Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 30th Oct 2010 at 4:40 PM
Default Random people in my (pent)house?
Whenever Im in my penthouse, random people get off the elevator and just stroll on in as if they live there. Could it be because I deleted the "hidden" rooms in my penthouse to make extra space? Tis deleting includes deleting the door leading to the hidden room, as wel as the silver hidden room ball.

I have kept the silver public room ball near the elevator on the penthouse floor, but I have tried to delete it once. If i do this whenever guests come to visit, they just stay in the elevator, and never come up. So, I had to place the public room ball thing by the elevator again. But people still come up all the time. What should I do?
Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 30th Oct 2010 at 5:28 PM
I think you should move your sims out and turn it into a night club. Sorry, just kidding. It sounds like the penthouse is now under a public room marker. How that happened I couldn't say but it must have occured when you where renovating -- perhaps something to do with the vesitbule off the elevator I'm guessing? Does your elevator open into the penthouse apt? Or does it still have its own vestibule (public area)?
I think there aren't suppose to be any markers for the private living space (apt) of your sims.

It's Life...there are no rules.
You can see more of my creations at www.customsims3.com
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 30th Oct 2010 at 5:30 PM
Hmm....I really am not sure,
I'm just afraid to delete the public room marker again in case the game glitches, and people cant come up and visit.
Scholar
#4 Old 30th Oct 2010 at 5:33 PM
Does the elevator open into the PH?

Test Subject
#5 Old 30th Oct 2010 at 5:39 PM
Paparazzi will sometimes enter your house as they please. If its non-paparazzi then make sure you have a public marker in the lobby between the lift and your penthouse frontdoor. You also need a public marker placed within the lift.
Scholar
#6 Old 30th Oct 2010 at 5:42 PM
Quote: Originally posted by remizov
Paparazzi will sometimes enter your house as they please. If its non-paparazzi then make sure you have a public marker in the lobby between the lift and your penthouse frontdoor. You also need a public marker placed within the lift.

If the public marker is in the lift but the lift opens into the penthouse can the sims still go into the apt randomly? Just wondering If I can make an apt with the lift opening tinto it.

Test Subject
#7 Old 30th Oct 2010 at 5:51 PM Last edited by remizov : 30th Oct 2010 at 6:15 PM.
I tried that because I wanted a quicker route to lobby and underground car park I created so I wouldn't be late for work - but it didn't work...had random people going in without buzzing in.

You could try "reversing" it and make a private entrance in the downstairs lobby with a direct lift (with no markers in lifts) into your apartment. Might test that now!

Edit:

Just created what I described quickly to show the concept:

Private lift to the left and public lift to the right (showing marker)

Private lift to the left and public lift to the right (showing marker)

Scholar
#8 Old 30th Oct 2010 at 6:09 PM Last edited by suzetter : 30th Oct 2010 at 6:59 PM.
Ah, great minds think alike. Let me know if reversing it worked. Thanks, and good luck!

Remizov, that looks great! I had wanted to do that but wasn't sure how to go about it. oh, cool. Thanks for figuring that out and sharing.

Test Subject
Original Poster
#9 Old 30th Oct 2010 at 6:41 PM
@ remizov
thanks!
that looks like a great idea.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#10 Old 30th Oct 2010 at 7:04 PM
okay. I've tried remizov's idea, but I am not sure if I did it correctly.
here are some pictures to show you.

The elevator on the left is the private and the one on the right is public

Here are both of the public markers, inside the public elevator, and by the public elevator

Inside of my home

Elevator to the back is the public elevator, and the elevator to the front, opening directly into the house is the private one

Public elevator has a public marker in it. There is also a public marker into the place it opens into.

Okay. there are my pictures.

and I have encountered one problem...

When I tell my sim to GO HOME,
the sim goes to the lobby part of the high rise, walks to the private elevator, opens the door to the elevator and stops.
It's as if the sim thinks he/she is already home.
he/she doesnt even board the elevator, he/she just stays in the lobby.
Test Subject
#11 Old 30th Oct 2010 at 7:15 PM
Hmm, yeah that might be an unavoidable problem with this system...I'll try a few things out to see if I can find a workaround
Scholar
#12 Old 30th Oct 2010 at 10:10 PM
Hmm, interesting... any chance it could be stupid sim syndrome?

