Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Scholar
#51 Old 2nd Jul 2008 at 10:02 AM
Then how can a child inherit alien skintone from a non-alien skinned Sim if there is no such thing as recessive/dominant genes for skintone?

And I've had Sims where the grandparent has S4 skin but none of the grandchildren suddenly have S4 skin, so I doubt that the child will also have the gene for dark skin, but instead will only pass on the gene for the skin colour that they have. Any children that they then have will have the gene from the father and the gene from the mother to determine their skintone, which makes much more sense to me. That way you don't get to the point where each Sim child could have up to 4 different skintones to choose from, as you would if each parent has 2.

I'm supporting the Optimist Camp for the Sims 4.

Advertisement
#52 Old 2nd Jul 2008 at 11:00 AM
I'm currently doing a legacy and the genetics have gone horribly wrong except for one of the founders kids. Too Unique Parents I guess.
I also had it where a child of a natural blonde and a natural black haired sim had the red hair of her grandmother, Has anyone else had stuff like that?
Test Subject
#53 Old 2nd Jul 2008 at 12:41 PM
I did a bit of digging in SimPE. There's a dominant and recessive gene for skintone. But, what happens is that it looks at mom's skintone gene and dad's skintone gene then picks one in that range for the kids. The kid then gets the picked skintone as their skintone gene, both dominant AND recessive, and can only pass on the one they got.

For example: Emmy has skintone 4 (the darkest). Florian has skintone 2 (second lightest). They have three children. Two of the children have skintone 2 and one has skintone 3 (despite neither parent carrying any sort of gene for skintone 3). Looking in SimPE, the ones with skintone 2 only have genes for skintone 2 and the one with 3 only has genes for 3.

The only sims that are exception to this, it seems, are aliens. They carry 1 alien skintone gene and 1 normal skintone gene. I suspect that if one of the parents carries an alien skintone gene, they can pass it on and if it gets picked as the dominant one the kid expresses an alien skintone instead (since alien skintones don't work with skincolour ranges like the other ones do).
#54 Old 2nd Jul 2008 at 6:47 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Fantasyrogue
For example: Emmy has skintone 4 (the darkest). Florian has skintone 2 (second lightest). They have three children. Two of the children have skintone 2 and one has skintone 3 (despite neither parent carrying any sort of gene for skintone 3). Looking in SimPE, the ones with skintone 2 only have genes for skintone 2 and the one with 3 only has genes for 3.

This suggests that if you had 100 sims and had them breed for 100 generations, you'd probably end up with mainly skintone 2 and 3 and very little 1 or 4 at the end. Is that right?
Test Subject
#55 Old 2nd Jul 2008 at 7:44 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ElZorro
This suggests that if you had 100 sims and had them breed for 100 generations, you'd probably end up with mainly skintone 2 and 3 and very little 1 or 4 at the end. Is that right?

Probably not, actually. Randomness of the dice gave Emmy 3 children with none of her skintone. It just happened that 2 of the kids ended with skintone 2 (which was Florian's) and the third child got a completely new skintone. I've similarly had it go the other way round. Where a light skinned sim had 2 kids with a dark skinned sim, one was skintone 3 and the other skintone 4.

I don't think skintones are weighted in any particular way, it just randomly picks somewhere between the parents skintones (including the parent's skintones themselves) for each child.
Lab Assistant
#56 Old 2nd Jul 2008 at 7:46 PM
weirdest thing happened today...i had a red head (homozygous dominant) and another red head (heterozygous with blond) have a blond kid!? is blond dominant over red? in which case the mom (heterozygous) should've had blond hair...i thought red was dominant, or is it equal to blond?
Test Subject
#57 Old 2nd Jul 2008 at 8:28 PM
Blonde and Red are equal. 50/50 chance of either one when a sim carries both genes. Same for brown and black.
Lab Assistant
#58 Old 2nd Jul 2008 at 8:35 PM
Wait, but if children only wind up with one skintone, then how do some babies end up with their grandparents skintones?
#59 Old 2nd Jul 2008 at 8:56 PM
Quote: Originally posted by sumpsychochic
Wait, but if children only wind up with one skintone, then how do some babies end up with their grandparents skintones?

Good question. That's why I wondered whether the game not only looked at the parents genes, but at the grandparent's genes.
Test Subject
#60 Old 2nd Jul 2008 at 9:25 PM
Nothing in SimPE suggests they do and I personally don't think I've ever really seen that happen either. Seriously, if you look at the data they all have the same gene set in recessive and dominant except for alien sims.

But that's just what I think and know, I'm not the expert on this stuff.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#61 Old 2nd Jul 2008 at 10:14 PM
The only time I remember my sims inheriting a grandparent's skintone was if I had custom skins in there. Fantasyrogue, is the recessive skintone gene the same thing as the figure given for skintone range when you use the SimDNA cheat?
Test Subject
#62 Old 2nd Jul 2008 at 11:31 PM
It probably is, I'd never even heard of this SimDNA cheat until now so I had to google it. The dominant and recessive skintone gene for most sims is the same, a sim with the darkest skintone will have listed a lot of zeros and a 4 on both recessive and dominant. Only alien sims will have one listed as a number between 1-4 and the other will be some collection of numbers and such which probably indicate the green alien skintone.
Scholar
#63 Old 3rd Jul 2008 at 11:54 AM
Considoring the direction this conversation is going, you might find this interesting regarding inheriting skintones from grandparents.

