Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Banned
Original Poster
#1 Old 21st Nov 2008 at 3:15 AM
Default Repairing broken texture files.
I have been keeping an eye on these skins for a while - for some reason, they have never worked properly for me. The swatches for them would show up in my game and everything, but they refused to actually work on the sim itself (all I would get was the Maxis lightest skintone).

http://nene.modthesims2.com/downloa...5#startcomments

It was embarrassing because there I was saying they didn't work properly, and everyone else kept saying, oh they work fine for me, blah blah blah blah...

Anyways, that is insignificant. Since obviously no one else was going to do anything I decided to investigate the problem myself. After exporting the texture files with BS - I saw the problem right there, clear as day.

The texture files didn't actually contain any texture files. All that was in there was a swatch.

Honestly I'm not sure what to do. I would try to fix the problem myself, but I don't know what to do since all of the texture files are completely missing as it is..

Any suggestions?
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 21st Nov 2008 at 4:38 AM
The texture files are there, but they are located in packages outside the main package from what I can tell. Be sure that you have the most recent color inable package and the most recent patch for your game. It may be a conflict with the expansion you have installed as well.

[COLOR=DarkRed][I]I think that the only real way to be hypocrisy free is to stand up for nothing…and I’d rather deal with sometimes being a hypocrite than wake up one day, prostrate in my own apathy.
. *Me*
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#3 Old 21st Nov 2008 at 10:24 AM
CEP has nothing to do with skintones or anything except object recolours. It -only- enables recolours for objects that only had one colour option before.

The files have the textures in them - I don't know what you're looking at that only has swatches, but I just popped open the Apricot version in SimPE and it's full of textures, not just swatches.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Banned
Original Poster
#4 Old 21st Nov 2008 at 11:01 AM Last edited by RejectedxReality : 21st Nov 2008 at 11:10 AM.
There we go again, making me look like a fool.

I exported the textures with B.S hoping I could maybe fix them but there was nothing there but a lone swatch file...

Could it be because I only have the core game that this problem is happening?
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#5 Old 21st Nov 2008 at 11:23 AM
Not meaning to make you feel like a fool, just trying to find out what the trouble is. Enough people are having trouble with that skin that something is an issue... just hard to pin down what.

It's possible it's because of the base game only...

What you can do is find a custom skin file that you're 100% sure works for you in the base game with no problems.

Open up it in one copy of SimPE. Open up the non-working skin in another.

Then go down the list of resources, in Plugin View, comparing one to another. See if you can see what's different. Maybe it's a missing resource or three, or extra ones... or something in the Property Set/Skintone Overlay XML files. Number of material definitions should be the same between files, but the number of textures (TXTRs) can vary (just so you're aware - if a skintone shares textures between ages, it may have less).

If you find different stuff, you can post about it here and I can take a look. I'd poke at the files myself, but I've got other stuff I should be using my time for lately.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Doing all the things, and *mostly* not failing.
retired moderator
#6 Old 21st Nov 2008 at 2:15 PM
The creator says she has Pets, maybe she hasn't patched her game? Could that be it?
Banned
Original Poster
#7 Old 21st Nov 2008 at 5:29 PM
That's weird, because this guy's other alien skins worked properly for me...
Banned
Original Poster
#8 Old 21st Nov 2008 at 8:13 PM
Hmm, I used SimPE to check it out - the working skin the I used had all the proper image (texture) files as it should, but the non-working skin had SOME image files that weren't even named properly but most of them were weird looking files that don't look like they belong there.
retired moderator
#9 Old 24th Nov 2008 at 5:57 PM
: waves magic wand : Are they fixed now? ...Prolly not.

Try something, redownload, stick the images into a new package, play around. We can't fix your problem remotely. The only way to get something to work is to work at it.
Banned
Original Poster
#10 Old 25th Nov 2008 at 12:17 AM
I've redownloaded them many, many times and it doesn't work... but how do I stick the images into a new package? How does that work?
retired moderator
#11 Old 25th Nov 2008 at 1:15 AM
Open them up in SimPE, export all the images. Open Bodyshop and create a skin using those textures.
Banned
Original Poster
#12 Old 28th Nov 2008 at 1:40 AM
I tried to single out all the texuture files, I couldn't really figure out how to do it well but it didn't work anyway..
Banned
Original Poster
#13 Old 29th Nov 2008 at 4:06 PM
Okay then.