Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 14th Mar 2010 at 9:34 AM Last edited by sims_reality : 14th Mar 2010 at 9:52 AM.
Default Texturing...stuck...help....
I've posted simillar thread before, but since that doesn't seem to work, I'll post again, in more detail...

I think this must be a UV mapping problem; whenever I try to texture my mushroom mesh, it looks horribly weird....textures all over the place....I posted my UV map and a screen shot of the error message I got when I was trying to recompile my MLOD/MODL files.

PS. I am not sure but I think my UV map size is incorrect....if I'm correct does anybody know how to resize your UV map so it will fit your completely new mesh???
Screenshots
Advertisement
Alchemist
#2 Old 14th Mar 2010 at 3:16 PM
That error indicates that something on the map is mapped out of bounds...that is it's mapped <0.0 or >1.0.

Where did the mesh that you're working with come from and how was it mapped? You had indicated before that you were working with TSRW...has this mesh already been run through that tool and now you're running it through this set of tools?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 18th Mar 2010 at 4:32 PM Last edited by HugeLunatic : 18th Mar 2010 at 7:57 PM. Reason: merging posts
Quote: Originally posted by orangemittens
That error indicates that something on the map is mapped out of bounds...that is it's mapped <0.0 or >1.0.

Where did the mesh that you're working with come from and how was it mapped? You had indicated before that you were working with TSRW...has this mesh already been run through that tool and now you're running it through this set of tools?

This is a completely a new mesh and I've used milkshape3D and mapped it with the UV mapper classic....and I gave up on working with the TSR workshop...I followed the meshing tutorial by Flabaliki.

Ooops, I almost forgot to ask...in the tutorial by Flabaliki, it told me that the UV map size should be 512...but that obviously isn't working for my new mesh...what I wanted to ask is; how do you determine your UV map size?
Alchemist
#4 Old 18th Mar 2010 at 10:19 PM
To determine the size of your map let the original clone's IMG's be your guide uness you want to change the tiling on the thing in s3pe's Grid. So if the original is a rectangle yours should be too and if the original is square yours should be square.

If you change the shape of the map you'll probably end up having to remap (to distort your mapping to fit the distortion the IMG is gonna cause to how patterns are applied to your object in-game) or change the tiling to match the new IMG shape. You will also have to change the shape of all the IMG's for the object I think.

If you keep the shape the same and just make the IMG bigger or smaller you'll probably have to edit the mtlsrc's to fix the blurriness that results from that as well.

Could you post a picture from Milkshape's texture coordinator editor that shows how your map is sitting on the IMG?

When you say it's a completely new mesh do you mean simply that you made it yourself or that this particular mesh/clone has never been run through any other tool other than the most current versions of all 3 tools?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#5 Old 19th Mar 2010 at 7:07 AM
Quote: Originally posted by orangemittens
To determine the size of your map let the original clone's IMG's be your guide uness you want to change the tiling on the thing in s3pe's Grid. So if the original is a rectangle yours should be too and if the original is square yours should be square.

If you change the shape of the map you'll probably end up having to remap (to distort your mapping to fit the distortion the IMG is gonna cause to how patterns are applied to your object in-game) or change the tiling to match the new IMG shape. You will also have to change the shape of all the IMG's for the object I think.

If you keep the shape the same and just make the IMG bigger or smaller you'll probably have to edit the mtlsrc's to fix the blurriness that results from that as well.

Could you post a picture from Milkshape's texture coordinator editor that shows how your map is sitting on the IMG?

When you say it's a completely new mesh do you mean simply that you made it yourself or that this particular mesh/clone has never been run through any other tool other than the most current versions of all 3 tools?

Well....to tell you the truth, I don't know how to use the texture cordordinate editor...I thought they were unnessesary if you had the UV mpper...and when I say 'completely new mesh' I simply mean that I made it myself...
Alchemist
#6 Old 19th Mar 2010 at 9:57 PM
So then what other tools was the mesh run through before this? Other versions than the newest from the tools here? TSRW? Is the clone you're using from the newest version of the tools here?

I wanted to see it in MS's texture coordinator editor because I don't use that thing you're using and looking at the map it shows means basically nothing to me. To use MS's texture coordinator editor (TCE) just bring your mesh into MS and select it. Go to the Materials tab and click new/none/and navigate to your IMG. Once you've selected it you can just click Assign and the texture of the IMG will show up on your object. Then you can open the TCE with your mesh still selected and see how the map looks on the IMG.

It might be easier if you just post the mesh and the IMG you're trying to apply onto it. Also the package of the clone you're trying to use to make this object with.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#7 Old 20th Mar 2010 at 12:41 PM
I've created this object using the UV mapper classic, object cloner, sim3PE, Object tool, milkshape and photoshop. The object I cloned is the statue venus. I posted pictures of my mesh and the image I'm using.

p.s. You said 'I don't use what you use'...but I thought we all needed some sort of UV mapper to map your object...or does Texture cordinate edititor maps them for you?? By the way, I've followed Wes Howe's meshing tutorial( http://www.modthesims.info/wiki.php...Meshing_Part_IV )and he also seems to be using the UV mapper classic... Any way, thanks for answering.
Screenshots
Inventor
#8 Old 20th Mar 2010 at 1:06 PM
Sims reality, OM sure will help you further, but your mesh is not UVmapped right.
You can take a look at this tutorial how to map your sphere, they are kind of difficult and special to do.

Tutorial: How to UV Map a Sphere from Rapsheba555
http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=323671

If you want to learn more about meshing in Milkshape, you also can look for other tutorials that are written for The Sims2, but are still very usefull for TS3.
Alchemist
#9 Old 20th Mar 2010 at 1:07 PM
Looking at the way the dots are sitting on your map it looks like one problem is that the dots are sitting all the way up to the top line, all the way down to the bottom line, and all the way to the lefthand margin line. Change the map slightly to pull the edges of your mapping off the edges of the map and try again.

