Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Alchemist
#26 Old 24th Dec 2013 at 2:19 AM
I know its 3 months since last post but I currently also have the 15 numbers only -problem. I have tried making several test worlds but everytime the global layer comes out with 15 numbers. Has anyone found the solution to this or what is causing it?
Advertisement
In the Arena
retired moderator
#27 Old 24th Dec 2013 at 4:17 AM
This is the Global layer's HEX ID and filename? What is the impact of this 16char-long versus a 15char-long name, if any? Any issues that arose from this "mis-naming"? Any differences in gameplay in worlds with the 16char-long versus a 15char-long one?
Alchemist
#28 Old 24th Dec 2013 at 2:54 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ellacharmed
This is the Global layer's HEX ID and filename? What is the impact of this 16char-long versus a 15char-long name, if any? Any issues that arose from this "mis-naming"? Any differences in gameplay in worlds with the 16char-long versus a 15char-long one?

Yes, it is. When I opened the hex editor to change the numbers, the test worlds filename only had 15 char. Everytime. I didn't go any further than that because I was afraid to mess something up. I would also like to know if it could be done with only 15?
dodgy builder
#29 Old 8th Jan 2014 at 11:41 AM
Quote: Originally posted by varpunen
I know its 3 months since last post but I currently also have the 15 numbers only -problem. I have tried making several test worlds but everytime the global layer comes out with 15 numbers. Has anyone found the solution to this or what is causing it?

I'm trying this now, and reading through the thread. What did Simsample do? Can one of those files solve the problem?

Quote: Originally posted by chuckles_82
I have used this method successfully in the past with no problems - I run error trap in the game once I've installed the exported world, and get no errors (as opposed to numerous errors due to messy global layer).

Now, with Island Paradise, if I use this method, my houseboat does not stay connected to the port. I find that I need to enter EIG one more time, reassign the boat to the port, then save and exit. There are only a few objects left in the Global Layer this way. This was done with a fresh sims 3 folder with no mods.

I did also encounter some problems with trees/shrubs/flowers disappearing from only the resort (no other lots), but I suspect that may have been mod related, as with no mods, this problem does not repeat.

This is very useful, as it ties in very nicely with my experience of visible stuck and unremovable objects, such as boathulls, sea weeds and pocket boats.
Alchemist
#30 Old 9th Jan 2014 at 7:05 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Volvenom
I'm trying this now, and reading through the thread. What did Simsample do? Can one of those files solve the problem?

In the post 9... I was hesitant to try but I guess I have no choice, since I keep getting 15 characters only. Though, now that the CAW is messed up again by EA... oh well, we'll see.
Test Subject
#31 Old 31st May 2014 at 4:00 AM
work for me, thanks
Lab Assistant
#32 Old 20th Apr 2015 at 12:44 PM
I haven't tried this method yet and have a question: Will it get rid of objects in the global layer _permanetly_? Or will they reappear?

To clarify, I am working on a world that I had to salvage from an old .world file using s3pe. There are 204 objects in the global layer (they are all of the small-invisible-block-twenty-thousand-leagues-under-the-sea variety, except one flower spawner that maintained its coordinates). I manually deleted all of them several times, but they are recreated every time I save.
I remember that the spawner was originally on a lot that was then deleted (don't remember if in CAW or EIG), which is why I suspect that the objects all stem from this lot and were moved to the global layer because of a botched up deletion process, and that they are somehow still connected to some kind of dodgy lot residue in the global layer.

So if I use the method presented in this thread, will this clear _all_ of the global layer, or only the objects in it (like manual deletion)? I understand that it restores a nice and clean fresh layer from a virgin world file, so, that should do the trick, right?
It worries me that CAW insists on restoring these objects each time I save, so maybe they are somehow important to the structural integrity of my world's fabric of reality or summin..I really don't want to risk completely effing up my world

English is my second language. Please don't be mean about my mistakes :)
Field Researcher
#33 Old 14th Sep 2017 at 7:00 PM
Ok so I have a small question about this: 1) Open CAW. Create a new world of the same height and size as your existing world. So, for my Large 300 high world, I made a new 300 height world.

