's mostly relatives, friends, and some people from school. I hardly post there, and I'm also careful with posting pictures (only pics of myself, for my profile). The updates that pops up usually doesn't take more than 5 minutes to read through, unless I get into a discussion with someone, or find something interesting to read.

I also don't press 'like' on a lot of things. It's my way of cleaning up my newsfeed. If you click 'like', you get popups every time someome else likes it or comments it, and every single page insists on bombarding you with new info every single day.
Instructor
#7 Old 26th Jun 2014 at 3:46 PM
Most of the time I forget I have Facebook. I log on every once in a while, though I don't really spend much time on it. Usually the only time I do log on is if someone comments on one of my pictures (since I have an instagram, and that crossposts there...) or if I find something to post on my feed that I wouldn't normally put elsewhere. Most of my FB friends are former coworkers or people I've met at conventions and truth be told if I'm going to spend my time scrolling through a news feed I'd rather spend that time trying to catch up on my Tumblr dash. Since most of it I actually care about.

my tumblr - sim pics and downloads
my dreamwidth - ts2 downloads
linkdecrypter - bypass adfly and other harmful pay per click download link hiders
Scholar
#8 Old 26th Jun 2014 at 4:08 PM
I tried facebook for about a week, and found it incredibly boring (and I mean that in the most contemptuous of ways).
I deleted my account, and have never been tempted to return...

I'd rather read blogs...written by folks with a command of their language.
Or look at some spectacular photos and drawings at Flickr or Deviant Art.
And I'd rather get my news independently...not because someone I know "liked" it.

If it's that important, they can email me or write an actual article or blog entry.
Scholar
#9 Old 26th Jun 2014 at 4:31 PM
No one on my facebook talks to me. Forever alone.
Lab Assistant
#10 Old 26th Jun 2014 at 7:54 PM Last edited by simperatrix : 27th Jun 2014 at 5:33 AM.
If you can identify which users are putting up the stuff you don't want to see, there are settings that allow you to ignore their posts. Hide their posts or unfollow them. I use this all the time and thus have only the posts from the handful of people whose output I'd want to see.

No one has said the "How could you not have known about the X, I put it on Facebook!" to me, but if someone did, I would just unfriend them in real life. I'd just think, Are you effin' joking?! Not worth my time.

I was a Facebook holdout until I got an account because of a promise to a colleague. I still am very selective about what I post.

Back to Sims after a 2-year hiatus!

Blogs, to be resurrected once I get a new graphics card load TS3 on my new computer:
STEALIE NICKS Klepto King Challenge (updated 9/16/14)
THE HOUSE OF MOODICI (the Altos' Renaissance in Riverview)

my EA forums page
Mad Poster
#11 Old 26th Jun 2014 at 8:37 PM
I've got a few family members who put up everything they do, and I really mean everything, like whatever they have for dinner (I can deal with pics of luxurious/deliciious-looking cakes, desserts, dinners and the like, but when they put up pics of things like sausages and spaghetti, or tacos, or anything such, it's just too much), and they put up pics of their kids nearly every day. Too bad it looks bad to unfriend close family (and I mean close - they're mom's neighbors). Another not-so-close family member always insists on putting up pics of their dogs every day. Not everyone in my family is as active, though. Without those two, my facebook wall would be empty most days...

As for people only posting important things on facebook, I don't like it. If friends or family wants me to know something important, they better tell me in other ways, like texting or calling.
Scholar
#12 Old 26th Jun 2014 at 9:08 PM
It's hard to stay away from Facebook if you're like me, a massive fan of Eurovision who seriously wants to catch up on the Austria 2015 build-up! I also have various friends and in a few groups on Facebook whom I like to speak to a lot - nobody in my area thinks nicely of Eurovision.

I can live without Facebook for a few days - especially when TalkTalk decide to be sassy with you and cut off your connection despite having paid the bill but then again, you're living in 2014 where almost everything needs an internet connection, so you get bored to tears.

