Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 7th Jun 2011 at 7:25 PM
Default How to get the imaginary friend to be more than the doll?
Kid plays with this doll all the time. I keep getting messages that the doll wants to be set on the ground and its been out of inventory of about 3 sim days. I haven't seen the IF or been able to do anything buy play with the doll like normal. My kid is about 2 days from teen. Is there something else I need to do?

“We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."
Advertisement
Alchemist
#2 Old 7th Jun 2011 at 9:02 PM
Quote: Originally posted by cherry85
Kid plays with this doll all the time. I keep getting messages that the doll wants to be set on the ground and its been out of inventory of about 3 sim days. I haven't seen the IF or been able to do anything buy play with the doll like normal. My kid is about 2 days from teen. Is there something else I need to do?

My sims imaginary friend didn't come to life until my toddler aged up to a child
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 7th Jun 2011 at 9:07 PM
Mine has already aged to child and is about to hit teen.

Is the IF/doll supposed to show up in the relationship panel?

“We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."
Lab Assistant
#4 Old 7th Jun 2011 at 10:36 PM
[EDIT] Nevermind, I just reread your post. I don't think the IF pops up in the relationship panel until after he/she has come to life. Try putting the doll back in the inventory and then putting it back out on the floor maybe?
Field Researcher
#5 Old 7th Jun 2011 at 10:46 PM
I have the same problem

Please, sorry for my bad English..
Test Subject
#6 Old 8th Jun 2011 at 4:12 AM
Quote: Originally posted by harlequinzombie
[EDIT] Nevermind, I just reread your post. I don't think the IF pops up in the relationship panel until after he/she has come to life. Try putting the doll back in the inventory and then putting it back out on the floor maybe?

It has to be put outside on the ground when your toddler has changed to a child. It then comes to life and makes you crazy at times.
Lab Assistant
#7 Old 8th Jun 2011 at 5:34 AM
I know that. But cherry said that she's had the doll out of the inventory for a while now. That's why I suggested putting it back into the inventory and then taking it back out to see if maybe it would recognize it that way.
Field Researcher
#8 Old 8th Jun 2011 at 9:12 AM
I done harlequinzombie but no luck... maybe it's a bug.

Please, sorry for my bad English..
Test Subject
#9 Old 8th Jun 2011 at 9:52 AM
it works perfectly for me, i just placed the doll on the ground when he aged up to a child and the doll turned to a IF
Lab Assistant
#10 Old 8th Jun 2011 at 10:34 AM
But, do we know whether IF comes to life after the toddler has grown to child? My guess is that you'd have to have it on the floor when your toddler celebrates his/her birthday (at least it sounds like thats what people do in order to get the IF to become alive).
But of course i don't know whether its possible for the IF to age up when your sim already has aged to child? Try having it on the floor when your sim hits teen - but i can't guarentee that it helps.
Lab Assistant
#11 Old 8th Jun 2011 at 4:05 PM
I've had three IFs so far and the way it always happened for me was to keep the doll in the toddlers inventory so he/she will always play with it and increase the relationship. Then normally a few days into their child life stage and after playing with the doll some more, a notification pops up saying that "Coconut (the name of one of my IFs) wants to come out and play! Try putting Coconut on the floor and let her take a look around!" or something like that. So I went into my sims inventory and clicked-dragged the Coconut doll onto the floor of the room. Then the camera zoomed in on the doll and she turned into an IF.

I did notice that if you get the popup while the child is out of the house, the doll will not turn until the child comes back home. I got the popup one time right as my child was leaving for school on a day that she also had afterschool ballet, which meant I had quite a few hours until she came back home. I moved the doll to the floor of her room but she didn't change into an IF until after my child was home from ballet.
Lab Assistant
#12 Old 9th Jun 2011 at 4:15 PM
What I did, was this:

I had my toddler play with her doll all the time. Whenever she was not learning to walk, pee or talk, or when her dad wasnt reading for her, she would play with it. She got several notifications saying she was really liking the doll and that it was quickly becoming her favourite toy. It was always sitting in her bed when she was sleeping and stuff.

The day I got the notification that she was 1 day from aging up, I took it out of her inventory and placed it on the floor. She could still play with it, but it wouldn't go back in her inventory, but go back on the floor. When she aged up, it took maybe 1 sim hour and the doll became an imaginary friend.

I'd been so stressed about this because a lot of people were having problems, but it seems to be just about playing with/singing for the doll relentlessly.

I also notice it's not visible when someone else is active but the child. Cute. And that whenever the child is out of the house, it just becomes a doll again while she's gone.

Oh, and on a final note: I doubt it will turn into an IF when you're a teen. I guess the sim children "grow out of" the IF stage when they age up to teens. I tried everything I could to add mine to the family, and eventually it shows up in the family tree as the girl's sister, but it's still not possible - not even using mods or cheats - to make the IF active. So I guess something in EAs coding is making that impossible.

