Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Site Helper
Original Poster
#1 Old 13th Mar 2010 at 11:17 PM
Default Clean Installer
Now that I have the source code for the Clean Installer V1.6, I thought that I'd move discussion, requests, etc here with the other tools. Note that I have also received permission to publish the source code under GPL2, but I want to get it compiled and tested before that.

So far, I haven't been able to get the project to build.

Missing resources:
FormNew.resx
WinForm.resx

Missing projects:
FileTypes
S2PCISE
SimsDirectories

If Karol can't supply these, then I believe that they can be recreated from scratch.
Advertisement
Site Helper
Original Poster
#2 Old 14th Mar 2010 at 11:13 PM Last edited by Mootilda : 8th Feb 2011 at 6:47 PM. Reason: "he" is a she
Default Status Update
I received the missing projects, found one of the missing forms, and recreated the other from scratch. Everything is now compiling and running, but has not been tested.

I won't have much time for testing this month. If anyone would like to help me by testing this in the interim, please let me know.

Just be aware that I have no idea how much testing phervers did before giving me the source code (she probably doesn't even remember, herself) and I haven't done extensive testing either. There is a possibility of major bugs; you should expect to backup before using and be prepared for problems.
Site Helper
Original Poster
#3 Old 18th Mar 2010 at 11:57 PM Last edited by Mootilda : 26th Nov 2012 at 2:07 AM.
Default Sims2Pack Clean Installer To-Do List
Please note: The new To-Do List starts at post #35:
http://www.modthesims.info/showthre...849#post4015849

As with all of my programs, my first priority is fixing bugs. I am also interested in restoring functionality which was in a previous version of S2PCI, but is missing in the 1.6.x source code. Finally, I'll work on implementing new features.

To Do List:

Bugs:

- "Install All" should be renamed to something which mentions The Sims 2.

- Remove Administrator requirement: S2PCI currently uses HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE. That should probably be changed to HKEY_CURRENT_USER. As well, I believe that it always expects write permission, although it probably only requires read access.

- Investigate the (fairly rare) issue: "A previous version of Sims2pack Clean Installer. You have to uninstall the old version first! Do you want to do this now?" Why do some of the registry entries remain after the program is uninstalled? Are people doing something wrong during uninstall, such as running the uninstall from a non-administrative account? Is this an issue with NSI? Can it be resolved by removing all existing registry entries before installing?

Missing Features:

- More work on the new recognition algorithm: better recognition of existing types, more types, better text names.

Installation of S2PCI

- Allow user to force an install even if the previous uninstall failed.
- Add a "features / options" screen to the install process, so that people could decide whether they want a Desktop shortcut, a Start Menu shortcut, or the "Install all" ability.
- Do not setup the "Install all" ability on systems which cannot support it (64-bit?).

New Features:

- Try to resolve problems created by incorrect usage. Specifically, removing individual sims will cause neighborhood corruption; perhaps the user should only be able to remove all sims included with a lot or none of them. Later, unchecking a sim could remove all memories, relationships, and family ties with that sim, or change them to point to the "mystery sim".

Ref: (please note that these threads are recommending a technique which will cause neighborhood corruption)
http://www.flyingacres.com/Neighbor...ead.php?tid=780
http://www.flyingacres.com/Neighbor...ead.php?tid=868

- Add filename as a column in the listbox. [Done]
- Give people the ability to rename files. [Done]
- Give people the ability to copy the file name and / or text name to the clipboard.
- Allow the user to specify a different The Sims 2 directory; make program work correctly with AnyGameStarter. [in process]
- Allow people to specify subdirectories within the default Downloads location.
- Now that MTS supports 7zip files, it would be nice if the Clean Installer would support them.
- Would be nice to have an "Install All Sims 2" context menu for ZIP, RAR, and 7Z files, since these compressed files are functionally equivalent to directories.
- Install package files by moving to correct location; only if double click on package file?
- Get working on the MAC. [in process - no install version currently has problems determining location of save games]
- Update GUI?
- Save preview pictures with a right-click.
- Multi-install should have a window displayed during processing:
. - Cancel button to stop processing. Display what we have so far? [Done]
. - Display directory and / or filename currently being processed.
. - Progress bar. Note: difficult to estimate the amount of work to be done until it has been done.
. - Check for low memory condition and stop before it becomes a major issue.
. - Process Sims2Packs one at a time, rather than all at once. [Done]

Done:

- Resolve a problem where removing some CC and saving the Sims2Pack with a new name results in all empty packages.
Ref: http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=371687

- Resolve the problem where people are attempting to install nothing. Error or warning message if there is nothing to install. Grey out Install button. Alternative: if attempt to install .package, move to correct directory.
Ref: http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=392071
Status: Fixed in V1.6.2, although we still might want to consider the alternative.