I've had to map to the edge like that once in order to get something to tile correctly but the mushroom object doesn't need to tile so you shouldn't have any adverse effects by just scootching the pixels over a slight amount to get them off the edge of the map. If you do want to map to the edge like that, it's possible to fix the code prior to recompile so that you don't get the error message but it's a pain to do it and since you don't need to why bother?

Is the clone you made of the Venus statue cloned and decompiled with the most recent versions of the tools? I know a few people have gotten the error message you got from trying to use a new mesh but putting it over a clone they made before the tools were updated. If the clone is an old clone you'll need to reclone and re-decompile to make the error message go away.

I do my mapping with Milkshape. I know a lot of people use UV Mapper Classic, and it probably is a superior method but I've never figured out how to use it very well. Milkshape mapping is very easy to learn and gets the job done for me.

If you look at the fourth panel in Milkshape, the panel where your mushroom is sitting with the texture applied to it, you can get a preview of how the object will look in the game with your map guiding how patterns will show up on it. If you look at the mushroom you can see that your map is going to cause the part of the IMG you want to be the top and parts of the IMG that you intend for the sides all to appear on the top part of your mushroom. This isn't causing the error message but it is going to cause that mushroom to have pattern applied incorrectly in the game I think.

Cocomama is right, you could improve this appearance by remapping the mushroom.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#10 Old 20th Mar 2010 at 2:28 PM
Yes!!!Yes!!!YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's W.O.R.K.I.N.G~~~~!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Well, the textures are a bit stretched and broken (I don't know why....do you???) but at least they are at their correct places. Now all I need to do is fix the textures learn how to create custom thumbnails, find correct object to clone(It turned out that statue venus had only 2 recolorable channels...but I need 3 channels for my mushroom..) and then, I shall, finally be ready for my first upload. Thanks for every thing Orangemittens and Cocomama.
Alchemist
#11 Old 20th Mar 2010 at 2:51 PM
I'm glad it's working What fix did you do that made it work? To tell you why the pattern is stretched and broken I'd need to know that and also see the object's map placed over the IMG in MS how you showed it before. If you want, I can look at it all at once if you upload your object so I can look at it in my MS.

You may not need a custom thumbnail...in-game what does your thumbnail look like? The game should auto-generate one for you and it may end up that you like what it gives you.

It's possible to enable the third recolorable channel on the object you have. Cmo wrote a tutorial on how to do that and it's pretty easy to do.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#12 Old 21st Mar 2010 at 6:44 AM Last edited by sims_reality : 21st Mar 2010 at 1:50 PM.
Oh no... when I said it was 'working', I meant that it was working in the milkshape... unfortunately it does not work in game...the top part is visible, but the stem is completely invisible..what have I done wrong?? I first thought that it was because there was no third channel, however, even when I enabled the third channel, it did not work....this is weird...

P.S..Also the shadows are a bit weird...is there an easier method of generating shadows???

edit: Oh, and also the textures...they are broken in places...

sorry for asking you too much questions...

And...thanks for answering all these questions and being so patient :D.
Screenshots
Alchemist
#13 Old 21st Mar 2010 at 2:04 PM
How many groups does the original object have and how many does yours have? Are they in the same order as the groups the original had? It's hard to say exactly what's going on with the pattern breakage just from a single picture...but it looks like the top of the mushroom and the rim of the top of the mushroom are two separate pieces that are mapped to two separate spots on the map. If you want the pattern to seamlessly go over both those parts you're going to have to map them so they are adjacent to one another on the map.

Again, the easiest way to tell you what's gone wrong with the mushroom is for you to upload the object so someone can look at it.

The sunshadows EA gave us for this game are a complete pain but unfortunately we're stuck with 'em...there is no way I know of to alter them other than to change the MLOD2 and MLOD3. There are some objects that will respond very well to this and generate a nice sunshadow. There are others that won't. And you can't tell which is what until you try it.

You're not asking too many questions...don't worry about it
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
#14 Old 21st Mar 2010 at 2:55 PM
Just enabling the third channel won't make it show up. You also need to make sure your mask has the three channels mapped, this is the RGB Img file. If you have one channel it is all red, if you have two then you have Red and Green, if it is three then you have Red, Green, and Blue.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#15 Old 21st Mar 2010 at 3:40 PM
My RGB mask does have 3 channels...Red, Green,and Blue all painted nicely...I tried this again on TSR workshop, but it didn't work there too...perhaps I need to switch my base object to something that has 3channels...
Alchemist
#16 Old 21st Mar 2010 at 3:48 PM
I don't think the issue is a channel problem. Even if your IMG wasn't painted in three colors that shouldn't cause a portion of your object to be invisible...it would come into the game with the portion you had put onto the new channel visible but still taking the pattern of the other channel.

This is some other problem. Are your groups in the right order? When you recompiled did you get any errors?

How many IMG's does the original clone have? Is it possible that this is some kind of alpha problem?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#17 Old 23rd Mar 2010 at 2:29 PM Last edited by sims_reality : 4th Apr 2010 at 6:56 AM.
Ooops...thanks for reminding me about the groups...the stem was in the wrong group..so silly of me to forget such a basic thing...XD.

edit: I've almost finished...but there is a hitch... my mushroom stem appears properly now, butt for some reason, it develops weird shadings..look.

Is there a way to fix this? Or do I have to make the whole thing again???

edit: sorry to be so late... anyway, I've fixed the problem and my mushrooms are uploaded here on the mts!
Screenshots