Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 26th Feb 2012 at 11:18 PM Last edited by Zerhai : 30th Nov 2012 at 7:57 PM. Reason: revamped the rules
Default Mother of the Family Challenge
'Mother of the Family' Challenge: the inspiration for this challenge comes from the Anne Rice vampire chronicles.

I have revamped the rules and put a point system in, if you have any ideas or critiques let me know, I have also restarted the challenge myself!

The object of this challenge is one sim must protect and care for her family threw 10+ generations as a vampire, until the heir of the the 10th generation or later joins her as a vampire.

This challenge can work as a Legacy challenge if you so wish however I am setting up rules specifically for this Challenge:

To start create one sim in CAS, preferably female (remember this sim will be there for the entire challenge so be happy with what you create!)

She must have family oriented, artistic, and brave. Other traits are up to you. This is your 'mother of the family.'

Next create a basic house, with only the basics, built on the largest lot you can find in your town.
Basics in the challenge:
Kitchen:
cheapest stove
cheapest fridge
cheapest sink
fire detector

Dining room:
cheapest table
cheapest chairs
high chair(cheap, since I don't know what the prices of others besides the original one....)

Bathroom:
cheapest sink
cheapest toilet
cheapest shower or bathtub(your choice but you can't use the combination one)
cheapest mirror
potty chair

Bedroom:
cheapest double bed
cheapest dresser
cheapest mirror

Baby room:
cheapest crib
cheapest dresser
cheapest single bed
cheap mirror
cheap toy box

Living room:
cheap sitting area (no more than 4 seats total, example: 2 love seats or 4 chairs)
cheapest tv
cheapest book case
easel

also: you may have 10 decorational(no use other than to decorate the house and make it look pretty) items in the house where ever you wish

You are allowed to not have something on the above list however what I have listed is what you can have at the beginning of the challenge.

Move your 'mother of the family' onto this lot, and through whatever means, and make her only have $500.

Next she must have one HUMAN pregnancy, and the child(or children) must be human. (another option is creating the child when you create her its up to you) After which she must become a vampire. She must be the only vampire on the lot and no other may turn to vampire while under the 'mother's' protection. She must stay at YA stage through this entire challenge, and yes it is possible. Use whatever methods you have at your disposal. (ambrosia, life fruit, cow plant*though if the cow plant eats any of your family even if they are not living on the lot any longer you lose points since they were not protected*) She must also not have any more children herself.

Now once the 'mother's' child has reached young adult, congratulations you have made it threw the set up now the real challenge begins.

For each generation your 'mother' must paint a portrait of every member of her family at child, teen, YA, adult and elder stage. Documenting and preserving her family's history, and you must put them on a special floor in your home(until u have the money to build one you may keep these in her inventory, or just put them around the normal home until you do just make sure you keep track of them) (these must be paintings not photography, she is supposed to be old fashioned that way.) She must also write a non-fiction book each generation, giving it the title 'The *family name* Family, Generation #. A bookshelf must be cleared of all other books and put in the hall of memories then must hold all these books. (note the mother's child is the 'pre' generation or generation 0..... there are no guidelines for this)

When any of the children marry, there simply must be a portrait of their spouse at the stage they are married in and all stages after it. (some mods will let Teenagers get married, I see no problem in this if you want to use it, though I would not recommend having them get pregnant, I have not found a good set of teenage pregnancy clothing that doesn't have issues with the neck waist and ankles) (when doing all the paintings I recommend when you name each painting you say who each one is, what generation they belong to, and what age they are.)

Generation 1 starts with the 'mother's' grandchildren, and this is first fork in the family tree. The mother's child must have at least 2 children. BOTH are heirs to the family.

All children must be potty trained, learn to walk, and talk, and play on their toys, as toddlers, reading books are optional, though recommended as they can provide you with a lot of points not to mention easy to get skill points later in their life....

You must keep track of two lines(bonus points if you 'keep track' of more lines, and have paintings of sims related to her that are not in the house)

For Generation 2 you choose at least 1 heir for each line, you can keep track of more than this however even with this it will be a challenge.

