Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 17th Jan 2015 at 8:37 PM
Default Pros and Cons of Sims3packs vs. Packages
I was reading on another discussion somewhere that having a lot of Custom Content (.sims3pack) as opposed to mods (.package) can make loading times longer in the game, and they do seem like they're pretty long for me (I've downloaded a lot of both types). So I was thinking about converting all my sims3packs to packages; the conversion itself seems like it's quite simple, but the process of cataloging what custom content I had before, so I can make sure it all transferred properly, that seems like it would be quite long and tedious. And then, I might occasionally wish they were still sims3packs (I like how they're viewable in the Launcher, for instance). So, I was wondering if people could give me an overview of what the relative pros and cons of the two file types are. Thanks!
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 17th Jan 2015 at 8:41 PM
In my opinion:

It's easier to remove .package files
You are able to merge .package files together
The actual conversion has rarely ever taken more than a literal second, even if I'm converting a shit ton of Sims3packs at the same time. Merging them, on the other hand, can be slower than a slug in treacle, but still worth doing

...Those are pretty much all the points I can think of without getting into the stupid and useless like 'SIM PACKS PISS ME OFF D:<' like an idiot.
Test Subject
#3 Old 18th Jan 2015 at 4:01 AM
I don't care for Sims 3 Packs at all. They take forever.

Paisley♥
"nimbo helba bob queek welp"
Alchemist
#4 Old 18th Jan 2015 at 5:23 AM
The thing about sims3pack is that they're installed in your DCCache folder as a .dbc file, which can't be viewed with S3PE. Worse, even if you uninstall an item, the .dbc file will not get reduced anyhow. It will eventually bloat the memory.

Just call me Nikel
dodgy builder
#5 Old 18th Jan 2015 at 10:10 AM
For a builder like me it's the issue of testing things before I decide what look to have for the house. It all stays in the end file even for a tiny test on the house. At the end to go through Custard removing files I don't know what are and often they arn't labeled well either. It's just such a timeconsuming process.

Keeping track of package files are so easy in comparison, just take them out and then in again, to uninstall and install again. I can also put them in folders by creator and set, easy to find back to the site they came from. It's a bit of a task often for the downloader, but then again they don't need to worry about how to get rid of it if the house isn't what they wanted.
Department of Post-Mortem Communications
#6 Old 18th Jan 2015 at 10:34 AM
Pro of .package: if you know a bit about S3PE you can change catalogue or other values in the package itself, which makes a separate mod that overrides the sims3pack values unnecessary.

Cons: when you export a lot or Sim as sims3pack, converted package files can attach themselves to the lot or .sim file, similar to the once infamous doll. It's best to not share a creation as sims3pack if you used converted files. Custard will show this most often as corrupt with the message that there's a package inside the package.
Alchemist
#7 Old 18th Jan 2015 at 12:20 PM
Quote: Originally posted by nikel23
The thing about sims3pack is that they're installed in your DCCache folder as a .dbc file, which can't be viewed with S3PE. Worse, even if you uninstall an item, the .dbc file will not get reduced anyhow. It will eventually bloat the memory.
You mean you have to uninstall and reinstall all sims3packs, delete the .dbc and let it recreate itself in order to get rid of traces of old (uninstalled) content? That sucks.

For me, it's much easier to sort .package files. The Launcher just gives you 3-4 poorly organized tabs (seriously, is there even a Sort by Filename option?).
With .package files, I can sort my hair into Child-Toddler, Female, Male and Unisex, in addition to sorting it by creator. That's an option I never want to give up on. Sorting takes a bit at first (especially if you download tons of CC at once), but after a while it's just another habit and saves a lot of time in the long run.
Like Don Babilon said, it's awesome to be able to change the categories of CC. Sometimes there are things I want enabled for Outerwear, or things disabled for Random (so other Sims don't end up with that CC). Most recently, I installed a child hair that was incorrectly assigned to babies as well; if it were sims3pack I'd have to give it up, but it being a .package meant I only had to switch a flag from True to False in S3PE.

If you want to convert sims3packs to packages, make sure you don't convert worlds, counters/cabinets and patterns. Those tend to act up in .package format. In my experience:
- sims and lot addresses become strings when the world is converted to packages, even if the world itself works properly;
- counters/cabinets become unCAStable if placed in corners i.e. between two other counters/cabinets;
- broken sims3pack-to-package patterns lead to the "Materializing Materials" error in CASt (not all sims3pack-to-package patterns do this, though).
Theorist
#8 Old 18th Jan 2015 at 1:02 PM
Quote: Originally posted by rb813
Custom Content (.sims3pack) as opposed to mods (.package)

^ ^ This isn't really correct. CC can come in any format. Mods are in .package only because making them sims3packs would be extra work for everyone involved.

But the general rule is:
Sims3pack:
> Lots
> Neighbourhoods
> Counter surfaces
> Sims (or .sim files sometimes)

Package:
> Everything else

#BlairWitchPetition
TS3 NEEDS: TENNIS COURTS > BUSES > PIGS/SHEEP
Can't find stuff in build and buy mode? http://www.nexusmods.com/thesims3/mods/1/?
dodgy builder
#9 Old 18th Jan 2015 at 4:45 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Don_Babilon
It's best to not share a creation as sims3pack if you used converted files. Custard will show this most often as corrupt with the message that there's a package inside the package.