The drop off has been made. You've been warned.
#13 Old 26th Jun 2014 at 10:44 PM
My facebook is connected to most of my family and a few close friends. I don't like how it updates everyone on EVERYTHING you do, so I can't like certain posts in fear of being judged...because I once was...yeah I have a crappy family, I know. :P

Sometimes I wonder why Facebook is so popular anyway. It's not as up to date as Google it seems; you can't even upload a frickin' animated .gif or an .swf for Pete sake! (Being an animator it's VERY annoying.)
Scholar
#14 Old 26th Jun 2014 at 11:34 PM
Facebook is a useful utility for me. I like seeing what's happening in people's lives (to a certain extent). Seeing photos from a friend's hike or charity walk is nice, and some people have witty statuses. It's also a useful way to communicate (through messaging) if you don't want to use your cell phone. A while ago I went through a big Facebook purge and deleted everyone who I didn't like or who annoyed me. Now I have 116 friends, which isn't a huge amount really (compared to some people I know who have over 1,000). I recently had to unfriend this lady who kept making holier-than-thou statuses (not in the religious sense, in the "I am so much nicer than everyone, especially religious people" sense). That might've been okay since I could've just hid her but she also kept asking me to come to events, to buy her yoga products, etc. It got rather tiresome to be honest, since I didn't know her that well and hadn't spoken with her in months. Usually I just hide people--anyone who posts way too much, who posts way too many religious things (even though I'm religious myself it's still frickin' annoying), anyone who's passive-aggressive, etc. I HATE the lovey-dovey couples (this goes for all social media accounts) and hide them, too. This one girl I was friends with also posted about her boyfriend's bodily functions--WTF? What makes you think that is okay? I don't understand.

Overall, I don't really understand how people get "lost" in Facebook or "spend hours" on it. To me it's pretty simple and straightforward and there's usually not much to see, unless an article is linked and then I'll read that.

“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.”
bleed-in-ink.tumblr.com
Mad Poster
#15 Old 27th Jun 2014 at 12:09 AM
Quote: Originally posted by efolger997
Overall, I don't really understand how people get "lost" in Facebook or "spend hours" on it. To me it's pretty simple and straightforward and there's usually not much to see, unless an article is linked and then I'll read that.
I think it really depends on your friends. I have a lot of friends who are involved in education, politics, activism, charities, and who are just generally deep thinkers. As such, there's a lot to read. I also have a lot of musician friends who share a lot of music on FB, usually in the way of finds. Plus, a lot of my friends post pictures of events that I sometimes attend and it's always fun to catch up with all the photos. I used to spend a lot of time on FB, but I've cut back significantly.

Addicted to The Sims since 2000.
Mad Poster
#16 Old 27th Jun 2014 at 12:18 AM
I leave facebook on when I'm on the laptop and occasionally do a short scroll down the news feed every once in a while. I only really use it as something to pass time, or a way of talking to my friends (mainly my friend Luke who doesn't use skype). I live 150 miles away from my highschool and college friends and my siblings, so I favourited/"close friend"-ed them so I get messages when they do things. I ended up unfavouriting a lot of them though because every day I'd get like 10 notifications of "________ has changed their profile picture" and now I only have 6 favourites - my little brother so I know what he's up to online, my little sister because she posts updates about my siblings, my best friend Jaz because she doesn't really post much and the things she does post I actually care about, my boyfriend, Luke because he only posts interesting things, and a few close family. I only really use facebook to keep up to date with my family and friends because I live far away, and my Mum's friend Coral because she often shares a lot of interesting articles about motherhood and raising children.

I find facebook drama super annoying though and I find it hard to not look-down at some of the people who I went to High school with who still act like they're in highschool. especially the ones with children who are heavily pregnant with their 2nd, but are still on fb 24/7 posting statuses about how much they 'hate' their boyfriend (and then the boyfriend would change his relationship status to 'single' for an afternoon, and then the drama repeats). Really some people should learn to stop writing stupid things on facebook...