- Allow overwrite Sims2Pack by creating temporary file during write (another "empty package" issue).

- Get multi-install working again.
Ref: http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=118017

- If path is too long, give user some indication of which file has the error.
Ref: http://www.modthesims.info/download...499#post3231499
(Post #18 in the download thread)

- Blank name displayed for some CC.
Ref: http://www.modthesims.info/download...469#post3232469
(Post #36 in the download thread)

- Get tooltips working properly.
Ref: http://www.modthesims.info/download...862#post3235862
(Post #50 in the download thread)
Note: The tooltips stopped working during the transition from .NET 1 to .NET 2. Filename tooltips are conflicting with standard listbox behavior, which displays full column contents for truncated columns. Therefore, only the checkbox will have the filename tooltip.

- Resolve thread safety issues with -n, -m, and other command line options.

- Sounds like there is a problem when installing lots which contain non-alphanumeric characters:
http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=458002
Site Helper
Original Poster
#4 Old 14th Apr 2010 at 2:03 AM Last edited by Mootilda : 14th Apr 2010 at 4:16 PM.
Default Status Report
Status of project:

- Code is compiling; missing forms have been recreated.
- Installation executable created correctly using NSIS.
- Installation of the Clean Installer works correctly, except:
- - Website is still Sims2Pack.ModTheSims2.com
- - Update check is incorrect
- - It's very annoying that my explorer windows disappear during uninstall.

Note: I will either have to get control of the website, create a new website, or remove the website update feature.

Unfortunately, I have received the source code for V1.6, rather than V1.5.1.4. As far as I can tell, this source code has not received very thorough testing; likely, the code wasn't yet complete. Problems found to date:

- First lot that I tried to install (AngelF's CSH #1) had an unhandled exception

- Found many places where "&" (bitwise AND) is incorrectly used; should be "&&" (logical AND)

- Return code -1 (not found) from STRL.Languages.IndexOfCode is not handled correctly, resulting in invalid array access.

- Incorrect calls across threads; unsafe.

- New recognition algorithm appears to be incomplete. Unfortunately, I don't have access to the old recognition algorithm.

I'm working through these problems to get a stable build that I can release for general testing.
Site Helper
Original Poster
#5 Old 2nd Jul 2010 at 6:50 AM Last edited by Mootilda : 7th Jul 2010 at 12:45 AM.
Status of project:
- Asked Delphy to take over the web site.
- Version 1.6 (basically the source code that I was given, except that it's now working) is in the acceptance queue.
- Fix for empty package issue with non-ascii file names is on my machine and being tested. If my upload is accepted, I'll update fairly soon with this fix.
- More work on the recognition algorithms.
- Better algorithms for pictures and text.
- Added "Occupied Lot", ie a lot with a FAMI record.
Test Subject
#6 Old 2nd Jul 2010 at 1:26 PM Last edited by comcal : 2nd Jul 2010 at 3:39 PM.
Looks like you've done a good job updating it.

Do you need a new logo for the app? I can do a remake of the current one.
Edit:
Site Helper
Original Poster
#7 Old 2nd Jul 2010 at 4:53 PM
Actually, this is a much better place to discuss development, since my inbox is nearly full...

I'm not really a visual person, so I have no opinion about having a new logo. Do you think we need one?

Right now, I'm focusing on the recognition algorithms, which are still in a pretty rough state. At the very least, I'd like S2PCI to be able to recognize the relatively small amount of CC that I have on my machine; this means that I'm primarily changing just one file.

I'd also like to grey out the Install button if there's nothing to install; that one seems to trip up a number of people. Plus, it's cleaner.

Is there a particular area that you'd like to focus on? If not, would you like to see what you could do about allowing installation to AnyGameStarter folders? This seems to be a common request.

