Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Alchemist
Original Poster
#1 Old 19th Mar 2016 at 6:21 PM
Default Editing SIMGEOM files in Blender?
Disclaimer: I'm a noob at meshing, currrently relying on the tutorials here to learn.

I already have the .simgeom files of the CAS part (a top) I want to edit, cleanly extracted with S3PE.
Downloaded Blender v2.76, wanted to get the plugins to be able to open them in Blender, but ran into an issue:
http://modthesims.info/t/355471 - plugins seem to be good only for Blender 2.4.
http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=443780 - plugins are also outdated and, apparently, abandoned.

I've looked all over the place for more info, but I can't find anything useful on the topic. I can't even open the .simgeoms; with GEOM enabled, I get a line 131 and 44 error, with RIG enabled I get even more errors.

So my questions are:
1. Is there anything I'm missing in getting this to work?
2. Do I have to downgrade to 2.63 (which some people in that thread apparently also had problems with), or pick another program entirely?

Thank you for your time.

Tumblr - more downloads! ◾ CC reuploads / creator backupsTS3 CAS Conversion Catalog - for basegame, EP, SP, and Store clothing!
Advertisement
Virtual gardener
staff: administrator
#2 Old 19th Mar 2016 at 6:52 PM
Blender and the sims 3 plugin always crash on me. I have only successfully imported and exported something only once. Which you can do (what I usually do) Is in TSRW, export the mesh you want as a obj. then your export it when you're done and finish it in Milkshape. There are a lot of people who uses 3DS Max when it comes to meshing and plugins because in Blender, they're just not stable enough to actually work. Which is a shame. The only plugin that seems to work for me is the plugins for poses.
So I guess you either have to work your way around or you probably should use another program.
Alchemist
Original Poster
#3 Old 19th Mar 2016 at 8:54 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Greenplumbbob
Blender and the sims 3 plugin always crash on me. I have only successfully imported and exported something only once. Which you can do (what I usually do) Is in TSRW, export the mesh you want as a obj. then your export it when you're done and finish it in Milkshape. There are a lot of people who uses 3DS Max when it comes to meshing and plugins because in Blender, they're just not stable enough to actually work. Which is a shame. The only plugin that seems to work for me is the plugins for poses.
So I guess you either have to work your way around or you probably should use another program.

Thank you for the speedy reply! So Blender's pretty much useless for this on its own? I have seen some posts from people saying they switch between several meshing programs when creating CC, but I was hoping there was some way to avoid that, as having multiple programs for the same thing is kind of redundant. I'll take a look at something else then, hopefully I'll be able to open something in there, lol.

Is 3DS Max good for Sims 3 content? In terms of not jumping through too many hoops, that is.

Tumblr - more downloads! ◾ CC reuploads / creator backupsTS3 CAS Conversion Catalog - for basegame, EP, SP, and Store clothing!
Virtual gardener
staff: administrator
#4 Old 20th Mar 2016 at 12:36 AM
I'm not using it myself, I usually use Blender for meshing sims things, although I am going to teach myself how to use Maya. Anyway, I know almost all (almost all, my bad) the hair creators uses 3DS max. Also a few furniture creators that I know that are pretty famous in their work, the rest of them uses wings 3D but I don't really like the way Wings 3D is, but everyone has a meshing program that they are comfortable with and usually promote that one program.
It's just sad that Blender doesn't work with ts3 plugins, even though all the plugins I download for Blender that doesn't involve the sims can be used properly, even thought they're like 12 versions back.

I'm not sure about Cinema 4D, but if you just mesh in it, I guess you'll be fine. I wouldn't use programs who has all these special functions on normals changing or like options to make the mesh giving some breaking effect, or whatever, because those are likely to break the content in the game because they're not compatible with the game. SO if you keep it to meshing and don't do crazy options on the mesh (Which I have seen a lot of people do and had a lot of errors with it in TSRW) You're completely fine with everything ^-^