Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Scholar
#51 Old 8th Jun 2010 at 6:23 AM
you have to keep drilling till you get the message that you can't drill anymore. than click the hole and choose name you can use it as a warp point than. it's rather slow though for instance i created a tunnel to the junk yard it takes so long to come out from the other end it would have been quicker to drive there :P
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#52 Old 8th Jun 2010 at 7:10 AM
My sim just got to level seven and the only inventions he knows are toys, cheap toys and widgets. How do I get the cooler stuff? I can't blow up anything either. Does he have to be an adult because he is a teenager.
Scholar
#53 Old 8th Jun 2010 at 7:19 AM
only adults can blow stuff up and make big inventions
Field Researcher
#54 Old 8th Jun 2010 at 7:45 AM
That's disappointing. I was so excited that kids could invent too. It's weird that they left that out because teens can even be self employed as inventors. One more question, is there a life time wish for inventing? Because, my sim isn't rolling one.
Scholar
#55 Old 8th Jun 2010 at 7:57 AM Last edited by ToRnado : 8th Jun 2010 at 8:22 AM.
i found 1: make 3 monsters that's the one my current sim has. the only 1 i could get with her traits which is a mix of gardening and inventing skills.
Forum Resident
#56 Old 8th Jun 2010 at 8:11 AM
There is also Decedent of Da Vinci; master Inventing, Sculpting, and Painting skills.
Field Researcher
#57 Old 8th Jun 2010 at 8:30 AM
I guess I'll make him gain a gardening skill and see if he rolls the monster one. Thanks for all the quick responses.
Instructor
#58 Old 8th Jun 2010 at 11:34 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Srikandi
Inventing isn't a profession... it's a skill, just like painting. That's why it's so simple.

Ahhh. I guess the thread title "Inventor Career" kinda threw me off. So the Career is actually Self-employed @ "insert skill here". Thanks for the clarification.

The Sim who's inventing is only the third sim I've played with Ambitions, the other two are Firefighter and Investigator.

They call me The Seeker.
I've been searching low and high.
Test Subject
#59 Old 8th Jun 2010 at 3:04 PM
Ok. Update on my last comment.
I'm on level 10 on the inventing career with full inventing and handiness skills.
My Sim STILL wants to invent something new.. I've been inventing for hours and hours and I really don't know what I can do.
Does having other different skills have anything to do with what a sim can invent.
For instance.. if my Sim had high cooking or gardening skills, could she invent something new?
Field Researcher
#60 Old 8th Jun 2010 at 3:51 PM Last edited by aUserName : 8th Jun 2010 at 8:32 PM.
In case anyone wants to know, my teen finally invented a digger. So, I guess teens can invent big inventions or at least they can invent that one.
Forum Resident
#61 Old 8th Jun 2010 at 5:14 PM
nickiidol, as long as you can still choose inventing, there is still something (other than SimBot) to invent. A few hours after my sim got to level 10 inventing, he invented something new, and then I got a pop up telling me that he has invented everything he could think of, and the option to invent is grayed out.
Test Subject
#62 Old 8th Jun 2010 at 9:28 PM
I tried forever to get my guy to invent something but it wasn't happenin , I read alot of these posts to find my problem , if you have insant skiills mod , you WILL NOT be able to get the inventers books at the book store and that means you CAN NOT go to the city hall to regester as self imployed , this I found out by reading the posts , take your time , all your ansewers are bound to be here
Quote: Originally posted by Night Racer
Dose anyone have any idea where it is? My new inventor sim keeps getting the wish to "join the Invention career" but none of the rabbit holes have it as an option and it isn't listen in either the professions or Career options in the newspaper :/
Scholar
#63 Old 8th Jun 2010 at 10:43 PM
i got all my inventions done at just level 5. if you have any hidden skill mods or any mod that modifies skills you need to remove them they interfere.
Lab Assistant
#64 Old 8th Jun 2010 at 11:14 PM
After reading all these posts, I decided to give the inventor a try. I created a sim that I wanted to have the three monster LTW, but no matter which traits I chose the closest I could get was the Descendant of DaVinci. Any hints on which traits give you the monster option?

