Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
#2701 Old 20th Nov 2015 at 10:28 PM
Hi all,
I'm not only new to this challenge, but the forum too. To introduce myself, I'm Yara and 24 years old, still love to play the sims 2. My old time favorite and have never played sims 3 or 4. Started this challenge a few days ago . Now I'm wondering with this challenge. How do you guys keep on track with their needs? Like feed, going to the toilet and such. Especially in the neanderthal stage? Any tips?
I already get quickly stressed (while trying to be calm and just have fun) when I'm behind on their needs. Especially when a woman is pregnant. I have started playing with the second family a few days ago and will have time to play it again tomorrow can't wait already!
Already started reading the whole topic, but before I'm finished with it, we're weeks further thus decided to just ask the question

Sorry for any huge grammar mistakes, English isn't my native language, Dutch is
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#2702 Old 20th Nov 2015 at 11:12 PM
Quote:
How do you guys keep on track with their needs? Like feed, going to the toilet and such.

Each of my prehistoric households has a shower, a toilet and a sink. For food, they had gardens and a fishing pond in my first attempt. In my second, they go hunt once a day and have berry bushes on their lots, that they can harvest. As for fun, that one might be a little tricky. Especially for pregnant sims who don't really have time for anything but filling up their vital needs. In my first attempt, the waterfall shower helped me quite a lot, because they also gain fun by using it. Generally, lots of playing with other sims helps. If their fun is really low, try to have them play redhands (I think that's how it's called in english? in german it's "Händeklatschen") which fills fun really fast.
If you have trouble with sims overheating, make sure they have a closed room to sleep in and maybe the cold shower mod. Drinking a glass of water reduces the body temperature, so that helps, too.
You might also want to look into getting a no social worker mod for this challenge. Otherwise it might get tricky to keep a lot of children.

And I think that's everything related to needs that comes to my mind right now.

On a related note: It might be a good idea to make a list with important/suggested mods for this challenge? Like the hot/cold shower or the no social worker mod. And/or some list with tips for beginners? That would make starting a lot easier.

Visit My Test of Time Challenge: wordpress & livejournal
Field Researcher
#2703 Old 21st Nov 2015 at 7:08 AM
Quote: Originally posted by oboesapien
@cespencer7, I am so impressed that you've managed to keep the same ToT going this whole time. I've been going for years, too, but I can never seem to make a whole lot of progress. Something always makes or inspires me to restart, and I've never gotten farther than Rome. I wonder if I'll ever get it done!

Has anyone tried to introduce war/conflict to the challenge? I remember reading something a little while ago about a possible plantsim uprising/separate country. I'm curious what you guys think. It seems like both a good way to add more drama and speed up play time (less sims), as well as explore some additional and important historical aspects, but do you think it's in keeping with the challenge's nature? I have a similar question about adding new sims as additional cultures are encountered, captives are brought in, traders arrive, etc. (and I remember reading about someone doing something like this as well). Adds drama and interest (and unrelated sims, oh joy), but it's again against the explicit rules of the challenge. Curious what you all think about that. On one hand, for something this long and ridiculous it seems like there's merit in finding our own ways to make it more fun, but on the other hand there becomes a point when it doesn't seem like one is completing the challenge any more. I'm torn on this, so I'd appreciate others' input.

Yes, I have done both of these things. I the Roman Age, I added new lines since my cousins were having trouble marrying. I considered them to be captured slaves and governors of new territories that had been discovered. Then in the Dark Ages, I add Vikings, and they became the catalyst for wars that occurred and I used the Besieged challenge as a sub-challenge in this game. I found it made the game a lot more interesting and helped me to keep moving along.

In the Medieval Age, (later Dark Ages), I added a sub-challenge to use OFB so my merchants had to try to reach certain goals. I find that without these extra things, the game began to become too routine. I think that the point of the challenge is to have fun with some history and to imagine how our Sims might behave in each age (and to have lots of fun while playing!). Make the challenge whatever you want, cause you'll be playing it for a long time.