Interesting, I need to remember that. Is it only as it appears or does it have any real problem?

Someone mentioned patterns can't be converted. I've done that for a long time and the only problem I had was with one pattern from Murano. I tend to blame that on Murano and not really on the conversion. I may be wrong though.
Department of Post-Mortem Communications
#10 Old 18th Jan 2015 at 5:06 PM
Hm, as MTS has changed their Sim sharing policy over the course of TS3 and now only allows sharing of .sim files, preferably only dressed in base game clothing and no non-default skins, my guess is that there were problems in the past with Sims.
Lots are still shared as sims3packs, something that I find risky myself. I would prefer sharing of the library package file. Sims3pack export packs too much crap with a lot. The most recent case that I remember is a set of counters from TSR that spread via the Exchange into people's games: http://sims3.crinrict.com/en/2014/0...unterright.html
Also here: http://sims3.crinrict.com/en/2014/0...-with-s3pe.html
The thing is, once it's inside a lot/Sim file, you cannot really get rid of it, because it does not appear as a separate file anywhere. You can only delete the file it came with and hope that no other of your files have contracted it yet. There are quite some lots here on MTS that show as corrupt and contain things they are not supposed to contain. I usually place lots I downloaded in a separate user folder game first and then export it again into the library and use only that new file in my regular games. That seems to help a lot.
Most problematic are converted Store files, both compressorised and decrapified ones. They are most likely to pack with a sims3pack even though they shouldn't. You can check the Exchange, for example. Whenever you see a Sim that lists weird Store objects as required items, like a lamp or a sofa, you can bet that the creator used converted Store items as package in their games and these then packed with the Sim. Also when a Sim, household or lot comes in an unusually large file size, even though the creator stated that they are CC free, they most likely contain hidden cc items that were merged with the object you downloaded.
While I can reproduce this I cannot say whether the problem lies in the sims3pack extractor tools, the compressoriser, the sims3pack export function or all three together.

I began to notice this quite some time ago when I downloaded an Exchange Sim that came with a Store clothing item inside the Sim file. I owned this item and so suddenly I had it show up twice in CAS, my own one and the one that came with the Sim. After some testing I came to the conclusion that the creator used decrapified Store stuff.
Field Researcher
#11 Old 18th Jan 2015 at 5:16 PM
I mostly rely on CC Magic which does the heavy lifting of (1) unpacking .sims3pack files, (2) deleting duplicate contents inside the .sims3pack files, and (3) merging the .sim3pack files (and .package files) into several honking big .package files.

That said, whenever I downloaded a .sims3pack file, my workflow it's always:
1. Check what objects tag along, using CUSTARD
2. Unpack using s3su, then use s3pe to look especially for "UNKN" chunks
3. Remove "tag-along" objects / bad chunks
4. Repack using s3su

Then, I install using CC Magic, except for: worlds, counters, lots, patterns, and sims.

Nobody is Perfect. I am Nobody. And I'm trying to make something wonderful for The Sims 3.
Mad Poster
#12 Old 18th Jan 2015 at 7:47 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Don_Babilon
Cons: when you export a lot or Sim as sims3pack, converted package files can attach themselves to the lot or .sim file, similar to the once infamous doll.

Uhhh? wat
Alchemist
#13 Old 18th Jan 2015 at 7:55 PM
I haaaateee Sims3pack!

Launcher: oh just give me 1 minute to install this chair and don't even think about clicking on another one before I'm done!

Package: Just put me in the folder and lets play!!!
Alchemist
#14 Old 18th Jan 2015 at 8:03 PM
Quote: Originally posted by BL00DIEDHELL
Uhhh? wat

In 2009 or in 2010 you could get a visit from a creepy doll that got installed in your game, details in my head are not clear but I think it was corrupt/virus or something (not even sure if it was harmful) and the doll spread its way and kind of hid in the Exchange, because let's say that you'd download a house, if the user who uploaded that house had the doll in the game and then uploaded the house then you would also get the doll in your game even if it was not intended to be in the download in first place. And then if you put something up on Exchange then everyone who downloaded your sim/house would get that doll etc.

http://sims.wikia.com/wiki/Corrupt_file_on_The_Exchange
Mad Poster
#15 Old 19th Jan 2015 at 12:52 AM
...lol well then. Sounds like the premise for a Sims related horror movie or something.
Field Researcher
#16 Old 19th Jan 2015 at 1:09 AM
Quote: Originally posted by BL00DIEDHELL
...lol well then. Sounds like the premise for a Sims related horror movie or something.
There's also that self-replicating counter...

Unfortunately, "the once infamous bathroom counter" doesn't really sound horror-y.