Each generation goes like this until reaching generation 10, if you choose to go with keeping track of more than 2 lines, then you must follow that line until it dies(the sim dies before having an heir and no forcing their deaths if it you don't feel like doing em anymore)

All lines beyond the original 2 lines are extra so if any of those lines die out it doesn't count against you, however if one of the original 2 lines dies out points will be counted against you.

Rules and restrictions on the 'mother':
when she makes ambrosia she cannot share it.(that doesn't mean that if they learn how to make it before their generation is over they can't eat it.)
She is not allowed to turn any in her family, however if she wishes to turn others outside her family she is allowed.
She is allowed to marry. Humans she must watch die if she marries another vampire she eventually will get sick of them so they must be kicked out 2 generations after they join the household or sooner, she cannot share her ambrosia with her spouse human or vampire.
She must keep all generations before generation 10(that live with her) from being turned as well.
She is allowed to get a job, however she must quit it when she hits the top of one and go to another. She cannot keep a top rank job for more than two sim weeks. This goes for self-employed jobs as well.
She must write book a book for each generation.
Generation 9 she must not have a job, if she is in the middle of a job chain she must quit as soon as the children of this generation are born.
She is allowed to drink from her children if they are willing, but again, no turning them
She completely raises Generation 10.

Each generation must accomplish something for the family.

Here is the list:
Generation 1:
Build the 'Hall of Memories' for the 'mother' to keep her paintings and other memorabilia: preferably on either a top floor or a basement, when built this hall must only be accessible by the 'mother'
Set up two master bedrooms. One for each of the main heirs.
Expand the main house.
One of the heirs must go into Business.

Generation 2:
Become partner in 2 different businesses. To make sure the family always has a source of income.
Build a small home on the lot for the mother, it must have a staircase or elevator into the hall of memories. This will be locked so only she can access it. It is her own private space, this must include a small garden for her. (im sure she already has a place she has been growing stuff for her ambrosia, just make it pretty), also she needs a small pond as well for the death fish.
One of the heirs must go into Music.

Generation 3:
Become a partner in 2 more businesses, to cement the family fortune.
Become full owner of the first two businesses.
Build a small monument to the 'mother' within the main house. It must include at least 3 paintings, and an ice sculpture that will never melt(if you have ambitions, if you don't have ambitions it must include 5+ paintings.) All of the mother. Optional to include: a bookcase which only has books about the mother in it. {3 extra points for the book shelf and at least one book, 2 more points per book, and they must be written by different family members}
One of the heirs must go into Science.

Generation 4:
Expand on the main house, include an extensive nursery to accommodate the children born in each generation.
Become full owner of the second two businesses.
One of the heirs must go into politics.
One must be a writer this generation.

Generation 5:
One of the heirs must work at the hospital this generation.
Another must have a band.
If you have more than 2 heirs, the third is an inventor(if you have ambitions), if not then they go into music.
Another business must be partnered and taken over completely this generation.

Generation 6:
One heir must have the mixology LTW where they want to own a bar, and max out mixology. This must be completed this generation.
A bar must be bought this generation.
Another heir must have at least 3 different husbands, and at least 1 child with each one. This heir must have just a part time job. (which one is the heir of that particular line is up to you.)

Generation 7:
This generation must hoard money. They must earn at least $25k, and not touch it once it is earned.
One of the heirs is a single parent this time around.

Generation 8:
One of the heirs must have a band this time around. (yes I know I did this before) Their day job is Business.
The other main heir is in politics.
Another Venue must be bought.

Generation 9:
This whole generation is lazy, none of this generation can have more than a part time job. If they get a part time job as a teenager, that is their job for the rest of their life, if they quit they are too lazy to get another.
Because this generation is so lazy the 'mother' has had to have a bigger hand in the raising of their children, and because of this she cannot have a job this generation.

Generation 10:
When the first child of the 9th generation becomes a child, and after each generation has had at least one kid, the mother will be kicking the 9th generation out, angry at them and sick of their laziness. Or whatever reason you want to have for this.....
At least one of the heirs in this generation must befriend, fall in love and be turned by another vampire. Not the mother. {-20 points if the mother turns them}

Congratulations you have made it to the end of this challenge.