I couldn't stay away from my Sims, they help my creative side come out! Taking a break from my RV life to take care of family issues, so Sims helps me to unwind. Let me know what you are up to with your Sims so I can check it out!
Field Researcher
#2704 Old 21st Nov 2015 at 7:16 AM
Quote: Originally posted by xYaartje
Hi all,
I'm not only new to this challenge, but the forum too. To introduce myself, I'm Yara and 24 years old, still love to play the sims 2. My old time favorite and have never played sims 3 or 4. Started this challenge a few days ago . Now I'm wondering with this challenge. How do you guys keep on track with their needs? Like feed, going to the toilet and such. Especially in the neanderthal stage? Any tips?
I already get quickly stressed (while trying to be calm and just have fun) when I'm behind on their needs. Especially when a woman is pregnant. I have started playing with the second family a few days ago and will have time to play it again tomorrow can't wait already!
Already started reading the whole topic, but before I'm finished with it, we're weeks further thus decided to just ask the question

Sorry for any huge grammar mistakes, English isn't my native language, Dutch is

The early years were stressful for me also. I made a little hut with a shower, sink, toilet, a bed and put a simple child's toy inside. I tried to have them sleep in tents but my first family all died of heat stroke and everyone complained constantly of being too smelly. Cooking on a grill also led to fires (a lot of fires) but I assumed that this was probably historically accurate so I let it happen. Go to my "Notes from a Game Player" to see what I wrote about my game play as neanderthals. Use the "A Sims Clan Test of Time" link below.

I couldn't stay away from my Sims, they help my creative side come out! Taking a break from my RV life to take care of family issues, so Sims helps me to unwind. Let me know what you are up to with your Sims so I can check it out!
Test Subject
#2705 Old 21st Nov 2015 at 4:14 PM
TheFlyingRaccoon, first of all, thank you for your reaction! And thank you for your tips too! I'm a person who try not to use any mods, but the tips about playing with other sims to fill fun actually is a really good one! Did not know this !
Having a list with tips for beginners would be a great help !

cespencer, glad I'm not the only who has the stress of filling their needs! Read your notes and am thankful for those tips as well! Using them now, in combination with the tips of TheFlyingRaccoon and that's actually working out pretty well Thanks to the both of you!
Started with the 3rd family today and so far it seems to go well. Funny to see what they can do on their own when you're not controlling them.

Another queastion I wanted to ask. How do you cook or grill fish? I can't seem to find the option.
Lab Assistant
#2706 Old 21st Nov 2015 at 8:59 PM
I think the option appears at lunch and dinner.

Check out my ToT neighborhood Hoohoo. Last updated: February 2, 2020
Family Trees
Instructor
#2707 Old 22nd Nov 2015 at 1:07 AM
It appears at lunch & dinner but if you're using a grill it will appear under Grill... not 'Serve Lunch' or 'Serve Dinner'. If you want to serve fish at breakfast time and you have OFB you can sellect Make -> Group Meal -> Bass with squash. You will have to serve the meal manually. You need to have the fish stocked in the fridge/in the active sim's inventory for any of theser options to show up.

Visit my ToT challenge here.
Field Researcher
#2708 Old 22nd Nov 2015 at 1:47 PM
Also: If you want to have your sims cook fish on their own, it has to be in the fridge. They will only take fish out of their inventory to cook, if you give the command to cook and the fridge has no more fish.

Lab Assistant
#2709 Old 24th Nov 2015 at 2:03 PM
So... I had a visit from the ideal plantsim in one of my lots... That cannot be good.

Do all of you use the clean neighborhood templates?

I decided to play a bit of "Greece", but it won't really adhere that much to the written rules. I also will make different civilizations will probably each be a mix of different cultures. I think it will be fun for me that way.

I have no idea why I deleted my previous post instead of editing it. I need coffee.

Family Trees
Field Researcher
#2710 Old 24th Nov 2015 at 3:10 PM
I replaced the premade hoods with clean versions and disabled all templates to create my custom hoods.

And yeah, ideal plantsim on your lot doesn't sound very healthy. o.O

Lab Assistant
#2711 Old 24th Nov 2015 at 8:41 PM
That's what i planned to do but forgot.

And it does very unhealthy. I've never seen that happen before.
http://i65.tinypic.com/1omvmg.png

Family Trees
Field Researcher
#2712 Old 25th Nov 2015 at 12:44 PM
If you have no other signs of corruption, it could have been just a one time thing and I wouldn't worry too much about it. The only thing that you could do that comes to my mind would be running Moothilda's Hood Checker over your hood.

Lab Assistant
#2713 Old 25th Nov 2015 at 8:22 PM
Quote: Originally posted by TheFlyingRaccoon
If you have no other signs of corruption, it could have been just a one time thing and I wouldn't worry too much about it. The only thing that you could do that comes to my mind would be running Moothilda's Hood Checker over your hood.