I have a sim who stops at the small enclosed triangular garden at the front entrance of her building when I send her home rather than just heading up to her apartment. Even if she has to fill a need (wee, pass out asleep, etc) she first walks through the gate into the garden before heading up (has apple tree, etc, & garlic -- to keep the vamps away? haha) What makes it particularly weird is that she has the "hate the outdoors" trait. The apt building has not been altered so I just assumed it was a "stupid Sim" thing. I'll take a look at the entrance while in buydebug mode later on but the NPC's go right up which makes me think it's just that particular sim.

Test Subject
Original Poster
#13 Old 30th Oct 2010 at 10:14 PM
@remizov

Any luck?
No rush intended.

But, I did try a few things, like put the public marker elsewhere, but that didnt work.
I am however trying one thing.

Here's a picture.

So, my elevator opens into a "public room" and that room leads into another via double doors that cant be edited, since, they are attached toa public room. (That's what I think)

The second set of doors are mine, which I can lock if I want.

So far this has worked.
People I call can walk in, and no random people have came in..yet...

Ill continue testing.
Test Subject
#14 Old 30th Oct 2010 at 11:03 PM
With the downstairs private lobby the Sim's house "starts" there so they will return home to that point rather to the desired apartment level - which I annoying but I guess I could live with that rather than random people entering my apartment. I guess you just need to wait for fix from EA or mod.
Field Researcher
#15 Old 2nd Nov 2010 at 10:50 PM Last edited by jerin8 : 3rd Nov 2010 at 1:21 AM. Reason: update
This thread has been very helpful. but has anyone used the elevators in a private home? The sims that live there have no problem but it seems that no one outside the family will use them. I really can't find the space for TWO elevator shafts. I noticed that if I add the public marker to the elevators that I can no longer build or buy in the areas that they open up to (without a cheat) so the property is no longer considered mine. This could be a real pain in the schnoozle for parties!

update: so I just added public markers inside and just outside the elevators. Party went on as planned. elevators where used by all. Bartenders stay till around 4am. But I hired them before I placed the markers, so not sure how that will play out in the next party. The sims that live in the house have the "go home" arrow by their name when in one of those rooms but that has no effect. Because the elevator entrance is within a private house there is no issue with uninvited guests. I'll update on my next party. See what happens with the bartenders. O to build just use the cheat "build on this lot" from testingcheatsenabled in those areas of the house.
Field Researcher
#16 Old 2nd Nov 2010 at 11:37 PM
I haven't actually tried any of this, but couldn't you make a second "lobby" that's actually part of your apartment and make the public elevator skip your floor?
Field Researcher
#17 Old 3rd Nov 2010 at 1:22 AM
qpldmff how would your friends come see you? gotta have a public elevator. They wont use the private one.
Instructor
#18 Old 3rd Nov 2010 at 4:05 AM
Forget these elevators, you need to hire some building security staff to keep out these intruders. Can you assign bouncers to your penthouse doors?

NOTE: And, honestly, I'll just got out and buy the game right now if you seriously can. That'd be awesome!
Field Researcher
#19 Old 3rd Nov 2010 at 4:23 AM
Quote: Originally posted by jerin8
qpldmff how would your friends come see you? gotta have a public elevator. They wont use the private one.

I suppose that you could make the lobby a private room but the elevator in a public room?
Test Subject
#20 Old 3rd Nov 2010 at 7:18 AM
I deleted the public marker in my penthouse lobby and it's working fine. No more random sims appearing.

The elevator (with public space marker on both ends) works for visitors and residents right up to the penthouse.

I had also moved the npc doors to the lobby for convenience in redesigning the place.
Lab Assistant
#21 Old 3rd Nov 2010 at 8:13 PM Last edited by Mikikitty : 3rd Nov 2010 at 8:31 PM.
Thanks for the tips with the elevator.

I have another thing, though. The buzzer (or whatever it's called) which with you can call other people living in your apartment building... according to that buzzer, I have 15 people living in that building. Is it because I only started a completely empty neighbourhood (with no more than two apartment buildings, since I only wanted to do some testing), or is that some funny bug?

edit: Tested by placing apartments in Sunset Valley, same thing... and most of these Sims I can spawn outside the lot. Why is that? (Also, is it normal that they just vanish in front of the elevator like in front of a rabbit hole?)

I play Sims in German, so I apologize in advance for any "funny/wrong English term" I might use when describing something about the game. ;)
Field Researcher
#22 Old 3rd Nov 2010 at 9:34 PM
Yeah that's normal.