Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Scholar
Original Poster
#1 Old 24th Nov 2014 at 3:41 AM
Default Infants & Dormitories
Hey guise from the title of the thread I think you've already guessed at the problem. The heir-apparent for the third generation of my legacy managed to get herself knocked up in her second semester of college. After careful consideration I decided to let her keep the kid. After all that's what legacies are all about right?

She has the baby still manages to make the dean's list, but now that the little mite is here the game is a bit confused. It counts nine residents and eight doors.I quit without saving immediately knowing I had a problem and now I need thoughts on the solution.

The dorm that my sims are living in was built just for them, because it was a generation of eight children and I wanted to enjoy them in college so ideally they would remain in the dorm for the next four sim years since I may or may not play the spares once college is over. I have Inteen and it offers support for college familes, but only in residences not dorms or frathouses.

My roommate suggest moving the heir, her fiance and infant into a residence, but if there is a way to make it work I'd like to stay in the dorm. Have any of you managed to raise infants in a sim dorm? Is there a hack for it or am I just stuck?

Check out my simblr https://www.tumblr.com/blog/tbssimblr

Click the link, you know you want to. ;)
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 24th Nov 2014 at 3:48 AM
I hope you are using InTeen for this because it is the only mod I know of that fixes all the bad things that can happen by having kids in college hoods.

All my Beginning Hoods here at MTS. http://www.modthesims.info/member.php?u=7749491
All my Beginning Hoods as Shopping Districts plus Old Town. http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=523417
MooVille, a tribute to Mootilda and her fabulous lots http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=534158
Mad Poster
#3 Old 24th Nov 2014 at 4:11 AM
Quote: Originally posted by A.G.Doren
... I have Inteen and it offers support for college familes, but only in residences not dorms or frathouses.

So yes, Inteen is used.

I did this often, but my sims were living in a house. (renting it, of course)
Kid even aged to..child, and the school bus was coming every morning.
I have asked the grandma to "babysit" while both the parents were going to class.
That was before I started building my own dorms.
I never attempted this IN a dorm, though i will sooner or later, I have Inteen, and I always play the Dorms I create now.

I'd say...make a backup of that Hood, copy it to your desktop..and then try.
If anything goes wrong, delete that Hood, and put your backup in.

I would try this now..but I am not quite ready to move my 5 teens to college! Just a tad too soon..

Je mange des girafes et je parle aussi français !...surtout :0)

Find all my old MTS Uploads, on my SFS, And all new uploads Here . :)
Scholar
Original Poster
#4 Old 24th Nov 2014 at 4:24 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Rosebine
So yes, Inteen is used.

I'd say...make a backup of that Hood, copy it to your desktop..and then try.
If anything goes wrong, delete that Hood, and put your backup in.

I would try this now..but I am not quite ready to move my 5 teens to college! Just a tad too soon..

I should clarify I am already having a problem. I also have BO's hack that allows more than eight sims on a lot. The dorm was built for 8, eight rooms, eight doors. I had eight playables living there. The third generation of the legacy, and the heir apparent's afianced. The infant makes for nine. Little Carlton Savage was born without a hitch, but shortly after his arrival I got a message saying that I had an extra sim and that the game would move out one of the townies to make room for the newly moved in sim. Basically reading the infant as YA adult playable. The problem here of course is that Carlton is an infant and there are no townies in the dorm only playables.

So I quit as soon as I got the message and now I am spending my playing time doing some game maintenance while I try to decide how I want to handle it. As I said in the first post I'd prefer to remain in the dorm and keep everyone living together. I'm hoping this pool of brilliant simmers knows how it would be done.

Mad Poster
#5 Old 24th Nov 2014 at 4:46 AM
Oh..I see..sorry. Well this is a puzzle...indeed.

How about, building on another lot on your Campus, a house..big enough for everyone, that looks like a dorm, but with 8 normal doors?
Since you can lock them anyways..this could work?
Build it as if it was a Dorm, and that would keep all your family together.