Some other things that people can do, if anyone wants to help:
1) Let us know about any outstanding issues that you have with version 1.5.4. Bug fixes are always the highest priority.
2) Go through the Clean Installer help forum and see whether there are other outstanding issues (like the empty packages issue) which need to be addressed.
3) Testing. If people can please use the new version and let us know about any issues that they find. Karol had a number of people to do testing and we could certainly use feedback.
Test Subject
#8 Old 2nd Jul 2010 at 6:24 PM
Oops, sent a PM before reading that. As I said, I need to research the package format so maybe I should work on other things such as compatibility with AnyGameStarter and whatnot. I think the logo and GUI in 1.5.4 looks a little old compared to many programs these days and could be touched up. I work well with Blender and Photoshop so I could start by updating the GUI without making it bloated. Compatibility with mono is also another thing I'd like to do.
Site Helper
Original Poster
#9 Old 2nd Jul 2010 at 10:06 PM
These all sound like excellent ideas. My strong point is internals like the package formats, rather than UI, so it sounds like we might work well together.

I'm also wondering whether we should add a new field to the list, so that people can see both the file name and the internal name when browsing downloads, the lot bin, etc. The list box already contains the directory name.
Test Subject
#10 Old 3rd Jul 2010 at 4:06 AM Last edited by comcal : 3rd Jul 2010 at 7:03 AM.
Looks like it got approved, I'll download the source now.

Edit:
Updated the NSIS setup:

Attached updated files, just need to extract. I also noticed that your source for 1.6.1 doesn't match the binaries for 1.6.1, care to update?
Site Helper
Original Poster
#11 Old 3rd Jul 2010 at 6:38 AM
Quote: Originally posted by comcal
I also noticed that your source for 1.6.1 doesn't match the binaries for 1.6.1, care to update?
That's very odd. I did a clean recompile. Which Visual Studio version are you using? How can you tell that they don't match?

I grabbed your changes, so you can delete the attachment, if you'd like.
Test Subject
#12 Old 3rd Jul 2010 at 6:48 AM Last edited by comcal : 3rd Jul 2010 at 10:29 AM.
Turned out I still had the 1.6.0 sources, my bad. I found a major bug, Clean Installer will not run on 64-bit systems when you build with Any CPU, it must be changed to x86. You might want to discard my last upload as it was for 1.6.0. I'm attaching another version that fixes 64-bit compatibility and updates some minor GUI elements.

Also we need a better way of communicating, could you PM me with your IM info?
Attached files:
File Type: rar  s2pci.rar (984.8 KB, 23 downloads) - View custom content
Site Helper
Original Poster
#13 Old 3rd Jul 2010 at 4:33 PM Last edited by Mootilda : 3rd Jul 2010 at 5:01 PM.
OK, that makes sense. I'll download your latest changes. I noticed the 64-bit problem just before uploading, but wanted to upload my fixes as soon as possible, since the initial recognition algorithm was a real problem.

I do not have instant messaging installed.

For security reasons, my development machine is not connected to the internet, so a source control system is not feasible. Plus, you are using VS 2008 and I am using VS 2005, so I'll have to be selective about which of your changes to add to my machine.
Test Subject
#14 Old 3rd Jul 2010 at 5:46 PM
Guess we'll have to stick to these forums then, not the most convenient option. I'll try and keep the project files working with VS2005. 2008 project files will work in 2005 and vice-versa, just need to make sure the solution file is unchanged. I'll work on some of your suggestions tomorrow, hope we can manage to keep versions in sync.
Site Helper
Original Poster
#15 Old 4th Jul 2010 at 2:20 AM
Quote: Originally posted by comcal
2008 project files will work in 2005
Unfortunately, not true. Most Visual Studio versions are backwards compatible, but not forwards compatible.
Test Subject
#16 Old 4th Jul 2010 at 5:12 AM
Can you download VS 2008 C# Express? I don't think there's a way to downgrade csproj files.
Site Helper
Original Poster
#17 Old 4th Jul 2010 at 5:52 AM Last edited by Mootilda : 4th Jul 2010 at 6:10 AM.
I'm not sure that I want to upgrade at this time.

The move from VS 2005 Pro to VC# 2008 Express isn't necessarily an upgrade. I'd lose easy access to some useful tools.
Test Subject
#18 Old 5th Jul 2010 at 10:31 AM
We won't be able to share code if we're using different versions of VS. Any ideas?
Site Helper
Original Poster
#19 Old 5th Jul 2010 at 5:56 PM Last edited by Mootilda : 6th Jul 2010 at 5:06 AM.
I agree with your assessment. It doesn't look like we are in a position to collaborate. I intend to continue to do development and release the code.
Site Helper
Original Poster
#20 Old 9th Feb 2012 at 5:31 AM Last edited by Mootilda : 10th Feb 2012 at 2:34 AM. Reason: Obsolete
Default TEST Version 1.6.17.1
[Update:] New version available; removed obsolete version.

