Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 5th Feb 2016 at 7:06 PM
Default How to recolor ponytail hair?
I want to make these two hairs

and

but i have no idea how to. How should I go about this?
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 10th Feb 2016 at 5:49 PM
http://simswiki.info/wiki.php%3Ftit...-_Texture_Files

I'm not sure if you need help meshing that I can't help you with. But with retexturing I can. you'll want to edit the control to the hair that will give you the look, you want to. The control of the hair is what control the colour to the hair. Red is for roots, green is highlights which cover all the hair and blue is the tips. I don't usually do half, half colouring but I'm sure that using the tip and roots in an ombre affect would get the bottom two affect and same with the top.

I don't know how much you know about retexturing so I'll give a run down what I do. (I've never done a hair from scratch only others work)
You'll need:
Delphy's Sims 3 Pack Multi-Extracter (optional) S3PE S3OC (if needed you use this for cloning)
Gimp
Brushes for Gimp: http://whitecrowsims.tumblr.com/pos...hes-for-gimp-26
A dds add on for Gimp (I can't remember what I use)
A texture and (optional) a control. (make sure they are .dds format)

1) Open up the hair package in S3pe. Look for the _IMG. There are usually three but there might be more. You are looking for the diffuse/texture. Right click on it go to export - to file and name.dds at end.
Make sure to put .dds because S3PE doesn't have an auto file type.
2) Open Gimp (if not already), open the diffuse/texture file exported from hair.
3) Now open the diffuse/texture file. You can open and copy or open as layer just make sure that both files are facing the same direction.
4) If you copy the texture in make sure that you do it as a new layer.
5) The texture that you want to replace the hair diffuse with must be on top.
6) Look at your layers panel. Change the replacement textures layer mode to Value (it is right at the bottom)
7) Right click top layer and merge down.
8) You can pull the replacement texture up or down, never side to side (never advisable to stretch longer) and you may need to image - transform to change the direction your hair diffuse is facing (just
remember to return it to its original direction). Also when moving the replacement texture around always make sure to right click on layer and layer to image size. If your _img file changes size this will
effect how the textures look on your hair. Always do it automatically when altering the replacement diffuse position because even an extra inch can throw it off.
9) In the newer version of gimp you need to export your images to save. Your compression value is BC3/DXT5
10) Don't close your new texture replacement we are making the specular now. The specular will predict how shiny the hair will be.
11) All you need to do is create a new layer using a black/foreground colour (this is actually optional but I use it to help guide me with the shininess) and move it below the texture.
12) Click on the texture layer, click colours, click levels. Move input levels right to you are happy with the shininess, you can play with output levels as well. Click okay.
13) Merge both layers again
14) Export as new file.
15) Now you'll either want to reopen your newly created retexture or just ctrl z to you get back to white texture you are now using for the hair.
16) Now for the control. (I like to have a black back ground here as well but again this is optional)
17) Go to the layers panel again. click on the channels (the red green icon) Click on the red and blue layers. Your hair should be green now.
18) Go to edit, make sure the black background is not visible and click on copy visible. Paste the green hair into a new layer, delete the old texture, reactivate the red and blue channels. Make black
background visible.
19) Repeat 12 until your satisfied with its look. Create a new transparent layer on top and set the mode to addition. and turn off the black background again.
20) Now look at the Toolbox, 2nd last line should be the brush click on that. In the layers/brushes you'll see the brushes. Click on the blue/tips or red/roots brushes you downloaded from Whitecrow.
Now at the Toolbox adjust brush size to a desired size. For what you want to do they will probably have to be big.
13) Apply the brushes on the transparent layer where you want roots and tips. You will probably have to play around/ redo this to get the effect right. Truth be told if you ever, it all predicts how the
control has been set up to interact with the mesh. This applies to getting the highlights and specular correct as well. After you do a few 1000 (at least it feels) hairs, your gut will guide you.
14) Once your satisfied how the control looks. Merge all including the black background if desired and export.
15) Now back to s3pe. Find the texture _img you want to replace. Right click, replace, you most likely going to have to type in the file name you want and open. Repeat this with other two specular and control
and save/save as.
16) Test in game.
17) By the way if you are using a downloaded control just change the layer mode to addition. If you just want the highlights and the freedom of the Gimp brushes. Just turn off the red and blue channels, copy
visible and save. You now have a control with just the highlights.

I hope I've gone into enough detail and actually make sense to guide you with hair retexturing.