Field Researcher
#6 Old 24th Nov 2014 at 4:51 AM
I've had babies in the dorms before, if only for a couple semesters. It was quite awhile ago so my memory's a bit fuzzy on it. As far as I can tell, the message is just a message. The game doesn't think the infant is a YA. It only sees another playable Sim on the lot and assumes it's a YA since that's the only kind of Sim you can have at University in an unmodded game. The game also shouldn't force your playable Sims to move out. You will intermittently get the message- I think every time you open the lot, but that should be all.

If you're concerned, back up your game, and keep playing for a semester or two with the baby and see how it goes. If you start having more problems than the message, restore your backup and end the pregnancy.
Mad Poster
#7 Old 24th Nov 2014 at 4:53 AM
I don't think the OP has a backup from before the sim gave birth though..do you?

Field Researcher
#8 Old 24th Nov 2014 at 5:01 AM
Oh, true! Disregard that then. Still, backups are always good to have anyway. : )
Scholar
#9 Old 24th Nov 2014 at 5:33 AM
I have never had a problem of this kind but I never have eight sims in an eight room dorm either. I always have two to four more rooms than I have playables. because I want my sims to interact with somebody. I never thought about this problem (because it never came up), but maybe you need to move your sims into a larger dorm. Or just move them out long enough to remodel and add another room.

I want to be clear, though: I kept the baby in the same room with its parent, or sometimes in the common area. The game never moved out any of the dormies either.
Mad Poster
#10 Old 24th Nov 2014 at 11:10 AM
You could add another dorm door onto the sim's room? Sounds like it's safe to ignore, though. Just be careful when you graduate - if you're not careful the baby can get left behind.

I use the sims as a psychology simulator...
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#11 Old 24th Nov 2014 at 12:05 PM
Hmm - I think the problem is that the dorm has all playables in it. It's perfectly possible to have a child in a dorm. What is supposed to happen is that once the child is born, one of the dormies moves out to leave a room spare to put the kid in. I'd say the message is doing exactly what the mod is intended to do. However, there is not generally a problem with having more residents in a dorm than doors allow for though if any one of those is a dormie, the game will compensate by moving out the dormie.

It occurs to me, if you're worried about it, what you could do is build a temporary dorm room - just a one-square cupboard would do with a dorm door on it or even a second door into your mother sim's bedroom. The game won't move in a dormie if it thinks, at that point, the dorm is full.

When you move out, make sure the toddler is on the ground level - they crawl off lot and can't get down stairs.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Mad Poster
#12 Old 24th Nov 2014 at 1:04 PM
I recall having a baby in a dorm for a semester while the parent graduated, though that dorm had non-playables in it and one moved out. I think the message is just a message though because the game isn't really made to have infants in college so it thinks you've moved in another Y/A and the game notices there aren't enough doors, but because there are no non-playables to move out, nothing will happen. If you don't have a backup and you really want your playable sims to live in the same dorm - move the baby into another household (Grandparents etc? - it can be part of your storyline, that the baby was raised by its grandparents while its parents were in university).

~Your friendly neighborhood ginge
Scholar
#13 Old 24th Nov 2014 at 1:21 PM
Babies in dorms can be glitchy, glitchy, glitchy. The game sees a new playable on the lot, so that's why the message about one of the non-existent dormies moving out came from. From memory, as I always move pregnant YAs onto residental accommodation as soon as they have their kid:

The baby will only move back with the last sim. However, there are some occasions where the game will leave a baby/toddler/child/teen on the lot as it registers dormies as being able to take care of them. This can be fixed by getting back to the main 'hood and teleporting the sim into the house and adding to household.

Depending on how you manage college and aging, the baby could be a teen by the time their mother graduates. After about an hour on a dorm lot (and also a Greek house I believe), a teen will turn into a young adult -- baby could be graduating a short four years after mom.

