Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 9th Jul 2016 at 2:35 AM Last edited by Midgetskeemer98 : 9th Jul 2016 at 4:10 AM.
Default Help installing mods through origin!
I apologize in advance if this is in the wrong category, I don't post here much. Anyway, I lost my old copy of the base game so I had to buy the sims 3 starter pack for my new laptop. I have the game installed, but of course since it's a new copy it installed through origin. What I did was I went to my Program Files -> Origin Games -> Sims 3 -> and created a mods and package folder you know the usual. I have the resource file and everything. But when I go to extract the file into the packages folder it tells me it "Cannot open file as archive," and the file just doesn't show up in the folder. What am I doing wrong?
Screenshots

I am the pet named Steve
Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 9th Jul 2016 at 5:53 AM
I'm probably wrong but it looks like you're trying to unzip a package file? Did you try just copying and pasting it instead? If it's a package file it doesn't need extracting & can't be unzipped.
Mad Poster
#3 Old 9th Jul 2016 at 6:43 AM
I will also add that the Framework you are trying to set up hasn't been a supported configuration since before Patch 1.12, around six years ago now. Mods/Packages, Resource.cfg, etc. belong in your TS3 game folder in Documents, not in Program Files.

http://modthesims.info/wiki.php?tit...Setup_and_Files

http://modthesims.info/wiki.php?tit..._Way_to_New_Way
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 9th Jul 2016 at 2:21 PM
Quote: Originally posted by igazor
I will also add that the Framework you are trying to set up hasn't been a supported configuration since before Patch 1.12, around six years ago now. Mods/Packages, Resource.cfg, etc. belong in your TS3 game folder in Documents, not in Program Files.

http://modthesims.info/wiki.php?tit...Setup_and_Files

http://modthesims.info/wiki.php?tit..._Way_to_New_Way

I don't have a TS3 folder since it installed through origin.

I am the pet named Steve
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 9th Jul 2016 at 2:22 PM Last edited by Midgetskeemer98 : 9th Jul 2016 at 2:35 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by lucy kemnitzer
I'm probably wrong but it looks like you're trying to unzip a package file? Did you try just copying and pasting it instead? If it's a package file it doesn't need extracting & can't be unzipped.

Tried it, doesn't work

I am the pet named Steve
Scholar
#6 Old 9th Jul 2016 at 5:49 PM
Midgetskeemer, you should still have a TS3 documents folder. The game doesn't run without it!

Are you on Windows 10? I've seen some people say that they can't find their TS3 documents folder at first because Windows 10 puts their folder in something called "One Drive." I don't have Windows 10 so I am not sure what this is or what you need to do about it. If you do have Windows 10, look at the threads about it, I believe the solutions are there.
Mad Poster
#7 Old 9th Jul 2016 at 5:54 PM
My game is all Origin as well. The behavior of the game folder (wherever it is) and mods does not change on Origin, Steam, or Disc installs, it's all the same. And it's where the Mods Framework belongs, not in Programs.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#8 Old 9th Jul 2016 at 8:44 PM
Well I managed to get the TS3 folder back, but only when I installed one of my expansion packs (which don't work) but I did manage to get some downloads into my game.

I am the pet named Steve
Scholar
#9 Old 10th Jul 2016 at 12:09 AM
So sometimes when you launch the game, Origin decides not to find your expansion packs. You should always check on the expansion pack window of the launcher. It might show all your packs, with a check mark--that's fine, everything's in order and you should be able to play normally. Or it might invite you to add in "new" packs, and show your packs with some of them unckecked: you need to check the boxes for the unchecked ones in that case. Or it might just list some of your packs and not see the others. I just abort the launch in that case and re-launch the game. It never takes more than two or three tries for me to get it right. As a last resort you can un-install and re-install the expansion packs, but I've never had to do that.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#10 Old 10th Jul 2016 at 12:48 AM
Update: I figured it out

I am the pet named Steve
Test Subject
#11 Old 25th Feb 2017 at 2:48 PM
I know this is now 7 months old.

Midgetskeemer98 how did you solve the issue? I am having the same problem and it's driving me insane!
dodgy builder
#12 Old 25th Feb 2017 at 3:05 PM
I experienced the same when I installed win10 on my homemade computer. That is if it installs on OneDrive. I probably just went searching for settings somewhere. It's rediculous really to install in some external place on the internet.
Mad Poster
#13 Old 25th Feb 2017 at 7:36 PM
I don't believe the OneDrive thing and putting our game folders in the Cloud are really intended behavior. There is I think usually a Documents folder in there someplace, for those who have OD activated, and the game tends to confuse it with the "real" user Documents folder. All of this Win 10 and OneDrive witchcraft and voodoo stuff didn't exist, or rather it wasn't all structured the way it is today, back when the game and its installers were designed.

But rogue user game folders, although less likely for other reasons, can end up anywhere.

Maybe this will all get fixed when Patch 1.71 comes out. (looks very nervous all of a sudden and runs away)
Field Researcher
#14 Old 26th Feb 2017 at 5:10 AM
Just disable OneDrive, that should fix it

I am MOHAAPlayer on Discord