Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Department of Post-Mortem Communications
#4926 Old 1st Jun 2015 at 10:41 AM
Quote: Originally posted by sweetdevil
(...)

2. A workaround I've found is to save up on them lifetime reward points, buy the Collection Helper and have an adult or teen use it (because children can't). I essentially go to map view, have an adult/teen turn the CH on while in their inventory, see where the rocks are and memorize their position, then switch over to the kid (the map tags will disappear) and have them go over and collect said rocks.
It's tedious, but I haven't found any other way to do it. Also, the spawners may not have activated if you just started playing the save. Give it 1-2 more days.

(...)
If the child has to collect insects or stones/metals for the Science Facility opportunities the items in question will show in Map View for the child anyway for as long as the opportunity lasts. So, if there aren't any in Map View then they simply haven't spawned yet.
But, other than that, yes, sweetdevil's method seems to be the only viable strategy if you want to send kids collecting without any opportunities active. I actually use the same method in reverse when a child has one of these opportunities for my grown up Sims to finish their own collections. Because the items show up as already identified for kids with one of these opportunites, which is even better than what the collection helper reward object shows, and so I use the children's "filter" to see where exactly the Palladium may be.
Advertisement
Instructor
#4927 Old 1st Jun 2015 at 12:02 PM
Quote: Originally posted by letrax
No, this is kind of the opposite thing. Here your sim can convince another sim to join your career. (Only it doesn't actually need any convincing. From the few tests I have made it appears the other sim always accepts every time, no matter how insane the career change is. So it's more of a cheat than actual gameplay, unfortunately.)

Oh, this sounds interesting. I've never seen that happen, but it looks like I would need to install NRaas Careers to get that in my game. I might give that a try just to see how it works. Wish it was harder though, like it would take some arm twisting or more to get them to change careers. Thanks!
Lab Assistant
#4928 Old 1st Jun 2015 at 12:40 PM
2. A workaround I've found is to save up on them lifetime reward points, buy the Collection Helper and have an adult or teen use it (because children can't). I essentially go to map view, have an adult/teen turn the CH on while in their inventory, see where the rocks are and memorize their position, then switch over to the kid (the map tags will disappear) and have them go over and collect said rocks.
It's tedious, but I haven't found any other way to do it. Also, the spawners may not have activated if you just started playing the save. Give it 1-2 more days.

You can also let the children use the Collection Helper themselves, with a mod. Nona Mena has a tuning mod that enables the Collection Helper for children, at SimLogical.
#4929 Old 1st Jun 2015 at 1:13 PM
My stupid question regards lighting mods. The ones that are available here at MTS say that they replace only the default lighting of worlds like Sunset Valley or any Store/CC world that uses that, like Hidden Springs or Barnacle Bay, while they leave the worlds with custom lighting, like Moonlight Falls or Roaring Heights from the Store untouched.
The ones by brntwaflles say that they replace the lighting of ALL worlds.
Are these different mods or is brntwaffles simply referring to the default worlds, too?
I would like to only change the Sunset Valley lighting scheme and leave my other worlds with custom lighting intact without having to remember to take out the mod every time I change worlds or travel to another destination.
Scholar
#4930 Old 1st Jun 2015 at 3:56 PM
Thanks for the answers! Also, to confirm what I've read, the kids have to complete the rainbow gem opportunity to be able to turn their imaginary friend real? My first sim child had such a fantastic relationship with her imaginary friend, but the option to make him real stayed greyed out and eventually he just turned back into a toy she can't even do anything with as an adult but give him as a gift to another adult. Now two of the children have imaginary friend dolls and I'm hoping to get them both real.
Alchemist
#4931 Old 1st Jun 2015 at 4:35 PM
@ letrax: THANK YOU for that mod.

Quote: Originally posted by DonBabilon
My stupid question regards lighting mods. The ones that are available here at MTS say that they replace only the default lighting of worlds like Sunset Valley or any Store/CC world that uses that, like Hidden Springs or Barnacle Bay, while they leave the worlds with custom lighting, like Moonlight Falls or Roaring Heights from the Store untouched.
The ones by brntwaflles say that they replace the lighting of ALL worlds.
Are these different mods or is brntwaffles simply referring to the default worlds, too?

Yes, his/her lighting mods affect all worlds, not just the EA-made ones. I've played in custom worlds before and at one point switched between two different lighting mods in the same save, and the difference was noticeable.

Quote:
Also, to confirm what I've read, the kids have to complete the rainbow gem opportunity to be able to turn their imaginary friend real?