Nope, no squiggly lines in thought/speech bubbles, no sims doing magic disappearing acts, no toddlers with aspirations other than the one they should have... you get the idea. lol

I also made sure none of the household members even looked at the ideal plantsim.. just in case. XD

I did run the Hoodchecker and let it "fix" stuff. I'll know when I play again if I have NPCs who should be forever hidden running around again. lol

I also have a question. It will, maybe, sound slightly depraved, but I just need to know... Can aunts/uncles get married to nieces/nephews through the hacked arch like cousins and not create super major problems? My family lines are getting a bit complicated because of ACR and my sims having absolutely no self control. So I need to know. I really have to sit down and make notes on every sim. XD

Family Trees
Field Researcher
#2714 Old 25th Nov 2015 at 9:47 PM
I'm not really familiar with the hacked arch, but if marrying cousins isn't a problem, marrying someone to his niece/nephew shouldn't be a problem either. It's not like in real life, where genetics could be a problem. The restriction is only there for moral reasons and as far as I know it's a simple check for the family flag which enables or disables all romantic interactions. This check is only suspended by the married flag. So, as soon as two sims are married, it doesn't matter anymore whether they were family before or not.

Lab Assistant
#2715 Old 25th Nov 2015 at 9:48 PM
Quote: Originally posted by TheFlyingRaccoon
I'm not really familiar with the hacked arch, but if marrying cousins isn't a problem, marrying someone to his niece/nephew shouldn't be a problem either. It's not like in real life, where genetics could be a problem. The restriction is only there for moral reasons and as far as I know it's a simple check for the family flag which enables or disables all romantic interactions. This check is only suspended by the married flag. So, as soon as two sims are married, it doesn't matter anymore whether they were family before or not.

Okay thanks.

Family Trees
Lab Assistant
#2716 Old 26th Nov 2015 at 10:00 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Lisrouge
Nope, no squiggly lines in thought/speech bubbles, no sims doing magic disappearing acts, no toddlers with aspirations other than the one they should have... you get the idea. lol

I also made sure none of the household members even looked at the ideal plantsim.. just in case. XD

I did run the Hoodchecker and let it "fix" stuff. I'll know when I play again if I have NPCs who should be forever hidden running around again. lol

I also have a question. It will, maybe, sound slightly depraved, but I just need to know... Can aunts/uncles get married to nieces/nephews through the hacked arch like cousins and not create super major problems? My family lines are getting a bit complicated because of ACR and my sims having absolutely no self control. So I need to know. I really have to sit down and make notes on every sim. XD

I hope your hood is okay! :/
About the arch, yes, it works perfectly to marry sims with their aunt and uncles. I think they can even marry their siblings and parents, but I never tried, haha.

Find my Test of Time Challenge here!
Lab Assistant
#2717 Old 26th Nov 2015 at 12:55 PM
Quote: Originally posted by abcbok
I hope your hood is okay! :/
About the arch, yes, it works perfectly to marry sims with their aunt and uncles. I think they can even marry their siblings and parents, but I never tried, haha.

I'm not consciously going to marry them, but since the family lines are so shady and I think everyone in the Fishing side might be related... I might accidentally do it if I'm not thorough, I might just move all G3 teens into one lot and see who's notrelated when they all meet each other. XD

PS: Happy Thanksgiving to those who celebrate it.

Family Trees
Test Subject
#2718 Old 26th Nov 2015 at 3:07 PM
Hello again everyone! Finally got some time to catch up on all of this!
I love the Greek, Egyptian, and silk road ideas! im prob gonna include that now since im just about to enter the roman age (i swear i started this like 2 years ago and ive barely had time to continue it!)

I saw someone post about using spread sheets... that sounds like an awesome idea, but what would you include/how would u organize it? i feel like it would end up being a mess from all of the huge populatoin!

Happy Thanksgiving everyone (in the US) ( ᐛ )و

"Don't mistake coincidence for fate."
~Mr. Eko, LOST
Lab Assistant
#2719 Old 27th Nov 2015 at 12:50 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Melibee1323
Hello again everyone! Finally got some time to catch up on all of this!
I love the Greek, Egyptian, and silk road ideas! im prob gonna include that now since im just about to enter the roman age (i swear i started this like 2 years ago and ive barely had time to continue it!)

I saw someone post about using spread sheets... that sounds like an awesome idea, but what would you include/how would u organize it? i feel like it would end up being a mess from all of the huge populatoin!