Thanks
Test Subject
#65 Old 8th Jun 2010 at 11:39 PM
Did you have the Genius trait? Pretty sure picking that one usually gives me the Monster Maker option.
Lab Assistant
#66 Old 8th Jun 2010 at 11:51 PM
Genius, Handy, Eccentric <- that combo might work.
Lab Assistant
#67 Old 8th Jun 2010 at 11:55 PM
I got the option with Genius, Handy, Eccentric, Computer Whiz & Lucky. My guess is eccentric is the one you need for the monster option.

I suggest switching Comp. Whiz with Loner, otherwise you have to call or meet up with friends every other day or so ... which is a pain when you need to raise up your career level and have to make 25 toys.

Lucky trait might help with the "catching on fire" problem some have had, I never had that happen, just electrocuted once. I also found a LOT of good stuff with the miner.
Lab Assistant
#68 Old 9th Jun 2010 at 12:08 AM
Thanks so much. It appears that I was missing the Genius trait. For some reason, that was the one trait I did not put into the mix.
Scholar
#69 Old 9th Jun 2010 at 12:31 AM
the inventing career is getting boring for me i'm getting tired of making time machines just to advance the career to get simbots and monsters. 1 TM takes like 8 hours to make and only gives you a small amount of job experience anyway at level 6 now...
Test Subject
#70 Old 9th Jun 2010 at 1:30 AM
Tornado, the best way to level your career, unless you're going for the Master Inventor feat, is to repeatedly make Flying Fighters over and over again. Making 250 widgits also gets you another feat. If you're going for the Master Inventor, I'd recommend making Floor Hyg. They use the least scrap and I believe the less time.

The only way the career goes up is by selling items manually from the inventory, and Fighters is the fastest and best for its value.
Eminence Grise
#71 Old 9th Jun 2010 at 1:40 AM
Quote: Originally posted by donnellhouse
I suggest switching Comp. Whiz with Loner, otherwise you have to call or meet up with friends every other day or so ... which is a pain when you need to raise up your career level and have to make 25 toys.

Or get "Insane", since then you can talk to yourself to raise social Or "Green Thumb", which not only lets you raise social by talking to plants, but also will help you level gardening to grow life fruit for your simbot.
Retired
retired moderator
#72 Old 9th Jun 2010 at 1:49 AM
Quote:
The only way the career goes up is by selling items manually from the inventory, and Fighters is the fastest and best for its value.

It's the only reliable way, but according to Carl from Carl's Sims 3 Guide's forum, it does go up occasionally when you sell at the Consignment Store, suggesting that there's a glitch in that system at the moment and that eventually those sales should count.

*waits for patch*

CAW Wiki - A wiki for CAW users. Feel free to edit.

GON OUT, BACKSON, BISY BACKSON
Eminence Grise
#73 Old 9th Jun 2010 at 1:51 AM
... which is great if you don't have the bug that causes the consignment store menu to completely stop appearing for inventors *grr*
Retired
retired moderator
#74 Old 9th Jun 2010 at 2:04 AM
I have that bug too. It seems to affect entire families in any case, my Nectar Maker's family in this case. Nobody in my household is in the inventor career, and I can no longer access the store menu. But I can if I switch to another active family in the same town.

CAW Wiki - A wiki for CAW users. Feel free to edit.

GON OUT, BACKSON, BISY BACKSON
Test Subject
#75 Old 9th Jun 2010 at 2:05 AM
When "buy" stops working at the consignment store, check if you can use the cancel consignment option.

Every time "buy" has stopped working for me, there is a consigned item in the list with 0 or -1 days listed. Canceling that item seems to let you use "buy" again - and you can relist that item with no problem.

Now that I think about it, I wonder if this 0/-1 days issue causes you to not get the popups about how much you've sold, too... hmm...
Page 3 of 5