Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 15th Jan 2012 at 3:05 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 3
Default .package files have no program icon
Hello everyone. I am brand new to this website and i am brand new to the world of sims. I have recently got the Sims 3. and only the base game, nothing else.

I want to use some mods ( or whatever you call it ) and i can't make .package files work. I have read the tutorial and the FAQs three times over and I can't see where I've gone wrong.

I have gone to my Sims 3 folder through my documents, NOT through program files, and i have downloaded and unzipped the FrameworkSetup file into the Sims 3 folder. I got the Mods folder and in it the Packages, Overrides and Resource files. Everything is fine until this point but when i open the packages folder, the .package files do not have the little Sims 3 icon next to them (as in my computer has no program to open them with). They just have the little blank sheet icon. I have restarted my computer and nothing has changed.

I have Sims 3 properly installed and i've been playing it for a month now, so what is the problem?

.sims3pack files have the sims 3 icon and they work properly.

Thank you for your time
Advertisement
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#2 Old 15th Jan 2012 at 3:28 PM
What icon they have is utterly irrelevant; what matters is that they're in the right place, with the folders set up properly. There's some images on the FAQ where you get the FrameworkSetup.zip so you can compare your setup to how it's supposed to be to make sure everything's in the right place.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 15th Jan 2012 at 3:51 PM
Yes, I have seen the pictures. The icon, though, does matter. It having no Sims 3 icon means it can't open, it's impossible for it to work.

There's no folder for the Sims 3 (or EA) in my Program Files. I think that is the problem. Could this be because I bought/downloaded it off Steam?
retired moderator
#4 Old 15th Jan 2012 at 4:03 PM
No, the icon doesn't matter - really. The game only cares whether it is a .package file, whether it is in the right place, and whether it has a Resource.cfg file in the right place with the right contents to tell it where to look for .package files. The icon it has is simply the Windows program association for when you double-click/right-click to open. Sims 3 doesn't care what Windows opens the files with - if it didn't know how to handle .package files, it couldn't work at all, since its own data files are mostly .package files.

The Steam version works identically to the disk/Origin versions as far as .package files are concerned. Try deleting the Mods folder that you've made with the FrameworkSetup.zip and try redownloading it and unzipping it again. Make sure the only files you have in Mods\Packages are the two that come with it, and then load the game to test 'em.

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 15th Jan 2012 at 4:16 PM
Thank you, I've found and solved the problem. Right clicked on the upopenable package files and I set them to "open with" the Sims3 Launcher and now they work.
retired moderator
#6 Old 15th Jan 2012 at 4:18 PM
That really wouldn't fix the problem. The Launcher does not read .package files - it's for .sims3pack files. Whatever fixed it, it ain't that.

Forum Resident
#7 Old 15th Jan 2012 at 8:47 PM
You must have got lucky. HystericalParoxysm is the GURU of Sims games. You can trust any responses from this source. None of the .package icons in the "MOD-Package" folder have any picture icons. In fact, if you have a lot of other extensioned files (.jpg. etc) in your Mod package folder you could be having a problem.