Happy Thanksgiving everyone (in the US) ( ᐛ )و

Do you have a blog?

Family Trees
Inventor
#2720 Old 27th Nov 2015 at 3:14 AM
First off, Happy Thanksgiving to everyone who celebrates it. I hope y'all all got to spend time with your families.

Second, to Melibee1323, I use spreadsheets to track my sims, and it can get complimented, but its more picking and choosing how you want to track. I generally have three sheets open when i play, one is just my name database. I copied a bunch of weird names from a name generator and tossed them into a spreadsheet and sorted alphabetically. Once I use a name I move it over to a column designated for each Gen, just to keep track of how many sims use a letter in a generation, so that I spread the names out a bit. Still haven's used the one "Z" name yet, but I'm looking for a set of parents who might name their child "Zonohoper". My second spreadsheet tracks who is in each generation, how they scored at Teen Camp and who is paired with who (and from Gen 3 on, who they can't marry based on maternal bloodlines) I'd rather not marry cousins to each other yet if I have any chance of avoiding it. And the third sheet, oh the third sheet. That one tracks everything else I feel like tracking. On page one, is my rankings, determined from info I input and ranked with formulas. There's a picture of it somewhere in this thread in the last few pages. Page two tracks family friends and is generally updated in real-time since i play in windowed mode. One of the columns on page one takes info from this page. Page three pulls info from page one and four to determine the last name rankings, and Page four is simply me copy/pasting stuff from page three and deleting duplicates that appear in each last name's list. Page five is list of who lives where, mostly for ease of updating page two since I never remember just where each person lives. Page six tracks every sim, including age, gender and parents. Page seven just counts data on page six to help me get the round statistics you see on each round page. It takes a while to set up, especially when I decide i want to track something new, but the upkeep doesn't take much time at all. ~VP

I'll stop being anti-social when the rest of the world quits being idiots!

My Own Website! www.violetpadfootscreations.weebly.com
Test Subject
#2721 Old 27th Nov 2015 at 6:34 AM
Hey everyone and happy late thanksgiving to those in the US (it's about 27 minutes from midnight here by the west coast. i'm an hour earlier than i'm used to from the time zone switch for break...) I'm especially thankful that during this week-long break i've finally made enough progress that the end of my current round will be the end of the neanderthal era. also using SimPE to make the teen stage only 10 days instead of 15 really sped it up.

Does anyone who has already played the roman era have any suggestions of ways to make it interesting? I've already decided on making families in which the head male's skin color is 1 or 2 to be roman, and skin 3 or 4 to be Egyptian (to keep race out of it, but using same social classes and everything but using a pharaoh instead of an emperor for egypt). also any links to designs for the new community buildings?

Westeria Sims 2 Test of Time: http://westeriatestoftime.wordpress.com
Lab Assistant
#2722 Old 27th Nov 2015 at 2:11 PM
I use a mod which makes the teen stage last 8 days.

You could try checking here .for buildings.

Family Trees
Test Subject
#2723 Old 27th Nov 2015 at 5:20 PM
@Lisrouge I dont for TOT yet, but im thinkin about making one over winter break when I have time

@VioletPadfoot that is suuper useful! I used to write things down on a few pieces of paper, but they hav been long lost now.

I think im actually gonna start over since my maps a bit too small for the population boom that just happened and im starting to lose track of who is who and all that stuff since i havent played in a while
So ill definitely do a blog of sorts and the spreadsheet method for when I start over! (*^-^*)

"Don't mistake coincidence for fate."
~Mr. Eko, LOST
Lab Assistant
#2724 Old 27th Nov 2015 at 11:11 PM

I'd love to read it when you do.

Family Trees
Test Subject
#2725 Old 28th Nov 2015 at 7:37 AM
[QUOTE=Melibee1323]@Lisrouge I dont for TOT yet, but im thinkin about making one over winter break when I have time
I think im actually gonna start over since my maps a bit too small for the population boom that just happened and im starting to lose track of who is who and all that stuff since i havent played in a while

What i'm planning on doing for the roman and later eras is use the little "sim bio" thing found on the tab where it shows their personalities. i'm gonna put class rank, skin/hair colors, religions, and profession/craft specialty when applicable, and also any story-line plans i have for them. just so i don't have to keep it all on a whole different document.

(sorry for the deleted post. i accidentally deleted the part where it made the quote for melibee)

Westeria Sims 2 Test of Time: http://westeriatestoftime.wordpress.com
Page 109 of 128