~Your friendly neighborhood ginge
Theorist
#17 Old 27th Jun 2014 at 3:43 AM
I'm old and fairly selective about the people I'm friends with on Facebook mostly, so I don't often see this "drama" stuff. Mostly it's folks sending pictures of their adventures overseas, a bunch of us all bitching about the exact same thing, people's kids, cool tech and art made or discovered by us, and lots and lots of music videos. Seriously, on the right night a few of my friends and I can turn Facebook into MTV circa-1988 pretty quickly. I've got a few folks I've kicked off or hidden, and all the kids are put into my Restricted stream so theoretically they're not seeing me use the language I don't use here or at work, but it's all pretty easy going all in all.
Instructor
#18 Old 28th Jun 2014 at 8:11 PM
Whenever I'm doing/looking at something weird on the internet I'm always paranoid as hell that it's gonna end up on Facebook. Seriously.
And also because this guy is low-key stalking me and I don't want him bombarding me with 50+ messages.
Inventor
#19 Old 28th Jun 2014 at 11:05 PM
Personally I'm on Facebook mostly to keep up with work, and because my jobs require it (I work in marketing). I don't really care much to write everyday statuses or upload pics. I use it for my blog and to show my graphic work. For me Facebook is more a calendar or work place than anything else, and I wish that that I wouldn't need it. There's so much drama about deleting/adding friends etc, having more friends than others or being more perfect. Days without it feels like true freedom :P
Alchemist
#20 Old 29th Jun 2014 at 4:09 PM
I don't even have Facebook. That's how much I'm hiding from it. If people want something from me there are things, called calling, texting and skype.

If you remember me, I'm awesome!
#21 Old 29th Jun 2014 at 4:44 PM
I'm not using facebook almost a year. I try to delete my profile, but it was unsuccessful........
Top Secret Researcher
#22 Old 29th Jun 2014 at 6:37 PM
My facebook has maybe 78 people. 3 people from here, and the rest is family and a few close friends. I hate that it's a place for everyone to air the laundry. Maybe instead of posting about your fight with the significant other, you go fix it? Seriously. It was really annoying, so I closed one down and kept it to friends and family. No drama. It is basically just a tool to post pictures of Eve for people not close to me. I think I might comment on Effie's thing once in a while to try and bug her but other than that, it's absolutely useless.
Field Researcher
#23 Old 6th Jul 2014 at 6:48 PM Last edited by Drakesecaravdis : 7th Jul 2014 at 5:36 AM.
I don't hide from it but I only use it for my GPT sites. I never really liked it. I originally got one to find a classmate from middle school and never found him. I mean if a friend on there talks to me I'll reply to them to be nice but not instantly and I'll only be aware that they sent me a message through looking at GPT sites facebook or through my email.
I like conversing on the internet but there's just something about Facebook and all these other social networks that I really don't like. The only one I liked was Myspace and it's so different now that I don't even know why it's still going. I guess I find fault with every one of them. Maybe my problem with Facebook is it's not anonymous and it also feels very cluttered with the news feed/wall. I just can't look at it for more than a few minutes I'll get really bored. However, I really can't figure out why I don't like the games. I usually like hidden objects but something about the ones on Facebook doesn't really seem that appealing and I tried to play one.
Field Researcher
#24 Old 7th Jul 2014 at 5:14 AM
I never joined. Still haven't, although there's some people it'd be nice to get in contact with.

Dilemma with that is both me and the folks I'd like to contact have cell phones. They can text or call me, I can text or call them. We don't, so I figure I'm not vastly important to them and move on with my own life accordingly. They do as well.

Take the Hard Hat Challenge. A relatively quick challenge designed to be added into almost any established hood.

Hollow Tune - Brick 'N' Mortar.

{San-Yip-See-Ah}
Mad Poster
#25 Old 20th Jul 2014 at 2:56 AM
I deleted all my posts a couple of years ago, logged off, and never looked back. The idea of going there makes me ill. It had too many people I felt obligated to interact with, and I wanted nothing to do with their dramas. It was very freeing to leave.

♥ }i{ Monarch of the Receptacle Refugees }i{ ♥
Page 1 of 2