This is a TEST Version of the Clean Installer. DO NOT download unless you intend to test and provide feedback.

CAS (Bodyshop) Packages which do not contain a Binary Index will be marked in BLUE.

I need to know that only invalid CAS packages are being marked. The one exception is creaturefixes.package from MATY.
Demon Sheep
retired moderator
#21 Old 9th Feb 2012 at 8:50 PM
Tested this on my Projects folder and all 85 projects were correctly highlighted blue except for one beard file. I don't know why that would be, but I've included the package file in case you want to see it. Hair and eyebrow projects were correctly highlighted blue. (Yeah I have a LOT of half-started projects.)

Also checked out my downloads, saved sims, and teleport folders.

Creaturefixes was highlighted blue as you expected.

Unfinished clothing and eye downloads were correctly identified with the blue highlight - they were files I've certainly never seen in game, and I double-checked them in SimPE too - sure enough, the BINX was missing. It did not highlight anything else - just the unfinished bodyshop files and creaturefixes. I tested my whole downloads folder which includes build, buy, bodyshop, sim, and hack files, so it was a fairly thorough test. So far it seems to work very well!
Attached files:
File Type: rar  projects folder beard.rar (61.0 KB, 14 downloads) - View custom content
Site Helper
Original Poster
#22 Old 9th Feb 2012 at 10:54 PM
Looks like the problem is that the beard has a mesh overlay, but no texture overlay. The Clean Installer is relying on the texture overlay XML.

I can't find any documentation for the mesh overlay XML; is it reasonable to assume that:

1) If a package has a Mesh Overlay XML, then it is a CAS package

2) The Mesh Overlay XML has similar properties to the Texture Overlay XML?

I can certainly duplicate the Texture Overlay XML logic for the Mesh Overlay XML.
Test Subject
#23 Old 10th Feb 2012 at 12:28 AM
Well I ran this on my downloads folder and got some blue files. I have something like 20,000 files in my downloads so this is just a random sampling.

Some are custom career outfits. I tried to have a varied sample. Not sure if these should be marked or not but hope this helps.
Attached files:
File Type: zip  Sample.zip (2.70 MB, 12 downloads) - View custom content
Demon Sheep
retired moderator
#24 Old 10th Feb 2012 at 12:51 AM
Yes, the Mesh Overlay in this beard seems to be the equivalent of the Texture Overlay in other facial hair files. I suppose it's because this beard actually has a mesh, whereas most other facial hair applies the texture directly to the face mesh. I looked at some custom glasses/accessories and they seem to work the same way - they have a Mesh Overlay instead of a Texture Overlay.

So it seems Bodyshop files will have either a Mesh Overlay, a Texture Overlay, or a Property Set - all 3 being basically the same thing.

thetigerking83: Do the files you posted actually show up in your game? If they don't show up then they should be highlighted. If they DO show up, then they shouldn't be highlighted. Although I'm not quite sure how custom career outfits work. Can you tell us which ones are the custom career outfits, and if those custom career outfits work properly in your game?
Site Helper
Original Poster
#25 Old 10th Feb 2012 at 1:46 AM
Quote: Originally posted by fanseelamb
So it seems Bodyshop files will have either a Mesh Overlay, a Texture Overlay, or a Property Set - all 3 being basically the same thing.
OK, I've updated the CAS package recognition algorithm to include the Mesh Overlay XML; it was already checking the Texture Overlay XML and Property Sets.

I am now prepending the string "Incomplete CAS Project:" when a CAS package doesn't contain a BINX record. This should make it sortable. If you have wording that you prefer, please let me know.

If an incomplete CAS project contains global BHAVs, I'm marking it as a behavior mod, rather than a CAS package. This fixes the problem with CreatureFixes, but should not affect a normal CAS package.

I've made a few other smaller changes and will have a new test version available soon.

thetigerking83, thanks for your testing. Packages marked in blue should be incomplete CAS projects which will never show up in your game. Because of this, I really need to know whether these packages are being incorrectly marked in blue. If a CAS package is marked in blue, but shows up in your game, then I'll have to rework the logic.

Page 1 of 2