Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 4th Mar 2017 at 11:47 AM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 3, World Adventures, Ambitions, Late Night, Generations, Pets, Showtime, Supernatural, Seasons, University Life, Island Paradise, Into the Future
How well will this laptop run Sims 3?
On another laptop hunt, and I find this one: https://www.hsn.com/products/hp-156...Suggested=false

How well might this laptop run the game?
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 6th Mar 2017 at 6:35 PM
Quote: Originally posted by nitromon
Hey what is your budget? And are you near a Costco? or can order from Costco online?

See, the thing is, when you buy a laptop, I always say try to get something good instead of the bare minimum. If you get something good, it will last you a long time. The issue with this laptop is that..

1) it is not true HD at 1920x1080. I'm not sure if that bothers you or not, but personally I wouldn't get any laptop that isn't fully HD since it is already 2017. So if you are investing in a laptop, you might want to think about it.

2) I have AMD stock b/c they're on a rise and more and more people are buying AMD. I think their new processors are very good in terms of value you pay for them. However, this processor itself is only 1.8 GHz and in AMD processors they usually do not have a high turbo boost, so you're looking at only about a 2.0-2.1 GHz at most. You might want something a little faster.

3) 4 GB ram is not an issue, because you can buy more on Ebay for reasonable pricing.

Anyways my father recently bought a new HP laptop from Costco and it was one hell of a good deal for average users. The problem is that it is prebuilt, so there is no custom option, you buy what is listed. They have a rebate sale until I think March 12th? So if you are near a Costco or can buy Costco online, you might want to check it out.

--- In store/ online : $750 after factory rebate (means you get the discount at purchase, no forms to fill)
This is the one my father got: (rebate ends March 12)
HP Envy 15.6 touch, True HD
- i7 2.7 gHZ turbo at 3.5 GHz. It is only a dual core, hyper to quad core, which is decent for Sims 3. It is like an - i5 except with the cache of i7 imho. It is a good deal for budget savers.
- 16 GB of DDR4
- 1TB of HDD at 5400 rpm (this is the one I had issue with, but it is standard.)
- Intel HD (standard Intel card).
- This is the Envy model, they're designed to be sleek and light, so beware, no CD/DVD drive!

-- Now, if you want a Nvidia 940 with that, they have one ONLINE purchase only. It cost more, but the rebate is bigger so at the end it cost only $50 more! What a bargain! Rebate ends 3/16/17

HP Pavilion 15t with Nvidia 940

The Pavilion does have a DVD/CD drive.

There are a few other ones on there, just check it out.

---

This might be more than the one you were looking at, but you have to look at value and longivity. These i7s are generation 6, they will last for quite a while before they're completely obsolete. The one on your link at 1.8 gHz, is more or less already obsolete right now.

Thank you

My budget is roughly around 400-500 unfortunately, I don't think I can get one of the two you posted (especially since I'd like a CD drive since having my expansion packs on Origin isn't the greatest thing).
Would those specs be the best to look for in a laptop?
Mad Poster
#5 Old 7th Mar 2017 at 8:04 AM
This is solely my opinion, but most of us do not buy new computers that often. I would save up a bit more and get something that will last you longer. Get something with as high specs as you can/need and you will be set for a while. I have an old laptop that plays 3 well and my will be 6 year old desktop plays it very well with all SPs and EPs other than K Perry that I did not buy. I buy at Best Buy where I can finance a long time with no interest. That way I can get what I want and it lasts a long time.
Instructor
#6 Old 7th Mar 2017 at 10:00 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Fulishagirl
Thank you

My budget is roughly around 400-500 unfortunately, I don't think I can get one of the two you posted (especially since I'd like a CD drive since having my expansion packs on Origin isn't the greatest thing).
Would those specs be the best to look for in a laptop?

I think you can get an i3 laptop for your budget, or maybe even i5, if this still available in your local area, try to find Lenovo G40-80, here's the link to its official website http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptop...o/g-series/g40/ , or the one here http://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/p...tops/G40-80?c=1 , make sure it's the G40-80 model (because there some other G40 models, the one with the "80" --> G40-80 is the one you need to find), it has 5th generation Core i3/5/7 Broadwell with dual switchable graphics Intel HD 5500 and AMD Radeon R3 or R5 (I forgot which one), 4GB DDR3 standard RAM, 500GB HDD, DVD-RW etc, if I remember it correctly, the price range is below $500, plus its battery stand for 6-8 hours for light - medium usage with its power manager, so it's good for mobility as well.

But if you want to get laptop with AMD as its main processor, I think you better wait until Ryzen available for laptop as well, the E series AMD processor is not very impressive in my opinion, I had Lenovo E135 with AMD E2000 dual core @1.75Ghz back then, and I was disappointed with its gaming performance even after I replaced the HDD and RAM with SSD and 8GB (2x4GB) RAM, not that it performs poor in gaming, is not poor but it just the loading time was so slow not only for TS3 but other games as well.