Other ways to play:
you can do this as a Legacy challenge. Here are the changes to the Generational rules if you do so.
Each legacy roll you do applies to each individual line, which means if you are going with 3 lines, you must do 3 rolls.

The Legacy rolls will replace the goals already set out for the challenge with some exceptions:

Generation 1: Still must build the hall of memories, and must expand the main house.
Generation 2: build the mother's home, and make sure a stair case from the hall of memories goes into her home(if you have built it as a basement) as well as the garden and pond.
Generation 3: still have to build the monument to the 'mother'.
Generation 4: still have to build the extensive nursery.
Generation 5: (can be completely replaced)
Generation 6: (can be completely replaced)
Generation 7: still must build up the 25k and not spend it.
Generation 8: (can be completely replaced)
Generation 9: this one cannot be replaced
Generation 10: Generation 9 still must be kicked out, and one of the heirs still must become a vampire as stated above.

Scoring: (still working on this)
If you make it through the set up you have an automatic 100 points.
Pregeneration: (mother's child) Generation 0
if she managed to teach the child to walk: 10 points
to talk: 10 points
potty training: 10 points
for each book read through: 5 points
toddler toys: 5 points each
toy oven: 5 points per level 15 total
block table: 5 points per level 15 points total
for each skill level learned before hitting teen on normal skills: 10 points
for each skill level learned before hitting YA on normal skills: 5 points
for each level of part time job before hitting YA: 15 points
for honor role when turning teen: 20 points
for honor role when turning YA: 20 points

generation 1-10+: (points are per child that learn these skills)
walk: 5
talk: 5
potty: 5
each book: 2
toddler toys: 3
toy oven: 3
block table: 3
for each skill level learned before hitting teen on normal skills: 3
for each skill level learned before hitting YA on normal skills: 1
for each level of part time job before hitting YA: 5
Honor role as child before teen: 10
Honor role as teen before YA: 10

NOTE: if you have decided to have 3 lines that you are following instead of 2 then all points are doubled for the third blood line. For each painting outside the original 2 lines you get 5 point each.

Other extra points:
painting of family members who have moved out: 5 points per painting.

What happens when you don't complete something in the challenge:
-20 points each time you don't compete a requirement for that particular generation or don't go by that generation's rules!

Rules on mods and cheats: use mods at your own risk, however, cheats and 'cheaty' mods outside the initial set up are not allowed.

Initial use of cheats or cheats mods: -50 points
2nd use: -25
3rd use: -30
4th use: -35
and it keeps going up by 5 points each time use one, when the amount of points you lose gets to -50 again, then you can reset it to -25 and start the process over..... this can get very expensive and you could very quickly lose the challenge.

If you have negative points at the end of the challenge you lost the challenge.

Now if you don't want to use the point system don't, the point is to have fun! And if keeping track of the score is a pain and you are not having fun with it then don't do it.

I would love to see what people do with this challenge!

OPTIONS IF YOU DON'T HAVE LATE NIGHT:
obviously the mother doesn't become a vampire, and she must get the ambrosia going faster, so extending the life span for this is acceptable though not in the middle of the game you must do it before you start
also exchange mixology for cooking and owning a bar for owning a restaurant(not just partner must own)
that is all i have come up with any ideas would be helpful!
Advertisement
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#2 Old 28th Feb 2012 at 8:28 PM
This is my Mother of the O'Niall family with the man who will be the father. (soon to be dead):
Test Subject
#3 Old 29th Feb 2012 at 2:07 AM
Your sim is so pretty! Is it just me or is the husband's ears, um... rather large?
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#4 Old 29th Feb 2012 at 3:05 AM
slightly, ended up that way, always annoys me when the ears clip too much into the hair or in weird ways, part of that is probably the angle of the picture, he is dead now though. she has pointed ears too though her hair covers em, I love pointed ears. I probably use them too much lol
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#5 Old 29th Feb 2012 at 4:33 AM

I have a firey ghost on my lot now......

and these are the twins she had later: Arthur (athletic and evil)and Abigail(insane and good)

i am going to attempt 2 lines from each kid, though only 1 of each will be the main one.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#6 Old 29th Feb 2012 at 9:01 AM
well my mother has maxed out her gardening and the twins are toddlers, and she is a vampire...... wish she hadn't had twins makes everything near impossible.... only real good thing is that she gets opportunities with being a celeb(only 1 star but still it helps) she got it when she befriended the vampire that turned her, (Lestat de Lioncourt) he was a household i had already saved and i tend to throw him on a world when i want to quick start the vampires in my world.