Yes, or you can throw an Imaginary Friend Metamorphium potion (made with the chemistry table) at him. Imaginary friends need to have a good relationship with their creators and be outside the creators' inventories in order to "age up" together with the sim.
#4932 Old 1st Jun 2015 at 4:52 PM
Yes, his/her lighting mods affect all worlds, not just the EA-made ones. I've played in custom worlds before and at one point switched between two different lighting mods in the same save, and the difference was noticeable.
So, how can I easily spot the difference between a lighting mod that replaces the lighting globally and those that replace only the default (Sunset Valley) settings? None of the mods that I've seen so far tell me what resources they replace and where.
Scholar
#4933 Old 1st Jun 2015 at 5:34 PM
Oh, chemistry table! Much better. Something I can count on! Thank you.
Alchemist
#4934 Old 1st Jun 2015 at 5:41 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Don_Babilon
So, how can I easily spot the difference between a lighting mod that replaces the lighting globally and those that replace only the default (Sunset Valley) settings? None of the mods that I've seen so far tell me what resources they replace and where.

Sorry, can't say, I have no clue about the ins and outs of modding. I could only tell they worked for non-EA worlds when I opened savegames from said worlds and noticed the differences from either that lighting mod and EA lighting, or that lighting mod and another custom lighting mod.
Scholar
#4935 Old 1st Jun 2015 at 6:35 PM
Yes, or you can throw an Imaginary Friend Metamorphium potion (made with the chemistry table) at him. Imaginary friends need to have a good relationship with their creators and be outside the creators' inventories in order to "age up" together with the sim.

Don't think you even need to throw it; you can pass it over to the IF, they'll drink it, and turn into a regular sim.
Lab Assistant
#4936 Old 6th Jun 2015 at 12:31 AM
Either this isn't possible, or I'm being a fool about this. So... stupid question time.

How do I place a houseboat, which is a community lot, into a port in a different world from my Library?

That is, I made a houseboat in another word, changed its type to Community/Visitors Allowed, saved it to Library, and now I want to use it in a different world. How do I do that? When I select it, all the port icons vanish, like they are invalid positions.
Instructor
#4937 Old 6th Jun 2015 at 1:51 AM
Quote: Originally posted by McNum
Either this isn't possible, or I'm being a fool about this. So... stupid question time.

How do I place a houseboat, which is a community lot, into a port in a different world from my Library?

That is, I made a houseboat in another word, changed its type to Community/Visitors Allowed, saved it to Library, and now I want to use it in a different world. How do I do that? When I select it, all the port icons vanish, like they are invalid positions.

Make sure that you:
* Enable lot locking via testingcheats > enablelotlocking on
* Unlock the Port you want to use and make sure it's designated as a 'Port' (they default to No Visitors Allowed if revised/opened for editing)
* Lock Port, then click on 'Set Houseboat' (make sure that you set the proper size for the hb you want to place)
* Add your lot to the barge that has been added.

It's possible to have community lots attached to Ports, I did this with a bakery in IP.
Lab Assistant
#4938 Old 6th Jun 2015 at 3:07 AM
Quote: Originally posted by lindali365
Make sure that you:
* Enable lot locking via testingcheats > enablelotlocking on
* Unlock the Port you want to use and make sure it's designated as a 'Port' (they default to No Visitors Allowed if revised/opened for editing)
* Lock Port, then click on 'Set Houseboat' (make sure that you set the proper size for the hb you want to place)
* Add your lot to the barge that has been added.

It's possible to have community lots attached to Ports, I did this with a bakery in IP.

Oh, so I have to add an empty houseboat of the same shape as my saved lot, then add the saved lot to THAT and not add it as a completed houseboat like you do when adding a Residential houseboat to an empty port in Edit Town mode.

I kind of get the feeling this is a bit of an off-label use of houseboats, but on the other hand, a floating dance club is totally awesome. (And it's not like Isla Paradiso has THAT many extra lots to build on, or even room to add them.)
Instructor
#4939 Old 6th Jun 2015 at 5:33 AM
How do you play as a Vampire and not have them starve to death from a lack of blood?

I have tried and even when I use motherlode so they don't have to get a job and I have them spend every waking moment drinking blood the first time they go to sleep they starve to death from a lack of blood middle of the night. I have not found a way to get a vampire to live past two days, even if I keep them up and they pass out they still starve to death from not drinking blood for the twenty sim minutes or so they are out.

Is there a way to play as a vampire without they dying instantly or were they just put in as a joke and made this way on purpose?
Theorist
#4940 Old 6th Jun 2015 at 6:38 AM
Quote: Originally posted by EvilMcNastySim2015
How do you play as a Vampire and not have them starve to death from a lack of blood?

I have tried and even when I use motherlode so they don't have to get a job and I have them spend every waking moment drinking blood the first time they go to sleep they starve to death from a lack of blood middle of the night. I have not found a way to get a vampire to live past two days, even if I keep them up and they pass out they still starve to death from not drinking blood for the twenty sim minutes or so they are out.

