Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 15th May 2016 at 1:25 PM Last edited by trap lorde : 20th May 2016 at 5:43 PM.
Default Custom GEOM based sliders - how to fix messed up mesh data?
Hello, I tried to make a lip slider for YF/AF.
The simgeom itself looked fine. I exported with We's simgeom export/import plugin for milkshape.
And got a messed up slider in game:

I tried fixing the morph simgeom via the meshing toolkit, I tried replacing the vertex IDs , tangents and tagvals from the original af_lod_0 but I still get the same mess in game. What now? Is there a way to fix it? What is causing the mess? The vertex IDs?

♘ visit my tumblr here
Advertisement
Virtual gardener
staff: administrator
#2 Old 15th May 2016 at 1:48 PM
It seems that there are some bones that are in the right places. In the picture you can see that you also added the tongue, the ear, and I guess a vertex from the inside of the mouth as well. I suppose this all works with some weight paint (I might be wrong about that though, since I've only seen a few tutorials but never really tried it myself.) to make sure you don't add the ear part and the tongue with it.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 15th May 2016 at 1:56 PM Last edited by trap lorde : 15th May 2016 at 4:13 PM.
The problem is that I havent moved these verts :-( This is why I dont understand whats going on. The last pic is the altered simgeom that I exported as morph. It looked fine there.

I don't think the bones or the weight paint causing the problem. My guess: the fuckin vertex IDs :-o

UPDATE: the morph looks now less messed up, but some verts are still in the wrong position
the morph:

ingame:

I tried fixing it via the toolkit from Cmar and with the autonum vertex ID tool by We's for milkshape. Still the same mess..
HELP
Attached files:
File Type: zip  [traplorde] messy slider.zip (32.4 KB, 40 downloads) - View custom content
Description: simgeom, bgeo and package file

♘ visit my tumblr here
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#4 Old 20th May 2016 at 5:41 PM
Maybe the vertices from the morph mesh are too far away from the base meshes vertices and this is why the mesh data is not getting transferred correctly?
But why is the data getting messed up while i stay in milkshape where alle the necessary mesh data is imported via Wes plugin??? Btw Im following all the necessary export steps, I guess the export is not the problem...

(Cmar and Bloom were are you guys. I need your wisdom.)

I need help. I can't explain myself whats the problem.

HELP.

♘ visit my tumblr here
Virtual gardener
staff: administrator
#5 Old 21st May 2016 at 12:05 AM
I think it's the weight paint if I look at it >-< I've had a lot of creations that looked like this, and they all had the 'weighting' problem. What happens if your reduce the polycount? Beause it seems that every time I click on the bgeo file in the package, S3PE needs to load a few seconds longer than it does with other files, which usually means that there is either a lot of data it needs to pick up or it's really high polycount.

Also, high polycount creations could cause really weird looking meshes with these spikes kind of meshes in-game. I experience it a lot with clothing and other creations myself and it usually tells me that I need to split it in 2 groups (which I guess isn't possible here >-<)
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
#6 Old 21st May 2016 at 4:15 AM Last edited by CmarNYC : 21st May 2016 at 4:33 AM.
This is a geom-based morph so weights aren't the problem.

I attached pics below - the slider looks fine on the Adult, but is distorted on the Young Adult. You made one morph mesh for both, didn't you? Unfortunately the base face meshes are different for every age, so the Adult and YA faces are slightly different, including slightly different vertex numbering. You have to make a separate morph mesh for every age. Sorry, but that's just the way it is and I don't know of any shortcut.

Sorry this isn't more helpful but at least you know what the problem is!
Screenshots

Please do not PM me with mod, tutorial, or general modding questions or problems; post them in the thread for the mod or tutorial or post them in the appropriate forum.

Visit my blogs for other Sims content:
Online Sims - general mods for Sims 3
Offline Sims - adult mods for Sims 3 and Sims 4
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#7 Old 21st May 2016 at 10:49 AM
Wow ok thank you Cmar you slay!!! *intense scream*
Yes I thought yf and af are using the same lod_0 hahahaha fail. Is there something like a yf_lod_0 or something?

♘ visit my tumblr here
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
#8 Old 21st May 2016 at 11:25 AM
Sadly, no. It makes face mesh morphs a real pain in the behind because you have to do at least 10 morph meshes. (Lod0 and lod1 for child, teen, YA, adult, and elder.)