What if you dont know the height of your map, is there anyway to find out?
Top Secret Researcher
#34 Old 18th May 2019 at 8:04 PM
So, while creating (unpopulated) worlds I tend to have many exports and testing versions. And I seem to have made a weird observation: worlds that don’t have a clean global layer seem to run better. With an empty global layer it seems worlds are more likely to suffer from micro freezing, tiniest stuttering. Not as bad as lag for example created by stuck sims or bad routing. Just not running as smoothly as it could.
Same if I have an empty object layer which I forgot to delete before export.

Anyone experienced something similar when creating a world?
Test Subject
#35 Old 19th Jul 2019 at 1:31 PM
Thank you for this tutorial. I just tried it, and it worked great. I also had an issue where I had a 16 number file name, but only 14 placeholders to use. My numbers were 32c009f2737db20, to be replaced with 5890009f363628da80. I decided to eliminate one of the '36' sets in my replacement series, since I had two of them, and this also made the 'f9' set of numbers -- which was in in both series -- stay aligned in the same placeholder (if that makes any sense). Anyhow, it worked, but it might have just been a lucky guess. Also, I did have to remake my default sim, but no biggie. Thanks again!
Field Researcher
#36 Old 4th Dec 2019 at 11:26 PM
How the Endian Transcription Works
Quote: Originally posted by Ruth Kay
just a note: the only part that kind of threw me was rewriting the hex code...the stuff about Endian is over my head and I am unfamiliar. I was able to figure it out after a bit by looking at the example, but I wonder if actually spelling out how to transpose the code for those of us who are clueless might be a good idea?

I did some research and tried several methods, and I figured it out.

OP means that you must reverse the Hexadecimal code.

Let's say your new layer to be forced onto a World is this: FB4F00A3B2F4AB60.
Break the code into units of two: FB 4F 00 A3 B2 F4 AB 60.

Here's the trick. That is NOT the correct Hexadecimal code. There are two types of Endian formats: the Greater (Big) Endian, and the Lesser (Little) Endian. The "Sims III" video game uses Lesser Endian.

That means the code you enter into the game is this: 60 AB F4 B2 A3 00 4F FB.

Do that, and your file will work perfectly!

-------

Jesus loves you and died for you!

Your resident prude! A pox on all who remove the "censor blurs" on showering (etc.) Sims!
Field Researcher
#37 Old 4th Dec 2019 at 11:32 PM
The process worked, but as you warned, it will delete your pre-populated Sims. Is there anyway to find a work around for this? Would the Porter work? What if I exported all the "SNAP" files?

-------

Your resident prude! A pox on all who remove the "censor blurs" on showering (etc.) Sims!
Field Researcher
#38 Old 6th Dec 2019 at 1:48 AM
One note I've discovered: the SNAP files can be safely deleted. I had NINE THOUSAND of those files, all PNG images. I deleted every of them and miraculously turned my two hundred megabyte World file to FIFTY. My World even has some custom content in it and it's still that low!

-------

Mad Poster
#39 Old 11th Apr 2020 at 10:36 AM Last edited by jje1000 : 11th Apr 2020 at 11:15 AM.
Another warning- if you're working on a world, add the houseboat & their lots first in Edit-in-Game, and then back up your Global Layer, as that's the location where they're stored.

Replacing the global layer with an empty one will clean out your houseboats!

Honestly, still not sure what else is in the Global Layer (leftover data from deleted items from Edit-in-Game?) beyond sims and houseboats.

Quote: Originally posted by Norn
So, while creating (unpopulated) worlds I tend to have many exports and testing versions. And I seem to have made a weird observation: worlds that don’t have a clean global layer seem to run better. With an empty global layer it seems worlds are more likely to suffer from micro freezing, tiniest stuttering. Not as bad as lag for example created by stuck sims or bad routing. Just not running as smoothly as it could.
Same if I have an empty object layer which I forgot to delete before export.
Anyone experienced something similar when creating a world?

I think you're right on that issue- I experimented switching out the global layer with an emptier (not empty) one, and the world had microstutter and felt a bit slower when panning across the map view.

The global layer objects must be directly linked to the lots IMO- Errortrap sometimes cleans up some objects on it when starting a new game.
Page 2 of 2