Is there a way to play as a vampire without they dying instantly or were they just put in as a joke and made this way on purpose?

@EvilMcNastySIm2015 - I have them raid (at night of course) the hospital for blood and the grocery store for their blood/plasma fruit or something - I forget the name. They keep it all in their inventory. Stock up and they'll never run out Keeps them from starving. Haven't played a vampire in a long time.

Life is short, insecurity is a waste of time. ~Diane Von Furstenburg
You don't get out of life alive. ~Jimmy the Hand

♥ Receptacle Refugee ♥
Instructor
#4941 Old 6th Jun 2015 at 10:40 AM
Okay, thanks. I will try that.
Theorist
#4942 Old 6th Jun 2015 at 10:36 PM
Okay, thanks. I will try that.

Let me know how that works out for you

Life is short, insecurity is a waste of time. ~Diane Von Furstenburg
You don't get out of life alive. ~Jimmy the Hand

♥ Receptacle Refugee ♥
#4943 Old 6th Jun 2015 at 11:42 PM Last edited by Don_Babilon : 7th Jun 2015 at 2:04 AM.

This doesn't sound normal. My vampire needs two, maximum 3 servings of plasma a day. Do you have a mod that modifies the thirst motive or any motive related mod that might interfere with the normal behaviour?

Besides, you can get Plasma Juice from the fridge, Plasma Fruit at the grocery and eating in the bistro or diner will also fill the need. Then there's "Drink" from other Sims.
Eating a perfect Plasma Fruit will also lock the thirst motive for as long as the moodlet it then gives lasts.
Mad Poster
#4944 Old 7th Jun 2015 at 1:08 AM
Plasma fruit is dumb and a PG way out. Why isn't there an option to trap a sim, hang it upside down and use it as a bloodbag?
#4945 Old 7th Jun 2015 at 2:41 AM
Quote: Originally posted by jje1000
Plasma fruit is dumb and a PG way out. Why isn't there an option to trap a sim, hang it upside down and use it as a bloodbag?

I agree, but it's a "T" rated version of vampires. It's has a certain appeal to it, being "T" rated and all.

I'd kick it up a notch if it wasn't too crass.
Alchemist
#4946 Old 7th Jun 2015 at 7:43 AM
Alternatively, get them the Hardly Hungry LTR and I think they'll only need to feed once a day. Vampires with the Too Much Sun moodlet (I think that's what it's called) that lasts for 2 days also have their Thirst depleted faster than usual. If you have a vampire sim like this, keep a close eye on them and never make them sleep when they're hungry. After the Very Thirsty moodlet expires, it will be replaced by the Madly Thirsty one (I think) and even though the latter says it lasts 24 hours (I think), it times out much, much faster - like 1 hour goes by every 3 in-game minutes. So it's not unusual for the Madly Thirsty moodlet to actually last only one hour.

Even with Perfect plasma fruit, somehow Thirst keeps dropping for me It used to go static but at one point the bar started depleting as usual again.
Instructor
#4947 Old 7th Jun 2015 at 10:49 AM
Yeah I think that is what happened. I had them move into a smaller house then they stared out in because I was having trouble keeping track of them in the massive house they were in, and by the time they finished moving they all had the too much sun moodlet and they were all starving to death. Waiting until night to move and getting the fruit seems to have fixed that, thanks.

I don't understand why you can't have them act like vampires and just keep people walled up for blood in a T rated game. I mean there is skinny dipping in this game and there are plenty of shows and movies out there that teens watch that are much more violent then that would be. Still I guess that is a problem with the ratings system and not the game.

Thanks for your help.
#4948 Old 7th Jun 2015 at 4:40 PM
Wait... I played a vampire once, she didn't have to eat for a week. Do higher level vampires have to drink plasma more often or what?

And when she did, she nabbed some guy in the library and bit him on the arm, not the neck.
One Minute Ninja'd
#4949 Old 7th Jun 2015 at 5:11 PM
You know, if you're caught in a pinch, there is plasma juice available right from the fridge under snacks or whatever it's called (same one as the microwave meal and cereal). And it's free. I'm sure it's not as good as straight from the sim, but if you're sunburned and dying of hunger, it beats the alternative.
#4950 Old 7th Jun 2015 at 5:18 PM
Quote: Originally posted by eskie227
You know, if you're caught in a pinch, there is plasma juice available right from the fridge under snacks or whatever it's called (same one as the microwave meal and cereal). And it's free. I'm sure it's not as good as straight from the sim, but if you're sunburned and dying of hunger, it beats the alternative.

Does going out in the sun make the vampire sim more thirsty? My vamp avoided the sun and only came out after 6 PM.
Page 198 of 385