In addition to what maxon said: my babies and toddlers 'poof' into the taxi when their mom moves back home, but that's always been from a residential lot.

You can manage it if you're careful and keep an eye on aging, but I'd take a backup while the pregnancy is active now. That way, if any major problems pop up you can load the backup and move the heir apparent into a separate residential lot.
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#14 Old 24th Nov 2014 at 4:46 PM
That doesn't correspond with my experience Katya - in my experience the baby (or toddler) moves back with the mother. I've never grown one beyond a child though. So I've never had to teleport. Having a toddler on a dorm lot has always been fine though I haven't done it so many times. Children get in the car with their mother, toddlers leave by the portal. I wonder why it's different for us?

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
Scholar
Original Poster
#15 Old 24th Nov 2014 at 5:17 PM
so my back-ups date to just before she got pregnant and just after the birth. I definitely should have made a back up during the pregnancy. If I add an extra unclaimed door wouldn't that just summon another dormie? Also aren't there are some problems with turning off dorm tools while you have sims living on the lot?

Based on what everyone is saying here I think my first step is going to be play and see what happens. If it doesn't work I'll just revert to the back-up from just after the baby was born and either teleport Carlton to the grandparents house and let them take care of the baby or move the Bahiyya (heir-apparent), baby Carlton, Lim (afianced), and the other likely candidates into a residence. Who knows, maybe I'll be surprised and it will be fun to play to seperate uni residences at the same time? I'll update after I play tonight.

The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#16 Old 24th Nov 2014 at 7:08 PM
If the child is already present, the game shouldn't call up another dormie, I think. Anyway, let us know what happens.

Scholar
Original Poster
#17 Old 25th Nov 2014 at 9:52 PM
so quick update. My experience has basically matched Vladora's. I loaded Sunshine Dorm without any problems, Bahiyya and Lim were able to care for baby Carleton without any glitches. I played about 26 sim hours. The uni students went about their business without any problems or glitching. I exited and loaded the dorm twice both times I got the message saying a townie would be moved out to make room for my *extra* sims, but nothing else happened all my playables remianed in place and I played normally without any crashes. I use a combination of BO's mod that let's you have more than eight sims on a lot, ACR, & Inteen.

I also decided to move Bahiyya, Lim, baby Carleton and two of her siblings into a residence. There were already a few too many playables in the dorm. So mommy and mommy gave them some money and rented Bahiyya and her new family a little house on campus. I've never played two seperate Uni HH at the sametime. I hope its fun. Also I had no glitches moving Carleton out of the dorm. he appeared as eligible to move out and transported into the van without a hiccup.

Mad Poster
#18 Old 28th Nov 2014 at 7:56 PM
I've cheated to create a pregnancy a few times; I don't have inteen, think the mom must have graduated but not gone home yet. In both cases, the baby stayed there when the mom had to "move home"! Oddly, dormies often tended the baby, & I directed other playable to care for it. But after a few SEMESTERS passed, the baby had NOT grown up. I used cheats in the main hood to retrieve the baby. Makes sense to me to have a relative get the baby and raise it to toddler by the time the mom comes home. One time I had a wild Ottomas girl have a baby, and her sister raised it. Nowdays, if a girl is promiscuous (ACR) and not smart, I get her pregnant and make her drop out or fail, and in the hood she could be tortured with multiples.

Stand up, speak out. Just not to me..
Theorist
#19 Old 30th Nov 2014 at 6:25 PM
Most often I make a residential house for my playables, then they apply for Greek house status. The house also uses the dorm lockable doors (but aren't required) with no dormies moving in when a playable graduates. I move in new playables before the last one moves out which will keep the Greek house status and benefits. I've never had a baby born at Uni, but the Greek house might work better than a dorm considering you prefer all playables in yours. Greek status is easy to obtain when all the sims are at or near friend level by moving them all in, using the phone and applying.

When you forgive, you heal. When you let go, you grow.