Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 13th Aug 2010 at 3:37 PM
Default Books that make you cry
So we've got a 'movies that make you cry' and 'songs that make you cry', but no topic about books that make you cry! I figured since quite a lot of us are bookworms that there would already be a topic like this, but I couldn't see one (if I've managed to skip over it then please tell me!).

Sooo, what books bring out the tears?

PS I Love You had me sobbing, and every Harry Potter since the Goblet of Fire (you've known the characters for ten years, when they die it's like losing a real person lol). I'm sure there's more but I can't remember them now, shall add to this list as they come to me.
Advertisement
Inventor
#2 Old 13th Aug 2010 at 3:43 PM
I cried all through Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. I'm going to see the last two films twice, the first time I will be sobbing over my popcorn and possible the person sitting in front of me. I just cry now knowing they are the last films. I cry seeing the trailer. So help me, I cry when someone says the words 'avada kedavra', which actually surprisingly comes up a lot in my conversations.

I cried at the 3rd Maximum Ride book when one of the characters died. I almost cried at the 4th one because it was so BAD.
I almost cried at Private Peaceful. We read the ending at school and everyone was almost in tears.

Darkness thrives in the void,
but always yields to purifying light.

My Tumblr
Mad Poster
#3 Old 13th Aug 2010 at 3:59 PM
SPOILERS ABOUND

-Everything is Illuminated. No matter how many rereads, I come unglued every time Safran talks to The Dial.
-Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close, when Oscar envisions his father going backwards through 9/11.
-The History of Love, when Leo goes through his son's house after his funeral and when he meets Alma in the park.
-The Story of Edgar Sawtelle, when Edgar and Almondine are reunited.
-Ulysses, at that monstrous run-on sentence of an ending.
-Brideshead Revisited, when Sebastian tells Charles that he should never have brought him to Brideshead.

Do I dare disturb the universe?
| tumblr | My TS3 Photos |
Top Secret Researcher
#4 Old 13th Aug 2010 at 4:30 PM
One book that really got me was The Lies of Locke Lamora. I was perfectly fine when my favourite characters died, but when their friends were avenging their deaths, I was crying my heart out. I kept weeping for a good half an hour after I finished the book, too.
Oh, and then there's Let the Right One In, Lacke's breakdown was heart-wrenching.
Edit: HARRY Freakin' POTTER, pretty much all of the books, several times.

Don't you wanna fly so high above the clouds and trees,
Learn a thing from birds and bees ,
See the morning rise over the ocean up ahead?

tumblr|lastfm
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#5 Old 13th Aug 2010 at 5:10 PM
Remembered another, possibly weird, one: Pet Semetary...

Oh Zela, bless your cottons! Deathly Hallows was uber sad so I can empathise with you there, so much emotion *sobs as remembers all the characters that got killed off*.
Theorist
#6 Old 13th Aug 2010 at 6:26 PM
WARNING: SPOILER ALERT!

I've never cried at a book, but tbf I only tend to read silly sarcastic stuff.

One of the only books I've ever got close to crying at is The Hunchback of Notre Dame (which I STILL haven't finished yet) in three places:
- When Esmeralda is tortured and they generally just go "You're a gypsy, a woman and you have a goat. That means you must be a witch. There'll be no fair trial and we'll just torture until you confess."
- When Claude Frollo confesses his love for Esmeralda. Jesus Christ, that part is emotional!
- When Jehan is killed by Quasimodo. I was like "OMG, NOT JEHAN!" because he made me lol and I love his character. I adore the way he's all "Oh brother dearest, give me some money" and then Frollo's like "OMG NO, GTFO!" and then Jehan's all "Pfft, I'll go become a truand and steal it then" and then Frollo's like "FINE, but this is the last time, damnit!"

I've got up to the bit just after Jehan's death, and I know there's some sad Clopin stuff and Clopin's death to come. I WILL DEFINITELY CRY.

I almost cried at the end of Deathly Hallows as well when it pretty much went through all the dead characters. I was like "OMGWHATNO!" at almost the whole list.

OMAR'S BAMFERIFIC!
Be THERE or be SQUARE.
Lab Assistant
#7 Old 14th Aug 2010 at 3:38 AM
SPOILERS AHEAD.

I cried during Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, Goblet of Fire (when him and Cedric meet up with Voldemort killsme), Order of The Phoenix when Sirius died, HBP when Snape killed Dumbledore and of course all through DH.
I lost it towards the Shining too. When Jack regained control of himself and told Danny to run and remember how much he loved him, and when at the end, Hallorann is comforting Danny.

You know that place between sleep and awake? The place where you can still remember dreaming? That’s where I’ll always love you. That’s where I’ll be waiting.
Rubric Wrangler
#8 Old 14th Aug 2010 at 12:56 PM
SPOILERS

I only cried twice for the entire Harry Potter series, when Dumbledore died there were a few tears, but I cried way harder for when Hedwig was killed. (yeah, I'm an animal lover through-and-through )

The meadows are in bloom:
who has ever seen such insolence?

simblr
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#9 Old 14th Aug 2010 at 1:19 PM
SPOILER

^ I can understand being upset over Hedwig, she was completely innocent and I think it even more upsetting because she was like Harry's best friend (even though she was an owl) and he didn't really get time to grieve for her because it happened in the middle of them being attacked. Poor Hedwig
Mad Poster
#10 Old 14th Aug 2010 at 1:24 PM
SPOILER ALERT
Harry Potter -
Goblet of Fire: When Cedric died I teared up.
Order of the Phoenix: I cry so much whenever I read Sirius' death.
Half-Blood Prince: Dumbledore's death makes me bawl like a baby. It's horrendous.
Deathly Hallows: Lupin, Tonks, Hedwig, Fred, Collin, Snape!, when Harry goes to meet Voldemort and he has the Resurrection Stone, when he's looking back through Snape's memories, the entire book.

The Lovely Bones: This book is so lovely but still so sad!
Cloudstreet: Gosh, I didn't think I got so emotionally attached to the characters as I did. The ending, whilst beautiful, makes me cry whenever I re-read it.