Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 12th Mar 2016 at 4:02 PM
Default Modding question. Is it possible to 'layer' clothing like you can do with accessories?
Hey there, I'm looking at putting some RWBY and Last Airbender/Legend of Korra outfits I made in Blender a while back for Skyrim and Fallout 4 into Sims 3, and I want to know if it's possible for something like this to be done. Here's a link to my imgur gallery if you want to check them out.

http://andywilkins.imgur.com

There's a lot of clothing mods around that either include two pieces of clothing as a one piece, or just the dress and the jacket on their own as separate pieces. So with that in mind, is there a way to mark clothing so that multiple pieces can be layered like the way accessories can?
Advertisement
Virtual gardener
staff: administrator
#2 Old 12th Mar 2016 at 11:58 PM
I am doing something familiar to this. In dragon age Inquisition, your character can change the coat they're wearing and I wanted that in the sims 3 as well. So I did the same thing you would convert to the sims 3, but left some space so the jacket also had space so it 'layers'.

This is what I have done:

So this is the UV map of the Jacket I was talking about:

I will fool the game in thinking that the jacket belongs in the 'top' catergory in-game,

And this is the UV map of the 'bottom':

I will also fool the game into thinking that the bottom part belongs in the 'bottom' catergory in-game, even though it's a full body mesh.
But here is what's important when it comes to the UV mapping. You don't want the texture overlay on, well say the jacket overlay's the pants. It will look really weird to see pieces of the jacket texture on the pants. So what I did here was, say it would have been a full outfit, the UV map doesn't overlay the other UV map

This is probably a really unclear explanation, but I guess that's the only way to overlay them like you would with Accessories. It's a great way if you don't want your Accessory to get all blurry because you're adding another accessory. To see why accessories act that way, I posted about it here: http://greenplumbboblover.tumblr.co...ory-gets-blurry
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 13th Mar 2016 at 7:27 AM
^
So what you're saying is that you're essentially marking the jacket as belonging in the 'top' category, while the rest of the outfit is marked as the 'bottom category? If they're both separate meshes, than there shouldn't be any issues with their UV maps overlapping the others, correct?

So if I marked say, the jacket of the character so that it goes in the 'accessory catagory, while I mark the dress as the 'top' and the leggings as the 'bottom', than that's how I would be able to do this?
Virtual gardener
staff: administrator
#4 Old 13th Mar 2016 at 2:10 PM
There are many ways! But both are one of them. Thing is though, that you have all the space when it comes to UV mapping a accessory although adding other Accessories could make it really blurry looking. But the way of having the jacket being an accessory, the top being the dress and the bottom being the leggings isn't a bad idea as well! But the way I did it is also an option, so there are multiple options when it comes to 'layering' your meshes. ^-^