Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 23rd Jun 2010 at 3:57 AM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 3, Ambitions
Download Help.
Ok, my game is running on a Mac Osx. Now, I'm trying to install a few novelties into my game, but it asks to move stuff to .zip folder, install some software I've never heard of, ect. I'm somewhat computer savvy, but not to the point of knowing what all the little text means. Now, I don't want to overload this Mac, so installing a 2GB program is not happening. I need someone to guide me through this, and soon please.

Thank you, Alexanderbyte

Btw, if this is in the wrong section, the posts telling me where to put this are not the most understandable.

Oh and some help is somewhere else on the forum, I apologize, Looking through all the threads is tiring.
Advertisement
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#2 Old 23rd Jun 2010 at 4:44 AM
What do you mean by "it asks to move stuff to .zip folder, install some software I've never heard of, ect." – can you please give us the exact wording of the error and which application is throwing it, or take some screenshots?

Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4 | Please do not PM me with technical questions – we have Create forums for that.

In the kingdom of the blind, do as the Romans do.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 23rd Jun 2010 at 4:51 AM
I have no idea how to take screenshots. By zip files I mean " move the file with .zip at the end" and it needs some Kooties software or whatever to play the mod. and there is no error, where did I mention an error?
And im too confused to even think of using apps.
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#4 Old 23rd Jun 2010 at 6:01 AM
Default MTS2 Staff Reply
  • Sims 3 - Installing Custom Content
    You appear to not have read our great guides to downloading and installing custom content for Sims 3.

Game_Help:TS3_Custom_Contentwiki This link contains everything you've ever wanted to know about installing .package and sims3packs.

In your first post you say that something is asking you to "move stuff to .zip folder, install some software" etc. I have no idea what you're referring to, so, again, please give us the exact wording or a screenshot. See the Help menu at the top of your screen for how to do that.
Lab Assistant
#5 Old 23rd Jun 2010 at 2:17 PM
To take screenshots, go to Applications -> Utilities -> Grab.
Once that has opened, go to the 'Capture' menu on the top bar, and select window or screen. It pops up with a little box telling you to click the screen or the window. Once the shot has been taken, go File -> save as, and save the file to your desktop or documents, and upload it here so peeps can see what it is you're talking about.

Mac-tastic Sims 3 - Tips and tutorials for making the most out of your Sims 3 experience on Mac :D
http://www.mactasticsims3.com
Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 23rd Jun 2010 at 6:17 PM
I've read the guides, they're too confusing, and they're the ones asking to move stuff with .zip in it. or like one download needs this software to play it in the game. I need someone to tell me in simplest (sp?) terms how to get this stuff in my game.

Btw, I have a picture but the forum thinks it invalid for some reason so... sorry^^
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#7 Old 23rd Jun 2010 at 6:20 PM
I'd say the guides are in pretty simple terms - they aren't meant for computer whiz people, just regular folks. They link to any software you need, and tell you how to use it whenever possible. What specific part are you stuck on? If you're stuck on multiple things, let's start with the first one - copypaste the text from the guide that is confusing you and someone can try to explain further.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#8 Old 23rd Jun 2010 at 6:32 PM
Ok, well the guide says it wants me to use some 7-zip or Keka software, something I've never heard of... and I thought it said move it to a zip folder but it says move the zip folder ( or other type ) to an easy to remember place. Do i have to download this Keka/7-zip software?
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#9 Old 23rd Jun 2010 at 6:37 PM
7-zip is Windows software. Keka is for Mac. I believe Mac has native support for the .zip format, but for .rar/.7z, you'll need an additional program, like Keka. Rar, 7z, and zip are all archive files - like a compressed folder, sort of - just different types, so some types you'll need a special program to open them.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#10 Old 23rd Jun 2010 at 6:42 PM
If you want to extract a 7zip archive, then yes, you need a software to do that. Like for example Keka .. there are others as well, but Keka looks simple to use, has an easy to read Help section here and it's free. It's not going to put any strain on your computer, it's just a small utility (right next to the download button it says 4.9MB which is really not much).

If you want to extract a zip archive you don't need to do anything special, that's built into OS X .. just double click or rightclick > Open and watch it uncompress.

Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4 | Please do not PM me with technical questions – we have Create forums for that.