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-bitch." - Jack Nicholson
Test Subject
#13 Old 12th Jun 2011 at 3:33 AM
Quote: Originally posted by jennydb91
What I did, was this:

I had my toddler play with her doll all the time. Whenever she was not learning to walk, pee or talk, or when her dad wasnt reading for her, she would play with it. She got several notifications saying she was really liking the doll and that it was quickly becoming her favourite toy. It was always sitting in her bed when she was sleeping and stuff.

The day I got the notification that she was 1 day from aging up, I took it out of her inventory and placed it on the floor. She could still play with it, but it wouldn't go back in her inventory, but go back on the floor. When she aged up, it took maybe 1 sim hour and the doll became an imaginary friend.

I'd been so stressed about this because a lot of people were having problems, but it seems to be just about playing with/singing for the doll relentlessly.

I also notice it's not visible when someone else is active but the child. Cute. And that whenever the child is out of the house, it just becomes a doll again while she's gone.

Oh, and on a final note: I doubt it will turn into an IF when you're a teen. I guess the sim children "grow out of" the IF stage when they age up to teens. I tried everything I could to add mine to the family, and eventually it shows up in the family tree as the girl's sister, but it's still not possible - not even using mods or cheats - to make the IF active. So I guess something in EAs coding is making that impossible.

there is potion t that a sim can make with the chem set that will trun the IF in to real sim once a sim has made give it to the kid who Has the IF they can turn the IF
in to a real sim You may have to have high relationship with the IF
Test Subject
#14 Old 12th Jun 2011 at 4:02 PM
You have to have a high relationship with your IF doll before it becomes alive. Once you're a teen it won't change for you anymore, although you can still play with it. I turned mine into a "real boy". It looked like the parents a little. Also, it married the sister and all their kids can change into toy form. Its pretty cool and creepy at the same time!
Test Subject
#15 Old 25th Feb 2013 at 12:42 PM Last edited by leefish : 14th Dec 2013 at 3:03 PM. Reason: Merged posts: 4080647, 4080556
Hi

I have 2 toddlers and 1 as a special doll,i fell bad for the other toddler she away wants to play with it but her sister wont let her.I was wonder if i could buy or get a special doll from some where? PLEASE HELP THANKS

Please if any one can help me please!!!
Test Subject
#16 Old 27th Feb 2013 at 1:21 PM
I've been having the same problem, but with younger children. But I think that these posts were pretty helpful--so I should make my toddler play with it a lot and then leave it on the ground so it can age up? Thanks for your help!
Lab Assistant
#17 Old 1st Aug 2013 at 7:36 PM
Actually, none of this stuff worked for me. The only way apparently for the IF to turn into friend form is if it is sitting outside of your inventory when you age up into a child. I had to revert my sim back into a toddler using "edit in cas" and then trigger age transition again. The imaginary friend sprung to life immediately after she aged up into a child. The IFs are just really, really buggy and stupid if you want my two cents.
Test Subject
#18 Old 6th Aug 2013 at 9:45 PM
When your sim is a toddler, make sure he/she plays with the friend alot, then when the sim is a child, make it make potions continusly until it makes an imaginary friend one
Inventor
#19 Old 14th Dec 2013 at 1:04 PM
The one thing I noticed from the previous posts is that the one that was successful double clicked to move from inventory to floor, so I am off to try that.

Some people have a Guardian Angel, you know a little guy sitting on your shoulder that tells you right from wrong, but mine is an Idiot.
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#20 Old 14th Dec 2013 at 2:00 PM
None of mine ever became alive, and the kids played with them to obsessional levels all the time. They were in the inventory, on the ground, indoors and out...

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Lab Assistant
#21 Old 14th Dec 2013 at 5:23 PM
Hosting a tea party from the fridge is pretty much the only way mine become alive. the odd time from my children's birthday parties. though i always send my kids to boarding school right after and once they get home i delete the imaginery friend lol.
Inventor
#22 Old 15th Dec 2013 at 8:53 AM
I tried the tea party thing in Egypt and both my kids ended up on the Mosque lot in their formal clothes ;( I have raised 6 kids to kid zone all with dolls and none of them are getting up to play ;( maybe I have to let them be toddlers more than 4 days *LOL*

Some people have a Guardian Angel, you know a little guy sitting on your shoulder that tells you right from wrong, but mine is an Idiot.
Field Researcher
#23 Old 15th Dec 2013 at 10:54 AM
I think if you have Nraas debug enabler you can force the IF to come alive if it doesn't do so the normal way. I had to do it that way with my last family. The kid played with the doll and got the message as a toddler that he took a liking to it and he continued to play with the doll constantly as a child but I never got the "Doll would like to come out and play" message for him so I forced the doll to come alive and made it real with a potion.
Test Subject
#24 Old 7th Apr 2014 at 10:42 AM
I also had a problem in the IF. Well, when my triplets became child, it took 2 minutes (same in 2 Sim hours) to become IF. And when the triplets became teens, they still in child stage. And in the next Sim day, they're still in child stage. I know it's not work in cheats, or mods or in nraas. I think I will restart my family. Again...
Inventor
#25 Old 7th Apr 2014 at 11:16 AM
Page 1 of 2