A random rant: why can't people make worlds in two ways: one the way they want them, and two, without all the eps, not everyone has all the expansion packs, I only have 2 and I see these beautiful worlds that I would love to use, but I cannot since they include stuff from eps i do not have...... *sigh* I know it won't happen but i can still rant about it......
Instructor
#8 Old 29th Feb 2012 at 9:42 AM
This looks really interesting, too bad I don't have late night. Does the baby girl in the picture have hair?
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#9 Old 5th Mar 2012 at 2:24 AM
Quote: Originally posted by lbsgirl24
This looks really interesting, too bad I don't have late night. Does the baby girl in the picture have hair?
they all have hair, sadly i am having to restart this since i needed to delete my saved files.... i have a mod for the babies that their blankets are different colors and looks like they have little hats on, i don't remember where i got it sorry.....
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#10 Old 5th Mar 2012 at 2:25 AM
Quote: Originally posted by lbsgirl24
also late night isn't required for this.... simply take out the content and replace it with something else... such as the mixology make them max out cooking and they have to buy a restaurant... or something like that.... and the mother can still be immortal bc of ambrosia.... I can probably edit and post a couple things to change it.... or make options that it can be done without late night
Test Subject
#11 Old 5th Mar 2012 at 2:35 AM
the are so cute! Sorry about your mom being a vampire.
Quote: Originally posted by Zerhai
well my mother has maxed out her gardening and the twins are toddlers, and she is a vampire...... wish she hadn't had twins makes everything near impossible.... only real good thing is that she gets opportunities with being a celeb(only 1 star but still it helps) she got it when she befriended the vampire that turned her, (Lestat de Lioncourt) he was a household i had already saved and i tend to throw him on a world when i want to quick start the vampires in my world.

A random rant: why can't people make worlds in two ways: one the way they want them, and two, without all the eps, not everyone has all the expansion packs, I only have 2 and I see these beautiful worlds that I would love to use, but I cannot since they include stuff from eps i do not have...... *sigh* I know it won't happen but i can still rant about it......
Test Subject
#12 Old 5th Mar 2012 at 2:36 AM
Awwwwwwwwwwww you two in that pic. :lovestruc
Test Subject
#13 Old 5th Mar 2012 at 2:37 AM
dgddgffffffffffffffffffffff
also late night isn't required for this.... simply take out the content and replace it with something else... such as the mixology make them max out cooking and they have to buy a restaurant... or something like that.... and the mother can still be immortal bc of ambrosia.... I can probably edit and post a couple things to change it.... or make options that it can be done without late night
Test Subject
#14 Old 5th Mar 2012 at 2:38 AM
vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvdfdtsdaa
slightly, ended up that way, always annoys me when the ears clip too much into the hair or in weird ways, part of that is probably the angle of the picture, he is dead now though. she has pointed ears too though her hair covers em, I love pointed earsfzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. I probably use them too much lol
Test Subject
#15 Old 5th Mar 2012 at 2:38 AM
vfsdkhfdhrfkjdznbvkjdfhlfjbfdsj
Quote: Originally posted by EmeraldPhoenixFlame
Your sim is so pretty! Is it just me or is the husband's ears, um... rather large?
Test Subject
#16 Old 5th Mar 2012 at 5:12 AM
This looks awesome
I'll be starting right away.
Forum Resident
#17 Old 5th Mar 2012 at 5:55 AM
Interesting! Very detailed, and definitely looks challenging. I like the idea of the hall of memories. I'll have to give this one a try when I get a chance. ^_^
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#18 Old 5th Mar 2012 at 7:07 AM
Quote: Originally posted by skmt999
Interesting! Very detailed, and definitely looks challenging. I like the idea of the hall of memories. I'll have to give this one a try when I get a chance. ^_^
thank you and good luck I hope to hear back from you about it!
Test Subject
#19 Old 5th Mar 2012 at 7:29 AM
hmm... not sure how maintaining the ya lifespan is possible at first.