Test Subject
Original Poster
#11 Old 23rd Jun 2010 at 7:15 PM
ok, well I have keka. I downloaded a file i need for a mod that lets me change the limitsd on the CAS sliders. Now, I have a file and the instructions for it. The instructions ask me to move it to the bin in the game folder in the sims 3 folder, but there is no such thing. I looked at the guide and read through but it only has instructions for Windows, and very little detail for Mac.
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#12 Old 23rd Jun 2010 at 7:29 PM
Please give us some more information:

* Which file are you trying to install? Link to the download thread, please.
* Which game version do you have? If you don't know, see here for how to find out: http://www.modthesims.info/wiki.php...ck_Game_Version
* Which "The Sims 3" folder are you looking at? There are two of them. Give us the complete path (as in /Applications/The Sims 3.app/etc or /Users/User/etc) or post a screenshot please.

It would also be helpful if you could tell us which guide or instructions you are looking at when you have questions. Copy and paste the URL from your browser address bar.

Test Subject
Original Poster
#13 Old 23rd Jun 2010 at 7:41 PM Last edited by alexanderByte : 23rd Jun 2010 at 7:51 PM.
Um.... -_- ok...

I looked at both of them, and they dont have the bin. My game is up to date. and I'm referring to the downloading guide, it doesn't have much information for Mac. oh and I have no idea how to make links.\

EDIT: I have an item I wish to download ( link: http://modthesims.info/download.php?t=383093) Ok, well I read the info, downloaded, but I have no idea how to extract.. so I cant identify and I dont know where to install...
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#14 Old 23rd Jun 2010 at 8:02 PM
By "My game is up to date" I suppose you mean you have version 1.12. It would help if you could actually take a look at your launcher and tell us whether that's the case, because it depends on your game version where you need to install custom content.

The download here: http://modthesims.info/download.php?t=383093 (Treasure Box by treeag) is a zip. You extract it exactly like I said two posts up .. doubleclick on it or rightclick > Open. That gives you a package file.

Next, please refer to this guide: http://www.modthesims.info/wiki.php...Setup_and_Files and verify that you have a /Mods/Packages folder and a resource.cfg in /Mods (you can download it there if you don't have it yet). Then put the package in that folder and that's it.

Test Subject
Original Poster
#15 Old 23rd Jun 2010 at 8:57 PM
I did what you said, however there is no way to change the file names.. When I started up Sims 3 I looked through every single category but couldn't find the chest..
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#16 Old 23rd Jun 2010 at 10:46 PM
Which file names are you trying to change .. and why?

Test Subject
Original Poster
#17 Old 23rd Jun 2010 at 11:08 PM
Um the files that are supposed to be Mods and packages.... Why does it matter? I still cannot find the chest
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#18 Old 23rd Jun 2010 at 11:26 PM
You mean the folders? To change the name of a folder, just click on it .. and type.

Test Subject
Original Poster
#19 Old 23rd Jun 2010 at 11:31 PM
Ok. I still cannot find the chest I searched everywhere and followed all the instructions.
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#20 Old 23rd Jun 2010 at 11:37 PM
Please provide a screenshot of where you're putting the package and the resource.cfg, or the exact path, and copy + paste the contents of your resource.cfg.

Test Subject
Original Poster
#21 Old 23rd Jun 2010 at 11:42 PM
As I said before the forum says my screenshots are invalid and refuses to show the shots. But I assure you, I put them in the right place that resource thing in mods and the chest in mods and packages in mods.
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#22 Old 23rd Jun 2010 at 11:51 PM
Re. "screenshots are invalid", please post the exact error message you're getting.

Re. "I put them in the right place", please give us the exact paths. "mods and packages in mods" does not sound like it would be correct, but we are not psychic and we can't look over your shoulder, so if you don't tell us what exactly you're doing we can't help you.

Please also copy+paste the contents of your resource.cfg.

Test Subject
Original Poster
#23 Old 24th Jun 2010 at 12:00 AM
I have attempted another screenshot, But the file is invalid ( copid text included )

Mods folder.tiff:
Invalid File Type
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#24 Old 24th Jun 2010 at 12:07 AM
You can't upload a tiff here; valid file types are 7z gif jpg png rar txt zip (it says so above the upload button).

How did you take this screenshot? If it was with Grab or some other utility, try taking a regular screenshot instead, that will normally result in a png which you can upload here. If you don't know the shortcuts for screenshots, they're listed in the Help at the top of your screen. Do a search for "screen shot".

Test Subject
Original Poster
#25 Old 24th Jun 2010 at 12:11 AM
I did what that other guy said to do..

I searched up "screen shot" nothing about taking screenshots.

But I assure I have all the files in the right places!!!
Locked thread | Locked by: plasticbox Reason: solved .. FAQ ftw
Page 1 of 2