Anyway, in the picture is Ripp (the father) and Dyana (who was born in-game to a CAS-made Sim, and the mother of the twins).

Ripp has dark blue eyes and pale skin, and Dyana has alien skin and light blue eyes.

One twin has inherited her alien skintone and her light blue eyes, whereas the other twin has inherited Ripp's dark blue eyes and has the skintone of Dyana's mother. I think it is evidence that grandparents skintones can be passed down, but only if one parent has dominant alien skintone.

Test Subject
#64 Old 3rd Jul 2008 at 2:00 PM
I forgot that there's another skintone modifier in simpe, the skintoneRange one. That one does come with numbers from both parents (so a sim expressing skintone 3 that has dominant and recessive set as 3 might have a skintone range set as a 1 and a 3). But how it works exactly, I don't really know. Like I said, I don't think I've ever seen a sim inherit a grandparents skintone except for aliens (as mentioned above) and for custom skintones.

Similarly, I wonder how facial features work. What decides what passes on from which parent?
#65 Old 3rd Jul 2008 at 2:10 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Metatwaddle
Has anyone had any success with Nina and Dina Caliente? I found a college dormie who looks just like them, and I'm wondering whether or not to have one of my Sims marry her and have a child with her.

I had Dustin Broke marry Dina Caliente and they had one child Sophie. She is a natural blonde because both parents are blonde.

Skip Broke (Dustin's father) was blonde and it carried onto his three children with Brandi.

In past families that I've played, where the mother has been blonde and the father has been a brunette/blackette, at least one child that they had together were normally blonde (Example)
Scholar
#66 Old 3rd Jul 2008 at 3:30 PM
I've found that Nina's children always looked beautiful/handsome, especially if she had children with Don. They had one kid as part of a consequence of their affair, but after seeing how beautiful their daughter was I made them have several more children in an effort to introduce good genes into Pleasantview! Unfortunatly that was in a previous game, so I have no pictures.

#67 Old 7th Jul 2008 at 2:40 PM
Default My worst luck yet in breeding aliens
I talked a little bit about this family with Moonstream via private message.

Top row: John Nipton and Pollination Technician.

Middle Row: Gina Baena (a townie) and Raphael.

Bottom Row: six kids only one of whom is alien-skinned and even then that's only after trying to "roll the pacifier". From left to right: Scintilla, Plumeria, Frank, Heidi, Dan, Chip.

I guess I'll have to see about finding an alien-skinned spouse for Plumeria for when she is all grown up. :einstein

By the way, John is the son of two CAS sims. I am not sure whether that makes any difference in terms of randomness of offspring or not.
Scholar
#68 Old 8th Jul 2008 at 1:49 PM
If he's the son of two CAS Sims that just means that he'll have both recessive and dominant genes I think, which, I suppose, could mean more variety in offspring as there is more genes to choose from?

Test Subject
#69 Old 9th Jul 2008 at 5:22 AM
See, and I look at it as. "Not everyone is pretty." Sucks to hear that skintones don't get passed down like the rest of the genes. I've got a custom skintone that I want to come up as recessive in family lines. But I guess the kids won't really get a recessive skintone gene unless there is an alien in the line then?
Scholar
#70 Old 9th Jul 2008 at 12:44 PM
Custom skintones always come up as dominant, so you won't ever get a CC skin as recessive, unless its default.

And yes, you can only get a recessive skintone gene if there is an alien in the family, and even then it will only be the alien skintone, yet again, that can be changed if you find a default replacement.

Lab Assistant
#71 Old 9th Jul 2008 at 6:16 PM
Wait, what if there are 2 CAS sims with CC skin? Which one will become dominant? And if one becomes dominant then why does the other not become recessive?
Test Subject
#72 Old 9th Jul 2008 at 6:41 PM
@figgi- I actually used uh SimPE to make the custom skintone show up lower than the whitest white. Man, I hope TS3 has actual recessive skintone genes.

@sumpsychochic- I think then the kid has a 50/50 chance of getting either skintone, like with eye and hair color.
Field Researcher
#73 Old 9th Jul 2008 at 7:31 PM
So, umm, does this mean then that a CC skin would be dominant over an Alien skin? (See avatar pic) So confusing... I'm working on generation 4 (G1 being CaS sims) in my neighborhood and am very curious about genetics in the game.
Forum Resident
#74 Old 9th Jul 2008 at 9:09 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Kaelem Gaen
Sucks to hear that skintones don't get passed down like the rest of the genes.

I agree. I thought I'd read that they did get passed down initially (before Uni?), but that it was changed because players didn't like couples having babies that were much lighter/darker than they were. I wish they were still passed down. Of if they never were passed down, I wish they were (but I thought they had been and that's where the "skintone range" in SimPE came from).
#75 Old 9th Jul 2008 at 9:44 PM
I've found that whenever my (default skinned) babies come out they usually take the darker of their parent's skin-tones. Also in my game, alien sims who breed with 'human' sims, almost always come out with the default alien skintone.
Page 3 of 4