with a normal lifespan, you have only 16 ish days to do a lifetime worth of work... id dont think it would work.

maybe not go past adult?
idk... im trying
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#20 Old 5th Mar 2012 at 10:57 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Wabbit4odd
hmm... not sure how maintaining the ya lifespan is possible at first.

with a normal lifespan, you have only 16 ish days to do a lifetime worth of work... id dont think it would work.

maybe not go past adult?
idk... im trying
i didn't specify a lifetime limit did i hmmmm, well for one the mother's lifespan will be longer than the others, since she is a vampire i usually use longer than normal but not long either..... somewhere in between, it is supposed to seem as if she has not aged at all. I have to restart mine anyways so I am going to look into that
Test Subject
#21 Old 6th Mar 2012 at 5:29 PM
i didn't specify a lifetime limit did i hmmmm, well for one the mother's lifespan will be longer than the others, since she is a vampire i usually use longer than normal but not long either..... somewhere in between, it is supposed to seem as if she has not aged at all. I have to restart mine anyways so I am going to look into that

honestly i think my comment was a bit premature.
i did not create a father fr the first and i was worried about getting it all together why she was a ya.
but once her daughter waas born and she transformed i realized i was wrong.

the vampires age much more slowly so yea/

disregard thaat....

oh: no you didnt specify... i just stay with normal for challenges...
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#22 Old 6th Mar 2012 at 7:37 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Wabbit4odd
honestly i think my comment was a bit premature.
i did not create a father fr the first and i was worried about getting it all together why she was a ya.
but once her daughter waas born and she transformed i realized i was wrong.

the vampires age much more slowly so yea/

disregard thaat....

oh: no you didnt specify... i just stay with normal for challenges...
well i prefer to have a preference with 'fun' before i think about too challenging...
Test Subject
#23 Old 7th Mar 2012 at 12:06 AM
I'm gonna give this a go, ill even post my updates and stuff here.

Except for two things
1.) I'll take this professionally as I can.... Except I'm not doing a big lot X n X; when I'm on them my house is suuuuuper tiny and compact, while the lot is like really big and intimidating... I assume though that it doesn't really matter about the lot size, because in the end your beginning with only $500 in your bank.
2.) I'm gonna make it the Father of the Family, plot reasons >:D
Test Subject
#24 Old 7th Mar 2012 at 1:16 AM
well i prefer to have a preference with 'fun' before i think about too challenging...

yea me. too.. just my preference...

I am enjoying your challenge so far.
the mothers child just became a teen. pretty awesome so far.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#25 Old 7th Mar 2012 at 7:16 AM
im so glad u guys are enjoying it, (don't worry when i restarted, i have a different mother and i got her pregnant with my resident 'goddess' sim, i love the woohooer, and then i moved the 'goddess' out

btw katakat, you are allowed to build the home before you set their money to 500, so they have all the basics, and i would include a waht u need so she can work on her painting. and if you have ambition you can include scupltures in the hall of memories too, so i have no issue with that, i created a basic house with 2 bedrooms, 1 bath (that also had the washer and drier, a kitchen with basic stuff, cheapest stove, cheapest fridge, cheapest dishwasher(dishwashers are convenient but they end up annoying my sim more than helping when they break so that is why i put it especially that cheap one), and a garage, for my story, the 'goddess sim' gifted her this lot and home to care for the future generations, so i set it up to seem that the goddess cared a little bit, not much but a little bit. i also set up outside a place she can work on painting and sculpting, and i gave her a scribble pad, its a mod that basically does all the writing functions of a computer, or you can give them a computer, however if you give them any expensive stuff the stuff is not allowed to be sold, (if the repo man comes that is different and doesn't count)

added note: my new avatar is a picture of my 'goddess sim'
Page 1 of 2