Please do not PM me with mod, tutorial, or general modding questions or problems; post them in the thread for the mod or tutorial or post them in the appropriate forum.

Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#9 Old 21st May 2016 at 12:42 PM
Ughh. And how do I alter the young female face if there is no yf_lod? (There must be one right?)
Just another question: how can I put f.e. a custom normal map in a slider (like the smooth normals face mod)?
And is there a way to replace the default breats slider? I made some custom boobs meshes as tops with subdivided faces and stuff, but EAs breast morph (the one on the first tab where the muscle map slider and the other body morphs are) ruins the mesh every time. Is it possible to replace it with a cutom one?

Sry all these questions :-0

♘ visit my tumblr here
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
#10 Old 22nd May 2016 at 12:25 AM
Oh, sorry, I misread your question. Yes, there's a yf_lod0. I think it's yfFace_lod0_3.

You can modify the normals in a morph mesh the same way you can modify the vertex positions, and the slider will apply them the same way.

The breast slider is a bone morph. If your tops don't work with it, check the bone weights on the breast area of your mesh, maybe using an EA top as an example. If you subdivided faces, the weights may need to be adjusted to smooth the morph.

Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#11 Old 22nd May 2016 at 5:08 PM Last edited by trap lorde : 22nd May 2016 at 6:22 PM.
Thanks hahahaaaa, I will fix my sliders now :-)

Yes, it has to be a weightning problem with my boobie meshes (I have no breast weight, just spine weight around that area because its so heard to select verts in milkshape...), I thought the breast slider is also geom-based but now I know the truth. THANKS again.

EDIT: I can't transfer the verts position via the toolkit, it says invalid number of verts (when I try to transfer the verts position form the af morph to the yf ref geom)
So I have to do make all yf morphs again???

♘ visit my tumblr here
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
#12 Old 23rd May 2016 at 8:34 AM
Unfortunately, yes, there's no tool to transfer positions the way you want so you have to make each morph. You can't use a morph made for one mesh on a different mesh.

Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#13 Old 29th May 2016 at 8:23 PM
Thx :-) Where can I find the lod_0 for yf and yf nude tops? I can do a geom based body slider with the morphing toolkit too, right?

♘ visit my tumblr here
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
#14 Old 30th May 2016 at 10:46 PM
I think the adult tops for both yf and af are called afTopNude_lod0 etc.

You can't use a geom slider for the body. You can make one, but as soon as the sim changes to another clothing mesh the morph will cause distortions. So unless you plan to keep the sim nude all the time it won't work.

BTW, the closest thing to a shortcut I can think of for doing face morphs is to import all the base meshes, duplicate them and set up the morph meshes, hide the base meshes and make your changes to all the morphs at once. Then move one base mesh to the top of the groups list, move its morph right under it, and export that morph. Repeat for each of the other base/morph pairs.

Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#15 Old 1st Jun 2016 at 9:40 AM
Thanks, sounds handy :-)

So instead of making body sliders it makes more sense to make custom nude meshes I knew it :-/

Just another question not related to the topic: I'm very annoyed by the way bone assignements are done in milkshape (selecting verts and set the value). Would it be possible to export the sim rig by Wes as collada or fbx, to import it to another 3D app, drawing a smooth bone assignement there for a custom mesh and reimport the file as collada or fbx in milkshape? If this would work it would save so much time. Smooth bone assignement is so important for more extraordinary meshes where its had to find a good reference mesh...

♘ visit my tumblr here
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
#16 Old 2nd Jun 2016 at 12:53 PM
I don't know of any tool to do that. If the other 3D program you want to work with can import/export .ms3d you should be able to do it that way.

Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#17 Old 2nd Jun 2016 at 1:16 PM
Ak okay. MS3D is no usual file. I will try with fbx and dae (I heard that both files export meshes wth bones and weights). Because if this woulf work, things will get much easier

♘ visit my tumblr here
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#18 Old 4th Jun 2016 at 6:33 PM
Sry for repost. Im having some problems with making the lips sliders for yf. EVERY slider I make is doing weird things to the teeth and the middle vert of the lower mouth. Even tho the mesh itself looks fine... ait happens always when I open the mouth ;-(

♘ visit my tumblr here