Nobody is Perfect. I am Nobody. And I'm trying to make something wonderful for The Sims 3.
Mad Poster
#17 Old 19th Jan 2015 at 1:31 AM
"A curious phenomenon with this counter can be seen in CAS. If you have the bad version, you will see a Store Icon for no facial hair"

I like to imagine that if you choose that option, you'll get a Sim with a kitchen counter for a beard.
And all the maladies of the world burst forth from Pandora's cooch
#18 Old 21st Jan 2015 at 9:38 PM
The doll, that counter, horsebody, the daytime/nighttime hooker boots, there are a whole slew of things that have been passed around like mono at a slumber party, and they all have one thing on common: they attach themselves to everything in you game so that when you bundle something up into a simpack, it gets included as well. This is why I will always prefer packages over simpacks, and also why I stay away from the exchange as well.
One Minute Ninja'd
#19 Old 21st Jan 2015 at 11:55 PM Last edited by eskie227 : 21st Jan 2015 at 11:55 PM. Reason: another freaking typo
Quote: Originally posted by ButchSims
The doll, that counter, horsebody, the daytime/nighttime hooker boots, there are a whole slew of things that have been passed around like mono at a slumber party, and they all have one thing on common: they attach themselves to everything in you game so that when you bundle something up into a simpack, it gets included as well. This is why I will always prefer packages over simpacks, and also why I stay away from the exchange as well.

Yeah, I've never downloaded anything off the Exchange except for some worlds, and try to check all my content before installation, either converting S3Ps, or at least inspecting them with CUSTARD, and I still got the daytime/nighttime hooker boots in my game that's attached to some sim I got from somewhere that to this day I can't track down. Waste my time doing quick CAS makeovers to get rid of those damned boots, especially on the toddlers and kids. Fucking annoying.

Bottom line, however you install your content, try not to gorge with lots of stuff all at once, only to find out down the road something isn't working, either figuratively as in not nearly as attractive as the Photoshopped pics made it look, or literally, like those damn boots. Better to add a few items at a time, play the game out with them, see if they're keepers. If so, keep going. If not, lose the content before you're buried under a lot of crap you thought you might use one day, but still haven't used even once 4 years later.
dodgy builder
#20 Old 22nd Jan 2015 at 12:21 AM
oh yes sims, I've heard they have lots of troubles, but then I only deal with houses and always only my own so ...

I wouldn't be converting store items, I bet EA has gone to great length to ensure they won't be downloaded anywhere without paying for it.

Messing around in game files isn't recommended, if you're a bit unsure it's easy to do something silly there, like dropping a folder somewhere it doesn't belong without noticing it. Even I did that when I bought this machine, I asked Dell for help, but seriously it's one of those things I would rather keep untidy than having to clean up something I don't know what is. I can blame a faulty Bamboo Pen though, always nice to have someone to blame.
Alchemist
#21 Old 22nd Jan 2015 at 9:23 AM
Quote: Originally posted by eskie227
Yeah, I've never downloaded anything off the Exchange except for some worlds, and try to check all my content before installation, either converting S3Ps, or at least inspecting them with CUSTARD, and I still got the daytime/nighttime hooker boots in my game that's attached to some sim I got from somewhere that to this day I can't track down. Waste my time doing quick CAS makeovers to get rid of those damned boots, especially on the toddlers and kids. Fucking annoying.
I haven't had the displeasure of having the boots in my game so far, but what exactly was wrong with them? Were they just incorrectly categorized for babies/toddlers or did they have some deeper issue?
One Minute Ninja'd
#22 Old 22nd Jan 2015 at 9:50 AM
They were incorrectly categorized and appear on all age groups. While they just look ridiculous on toddlers, when on babies they induce, in my game, texture shearing and nasty graphical glitches. And even if you take the baby into CAS, you have no option for removing the boots, so you're stuck with either nasty glitches while waiting for the baby to age up, or aging them up in a day (my personal preference). Which means you cannot enjoy the baby life stage for any period of time unless you don't mind lines from Hell shooting out of the atmosphere.

Even on YA/A, they're miscatagorized, and are valid in every clothing class, so your town sims are wearing those damn boots in the pool and while exercising. Truly annoying.
Alchemist
#23 Old 22nd Jan 2015 at 9:53 AM
Urgh, that's awful. Stuff like this has got me to learn how to recategorize clothes; too many creators enable their stuff for categories that make zero sense. Thick winter coat? Avoid enabling that shit for Outerwear like the plague, and God forbid you share it without enabling it for Swimwear first! Or shoes! Soo many high heels enabled for Swimwear.
Lab Assistant
#24 Old 22nd Jan 2015 at 12:39 PM
I converted all my Sims3packs into packages and merged all off them but my game didn't load faster. Do I have to delete anything else? I think that I don't have dbc files and the CCBackup folder is empty.
Forum Resident
#25 Old 22nd Jan 2015 at 8:30 PM
If one have a large library folder (the one that hold lots & households) it can increase loading time alot.
And that have nothing to do with if they're from sims3packs or not, so if you do move any that you don't use frequently to a sub-folder, and game won't "see" them.

I want my Space Pony title back.. why was it there such a short time..
Page 1 of 2